Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
It should be held on by sharp pointy pins, carefully remove the band and hand wash it in woolite. You'll have to re-iron the pleats but the fold lines will probably still be visible.
I tried to fold the sweat to look for the pins on the inside but its stiff. I think it has been stored in the heat for a long time. It's not cracked but the leather is hard, I am assuming the pins would be at the pointed ends?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
I am thinking of trying leather cleaner/conditioner but after seeing some of the horror stories i'm kinda nervous...:eek:

Is it dry? Leather conditioner shouldn't hurt it unless it's already too far gone anyways. Looks like mildew on it.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Is it dry? Leather conditioner shouldn't hurt it unless it's already too far gone anyways. Looks like mildew on it.
No cracks at all but yes feels VERY dry. I touched the 7 1/8 tag and it crumbled. I don't think it has seen much wear just bad storage.

Applying leather cleaner/conditioner now, no mildew just fine well settled dust!

GWD

One Too Many
I'm sorry, I'm stupid, I just assumed you wanted to clean the hat band. The sweatband is another story. Yes try some Lexol leather conditioner.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
I'm sorry, I'm stupid, I just assumed you wanted to clean the hat band. The sweatband is another story. Yes try some Lexol leather conditioner.
I can't tell if the ribbon is dirty or just heat damaged. It appears to be very thin silk, in fact the dirtiness looks like the hat body showing through it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs Panama, 2 1/8" brim, Optimo block. Originally sold for $19.99, at the Stetson Outlet in St. Joseph, MO. I bought it for less than $15.00 (shipping included). It's not museum quality, but it's not disposable junk, either.

P1050179.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 3X Beaver

This is a Stetson 3X western with a wide 3 1/2" brim. I bashed this back out into an open crown and then went with a teardrop crease. I'm not one for the curled up cowboy brim (on me, that is), so I decided to go with the brim down all around -- outback style. The color is ivory, and is really beautiful. Given the way the pin attaches to the ribbon, it looks like this pin may have been original to the hat. I really like the look of the pin, so I think I'm going to keep it on this lid.

LeftProfile.jpg

Liner-11.jpg

Pin.jpg

LeftCenter.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
This is a Stetson 3X western with a wide 3 1/2" brim. I bashed this back out into an open crown and then went with a teardrop crease. I'm not one for the curled up cowboy brim (on me, that is), so I decided to go with the brim down all around -- outback style. The color is ivory, and is really beautiful. Given the way the pin attaches to the ribbon, it looks like this pin may have been original to the hat. I really like the look of the pin, so I think I'm going to keep it on this lid.

Cheers,
JtL
Great hat and I love that pin!!:eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
bolthead, You're going to love that Kevin McAndrew!

Jimmy the Lid, Fantastic look with that Stetson 3X. The pin is icing on the cake! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This new hat arrived at my door on Monday. I've been waiting to post some pictures of it until the coast is clear. Is it clear yet?

The hat is a Fed Deluxe IV in heritage fawn and my first open crown hat. I thought the color would be lighter than it is, but I like it anyway.

I would appreciate your comments on the way I styled the hat since this is my first attempt at it. the hat is quite a bit stiffer than I thought it would be.

IMG_0148-1.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Thanks,
Bob

By the way, thanks for all the effort to get the lounge back up and running. I missed my dose the last couple of days.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Looks great!! :eusa_clap Are they calling it heritage fawn instead of the old Tawny Fawn, or is there both now? It looks like the Tawny to me which is my favorite color for the Federation!

P.S. I guess the FED IV thread was a victim of the great Cinco De Mayo crash of 2008! lol I just made a new Loungism!lol :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
BobC, Great job. It really feels good to get something that nice. Feels even better to put something of yourself into it, doesn't it? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Shane

New in Town
First hat and first post

Hello everyone, it's a pleasure to meet you all. I just returned from a trip to Scotland recently, where I found many wool newsboys that caught my eye. I tried on everyone I found but could not locate one that fit well. Upon returning, I started scouring the internet trying to find a custom shop. That search led me to the lounge, which then led me to Graham at Optimo. I wasn't in his shop five minutes before I realized I really wanted a hat. A few weeks later, I was rewarded with this

OptimoGrey_1.jpg

OptimoGrey_2.jpg

OptimoGrey_4.jpg

I'm incredibly pleased with it.

Cheers,

Shane

BobC

IC, I believe that Ron at Hats Direct e-mailed me that the Fed Deluxe is available in Tawny Fawn and that he still has a good inventory left of that hat. The new Fed Deluxe IV is available in dark brown and heritage fawn for now but there will be a grey and, I think, a black Fed Deluxe IV eventually. I think the tawny may be a little lighter than the heritage fawn, but I could be wrong. It's hard to tell by looking at pictures on the internet.

JT, I was a little paranoid about bashing my new hat, and I wore it around the house for a day or two before I decided I had to take the plunge sooner or later.

Thanks to both of you for your encouragement.

Welcome to the lounge, Shane. Wear your new hat in good health.

Bob

pils

New in Town
Wow that's a great hat Bob! A bit darker than the pictures at hatsdirect but still very nice!

If you want to try some different bashes you could have a go at giving it a diamond crown.

/Niels

BobC

Niels,

I thought about trying a teardrop, but I was hesitant to tempt fate with my first open crown hat. I also thought I might ask the incredible Mr. Fawcett to make me a C crown hat before too much longer. July is bonus month at work, and I've always viewed bonus money as funny money. So some of the fun I have with it will most likely be a custom from Art. I've been working up to it, and now I have a pretty good idea of what I like. All that's left is to decide on a color and the rest of the trimmnings, and there is so much candy in the store!

Bob

Shane

New in Town
KY Gentleman said:
Welcome to the Lounge! Great hat pics by the way.....

Thank you very much. I could not be happier with my purchase. I ordered my first straw as well, which should be in by Memorial Day weekend.

I've got a feeling this is going to get expensive.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats