Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
A Royal Stetson I bought last year, dates about late 40's to early 50's. 2 1/2 inch raw brim. Couldn't think of a good Stetson thread to post it to, so it's here. For an inexpensive hat, the felt has a wonderful feel.
Mike, you just seem to be on a roll with your Borsalino and Stetson finds.

Inexpensive maybe, great get definitely!!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Hat roulette where I may have sent the ball sailing off the wheel. I’ll probably end up losing on this lot.

A wool Western with a fake leather sweat.

View attachment 486611

View attachment 486614

View attachment 486612

View attachment 486613

A late ‘20s or ‘30s (?) Dobbs derby with some issues.

View attachment 486616

View attachment 486615

View attachment 486617

Guessing it was from the Franklin store based on what was behind the sweat.

View attachment 486618

View attachment 486619

Folks on the Bay call that character, Bob.

A nice Resistol that went under the radar as the auction house only showed interior pics of the size tag and “DeKalb Winner” and never mentioned Resistol or San Antonio. It was simply listed as “Hat”.

These are as arrived, so excuse the dust.

View attachment 486571

View attachment 486570

View attachment 486572

View attachment 486573

View attachment 486574

View attachment 486575

The horsehair band was a nice bonus

View attachment 486569

“If it fits, it ships!”

View attachment 486568

This is the referenced DeKalb I’m pretty sure.

View attachment 486578

They gave a top FFA award per chapter (since 1947) and this might have been part of that.
It's a winner. Is it beige, grey or off-white?;)
I'm colourblind you see...

Hat roulette where I may have sent the ball sailing off the wheel. I’ll probably end up losing on this lot.

A wool Western with a fake leather sweat.

View attachment 486611

View attachment 486614

View attachment 486612

View attachment 486613

A late ‘20s or ‘30s (?) Dobbs derby with some issues.

View attachment 486616

View attachment 486615

View attachment 486617

Guessing it was from the Franklin store based on what was behind the sweat.

View attachment 486618

View attachment 486619
You win some, you lose some. It's the playing that is the fun part; you get to see and handle some really interesting hats.

Hat lottery usually does well by me, because of my common size. Not so much this time.

Cambiaghi woolfelt heather felt in an interesting design. Turns out to be a size 54 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Wonder about the age of this one. Old, but not that old. Forties maybe? To be fair to the seller, the size tag was somewhere behind the sweatband and I only paid €3 for it.

cambiaghi heather_1.jpg
cambiaghi heather_2.jpg
cambiaghi heather_3.jpg
cambiaghi heather_4.jpg
cambiaghi heather_5.jpg
cambiaghi heather_6.jpg
cambiaghi heather_7.jpg
cambiaghi heather_8.jpg
cambiaghi heather_9.jpg

Is it a win is it a lose? A bit of both really. This was sold to me as a size 60. It isn't. It's one of these "measure around the outside" sizes. :rolleyes:
But it does in fact fit me very well because it turned out to be a size 57. The sweatband leather has shrunk a bit on it, so it no longer fits a size 57, but it'll do for my size 56 very nicely, thank you!

Fléchet Select Velour in a size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11,5 at the center dent. Weighs 155 grams. While not as refined as some of the best Hückel hats it is still a very well made velour that's easy to shape and with a great hand. The liner is a mess, the ribbon has some wear and the sweatband will likely drink a gallon of mink oil in the end, but I like it. A very nice late twenties to mid thirties Fléchet. Got the velour to behave after some thorough brushing with a suede brush (that'll teach it).

flechet select velour_01.jpg
flechet select velour_02.jpg
flechet select velour_03.jpg
flechet select velour_04.jpg
flechet select velour_06.jpg
flechet select velour_07.jpg
flechet select velour_08.jpg
flechet select velour_09.jpg
flechet select velour_10.jpg
flechet select velour_11.jpg

It's a winner. Is it beige, grey or off-white?;)
I'm colourblind you see...

Depends on who's company I'm in. Sort of like my politics ... :rolleyes:

You win some, you lose some. It's the playing that is the fun part; you get to see and handle some really interesting hats.

Oh yes ... I won't stop playing, it's too much fun. Plus I still need the side-gig to try and recover financially from a felon of a former tenant (otherwise know as the "turnip").

RBH

Bartender
View attachment 486383
View attachment 486364

View attachment 486367 View attachment 486368 View attachment 486369 View attachment 486370 View attachment 486371
"Note: a fellow eBayer prompted me to reassess the color of the hat from white to off-white.”

The above is quoted from the seller’s listing and I really want to thank TFL Hat POlice/Troll(s) for pointing this out to the seller so they could pass it on to us colorblind bidders. For without this, I’m not sure I would have made an informed decision. Just kidding, in case anyone was wondering.

I’m kidding about everything except the Hat POlice/Trolls being members here part. That’s a real thing. It’s gone on for some time but hasn’t come up with a hat I’ve been interested in for awhile, at least that I know of and it didn’t affect the purchase of this one. It has affected at least one in the past due to changes in the listing.

It’s curious to me that folks develop such an interest (obsession) in hats that they troll eBay looking for opportunities to correct a sellers listing. What self adulation that must bring; correcting sellers on hat colors, eras and such. What a public service!

The problem with this is it even further diminishes the slim chance that an informed buyer might occasionally run across a bargain. Of course they would never provide such a service regarding a hat they were interested in buying. These are the same member(s) that brag about bargains and thrift store finds and then post those finds in this thread before sending it on to the bay. I wonder if they ever tell the thrift shop folks what they really had? I’m kidding again.

I tried for one of these till I finally stopped looking. I actually have more hats than I can wear.
But I love the looks of a white hat!!!!!

I tried for one of these till I finally stopped looking. I actually have more hats than I can wear.
But I love the looks of a white hat!!!!!
Thank you, Rusty. It was a surprise to me. I couldn't remember running across one so white that wasn't a cowboy hat. I like the white too. I wore it yesterday and found myself checking my hands every time before I took it off or put it on.

On a side note; can anyone share their knowledge of the white label? I've seen them a couple of times but know nothing about them.

Thank you, Rusty. It was a surprise to me. I couldn't remember running across one so white that wasn't a cowboy hat. I like the white too. I wore it yesterday and found myself checking my hands every time before I took it off or put it on.

On a side note; can anyone share their knowledge of the white label? I've seen them a couple of times but know nothing about them.

I think the jury's still out on that, though some have speculated it's a factory refurb.

Great hat. I'm a sucker for light colored hats.

Depends on who's company I'm in. Sort of like my politics ... :rolleyes:

Oh yes ... I won't stop playing, it's too much fun. Plus I still need the side-gig to try and recover financially from a felon of a former tenant (otherwise know as the "turnip").
That's a cool little hat!

Nice! I liked it better when it was a size 60.
Thanks, Bob. Mucking around with hats shouldn't start to resemble work, but what can you do?
I liked the velours better when it was a size 60 as well (I have plenty of them already in my own size), but measuring size is challenging for some people it seems.

think the jury's still out on that, though some have speculated it's a factory refurb.
I have heard the refurb speculation before. If it was, it was a heck of a job as there’s no evidence of it. There is some writing on the hat body I’ve not seen before that I recall. Perhaps a special order?

I do too. That’s why I enjoy your Gus hat so much.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Is it a win is it a lose? A bit of both really. This was sold to me as a size 60. It isn't. It's one of these "measure around the outside" sizes. :rolleyes:
But it does in fact fit me very well because it turned out to be a size 57. The sweatband leather has shrunk a bit on it, so it no longer fits a size 57, but it'll do for my size 56 very nicely, thank you!

Fléchet Select Velour in a size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11,5 at the center dent. Weighs 155 grams. While not as refined as some of the best Hückel hats it is still a very well made velour that's easy to shape and with a great hand. The liner is a mess, the ribbon has some wear and the sweatband will likely drink a gallon of mink oil in the end, but I like it. A very nice late twenties to mid thirties Fléchet. Got the velour to behave after some thorough brushing with a suede brush (that'll teach it).

View attachment 486805 View attachment 486806 View attachment 486807 View attachment 486808 View attachment 486809 View attachment 486810 View attachment 486811 View attachment 486812 View attachment 486813 View attachment 486814
All in all, I'd chalk it up as a win, Stefan :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot