Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Garrett - Not happy with $51 for a hat like that!? You're as bad as me in the gettin'-used-to-great-deals-on-old-hats dept. I think you did pretty well there. :D

billyspew - Very nice looking black hat. There are wraparound silk(ish) ribbons in a variety of colors that can be purchased online. They have little barbs that set them in place once positioned. A light grey/silver one would look dashing on that lid. Might well be able to simply apply it over the existing ribbon so you don't disturb the original integrity, if that is even an issue for you. G'luck!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Garrett.......

Garrett - Not happy with $51 for a hat like that!? You're as bad as me in the gettin'-used-to-great-deals-on-old-hats dept. I think you did pretty well there. :D

Absolutely, and you're gonna love that Lid....wait until you feel it. :eusa_clap

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KY Gentleman said:
Bob- you can buy rolls of thin cork at office supply stores like Staples or Office Depot.

Thanks, KY Gent. I'll look for them. That sounds like it might be a great way to make a bit of a size adjustment.

Nice looking hat, billyspew. As per Gene, you might like the way a contrasting ribbon dresses that hat. And welcome to the lounge, by the way. You'll feel right at home here.

Garrrett, looks like you made a good buy to me.

lincoln1965

New in Town
New Hat

billyspew said:
Having been reading the forums for a while here, I've finally bought my first hat. I went down to Jermyn street in London and purchased their Burlington model in black. Pretty happy with it, rather difficult to photograph black but the pictures are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billyspew/3090671758/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billyspew/3090671212

Thinking about replacing the ribbon with a blue or silver one, but not sure how to go about that.

Billyspew,

Very Nice!

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
My collection

I guess all of my hats are new since they've all been purchased within the last six months. This one is a Bailey New Yorker. They call it the Sinatra.

120608Sinatra.jpg
[/IMG]

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Indiana Jones

And this one is an Indiana Jones. A good everyday hat.

120608Indy2.jpg
[/IMG]

By the way, I am not a professional photographer, so I apologize for the photo quality.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Hey Gilgamark, great hats. I really like the looks of that Bailey "Sinatra". What's the brim width, 2"? And how about the construction details? I've never owned a Bailey before and have long wondered about the quality of their hats.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Not expensive at all. I got it from thefedorastore.com for $48 before discount (10%). I'm still new to hats, so I'm not sure of the terminology. It's wool felt. Not crushable. Center cut. 2" brim. Fully lined. The sweatband is not leather. It's a softer material, but I'm unsure what it is.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Here's my new vintage Resistol 990 that I won on eBay, and just received this evening (I apologize for the lousy cell phone pictures. I also apologize for the quick, unskilled bash).

Hat1.jpg

Hat2.jpg

Great hat in great shape for it's age, but it could use a cleaning (smells like anything does that's been stored in a box in a closet/attic/basement - musty and dusty).

Where does one go to get a hat cleaned? Would Batsakes in Cincinnati do such a thing (Gus Miller's shop)?

Hat fits great, very soft and pliable fur felt. I've never shaped or bashed a hat before, and this one needs it. Seems to like the center crease, but it's pliable enough that I could do nearly anything with it. Thinking about a pork-pie, since it's got such a stingy brim.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
Nice Resistol, Hat Head !

What part of KY you from, Gentleman?

I'm born and raised in Northern KY, and cover the entire state as my sales territory. Spending three nights in Lexington this week, with side trips to Morehead, Danville, and Mt. Sterling.

Hap

New in Town
Stetson Moose River (silverbelly)

I just got this in the mail today - just an hour ago - so I haven't had a chance to take a picture of it on my noggin, but I will.

I returned an L.L. Bean gift (a coat) that just wasn't my style - they let me exchange it for the hat. I've heard some mixed reviews on here about this hat so I was hesitant to make the exchange, but I decided to go for it since it wasn't costing me anything.
It's a nice looking hat, fit and finish seem good it's comfortable and it will be the perfect camping, fishing, and hiking hat. We'll see how it holds up.

carter

I'll Lock Up
SUPER

HOLY SMOKES, Garrett! A Cavanagh and a leather hat box for $83.00! That's a GREAT BUY! Congratulations! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

4aa7_12.JPG

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
HOLY SMOKES, Garrett! A Cavanagh and a leather hat box for $83.00! That's a GREAT BUY! Congratulations! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Yeah, can you believe that? Less than the original price! Can't wait to hear the report on this one.

Brad

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Hap said:
I just got this in the mail today - just an hour ago - so I haven't had a chance to take a picture of it on my noggin, but I will.

I returned an L.L. Bean gift (a coat) that just wasn't my style - they let me exchange it for the hat. I've heard some mixed reviews on here about this hat so I was hesitant to make the exchange, but I decided to go for it since it wasn't costing me anything.
It's a nice looking hat, fit and finish seem good it's comfortable and it will be the perfect camping, fishing, and hiking hat. We'll see how it holds up.
I got one of these about a year or so ago. I haven't worn it out that much but I like it. Its very similar in size and shape to a Chatham except the felt quality is much rougher. I hope you like it, I think its a good outdoors hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes