Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thrift store score!!!

An old Steven's fedora. Less than stellar condition but the felt is rather good; comparable to the Beaver Brand hats I have handled. The brown/grey felt color is nice.

My cost - $2.50 US

20231111_172513.jpg 20231111_172737.jpg 20231111_172806.jpg 20231111_172855.jpg

Mighty44

One Too Many

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

The Shooman

Practically Family
I went to Truffaux this morning to get a monticristi l have been eyeing for ages. It is not as fine as my other monti, but it is a very nice woven hat with very even weaves and reasonably small weaves. It is a very stylish panama.

First for a basic photo, looks pretty ordinary here.
New monticristi.jpg

But if you see this link you will see how great it looks. What a little beauty, now you know why l have been eyeing it off for a while. It looks great on me.
https://www.truffaux.com/collection.../the-montechristi-fino?variant=40251451605158

The good thing about Oska (owner, also posts here) is that we both instinctively know what looks good and bad on us. We see eye to eye on everything, we just know when a hat really pops. This hat is such stylish sophistication.

Also bought two hat boxes. I will sacrifice a monticristi per hat box, no other hats will be allowed in them. It is bulky, but special sacrifices need to be made for special hats like these fine straws.
Olinda hat box.jpg

Just for the record, here is the style of my other Monti. A real old fashioned gents hat not commonly seen. Probably not a style most would like, but you've got to have certain features and wear it like a big daddy for it to work.

Here is my hat weaver ([Don] Rosendo wearing the exact same model he made for me. Unblocked, just all natural, and a heavy sulphur smell. His brim is very different to mine. It is a real funny old hat. Mine has a black hat band. Very old school.
Don Rosendo Delgado Garay - my Monticristi maker 1.jpg

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
Now for something really exciting. Check out this big daddy hat. Getting this very soon. See the link and watch the 45 second video. It shows all you need to know. This is the big daddy straw.

Such a big powerful hat.
https://www.truffaux.com/products/the-iconoclast?variant=40254454562982

the appetising video.

Oska also had me try on the King panama. Looks ordinary in the photo, but look amazing on the head. I am getting this soon also. See the photo ion the link and you'll see what l mean. It makes such a statement.
https://www.truffaux.com/products/the-king-panama?variant=40251327447206

The Shooman

Practically Family
Also bought this earlier today, have wanted one for years. With the coming summer it will come in very handy. Hoping the quality will be good and it will be made from real pith. It should be better made than the modern helmets shouldn't it?

A vintage 1948 Pith Helmet.
Pith helmet  - mine 1.jpg
Pith helmet  - mine 2.jpg
Pith helmet  - mine 3.jpg

I really need to read all the threads on pith helmets.

Bounty Hunter by Nate Funmaker:
View attachment 560618 View attachment 560619 View attachment 560620

More pics and details in the My Blue Heaven thread.

BONUS: This hat originally came without a ribbon so I added the horsehair band from a mixed lot purchase. Also included in the same lot:
View attachment 560629

Joe (@Blare) is farther along than I am at turning it into a wearable hat.
Amazing new blue western! And cool monti body.. that’s like the third one to show up in the past month or so counting Randy’s. Prior to that I hadn’t seen one in a long time.

Coincidentally…. I Just nicely rolled mine up today and put it back in its box to slumber for the time being.

IMG_20231114_125427042_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231114_125439566_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

georgie girl

One of the Regulars
1940s or early 1950s Royal Stetson DeLuxe Vita-Felt Mode Edge.

I've had this one for a while. I initially thought my wife could wear it, but it has been lost in the "hat pile" for too long. Someone can clean it up and add a ribbon of their choice and have a nice hat.

View attachment 558492

View attachment 558493

View attachment 558494

View attachment 558501

View attachment 558495

View attachment 558496

View attachment 558497

View attachment 558502

View attachment 558499

View attachment 558500
It's going to a good home, Bob

Forum statistics