Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
KeyGrip said:
IMG_1081.jpg

I want one of those! Is the silverbelly actually that light of a color that I see in your picture?

pj

citRon

A-List Customer
Bingles said:
Here's a camera phone shot of me sporting my new Gary White Custom porkpie, which I wore to class today, since Bolt asked to see it on my noggin!

me-hat.jpg

nice look! I've been on a definite 'piggy' admiration kick lately and recently bought a sort-of pie for myself from a fellow lounger.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
carter said:
186623562_tp.jpg

186624064_tp.jpg

Garrett, That is a beautiful long beaver felt fedora. It looks to be in very good to excellent condition. I have no information regarding Westend but someone here may. Good Buy!

I've been going through the many pages of this thread, some fantastic hats here! I have no idea about "Westend" (originally at page 81) but, it's very obviously a German hat: in the last picture, "F" stands for "Farbe" (color) and German is one of the few languages in which such sequence as "schw..." exists. Schwarz, of course. I suppose the nomer "Westend" refers to London...

I also have a distinct impression (maybe in error) that, in Germany, there have been more "long hair", "velvet" and such hats as in other countries.

One particular hat comes to my mind: A. Hitler's fedora seen in film footage at that Berchtesgaden cottage of his... I have always wondered what that hat was. It looks a lot like this one...

Paul

EDIT: HarpPlayerGene wrote
"Man, that's every bit the '30s and may well be earlier.

Thick nap style, unreeded sweatband, paper tag/typography style, light orange-ish/brown, wide leather, embossing rather than gold foil printing, adjustable inside bow. All indications of a hat that could be 1910s - 1930s to my eye"

Putting two and two together, I would say it probably is well prior to 1932-1933. After that date, it would -I believe- have become increasingly uncommercial to use "English" references in German hats - unless, unless ... for the US market? The hat is definitely German, though.

Paul

panama jack

One of the Regulars
New purchase, uncertain about the size though.

Well...yesterday I finally received my long awaited Stylemaster. I purchased a medium grey with a black ribbon in a size 60. I only have a few hats so I was a little uncertain on what size to buy.

Just a little history:
Prior to purchasing the Stylemaster I tried on a Borsalino in a 7 1/2 at a local hatter and it fit fine. The 7 3/8 was too tight. I won a Stetson Mallory on e-bay in a size 7 3/8 and it was just a little too loose.
I recently purchased an Optiom from one of our lounge members in a size 7 1/2 and this one came very close to fitting like the Borsalino but was just a little loose as well.
A little felt under the sweatband of each hat and they fit perfect.

The Stylemaster seems to be the largest of the three. It almost make me wish I purchased a 59. I had to go with more felt under the sweatband of this one too. I know that I have read somewhere in someones post that the hat will shrink in time.

My question is, do you think this hat will shrink down to a 59? If not this one might be up for sale soon. My other problem is it's slightly darker that I was hoping for but I thought the moonstone might be too light. If the hat does shrink to fit my head I can live with the color.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
pj

donCarlos

Practically Family
Once again I stormed my favourite second hand shop, this time I saw and bought this one: (it´s lighter than on the photo, I couldn´t take a good photograph in this light)

2009_01250003.jpg

Brand is unknown (traditionally German, but the only inscriptions inside are "Feiner Haarhut". It´s made of the stiffest felt I have ever seen, but it was in great shape, it needed only brushing and forming the front pinch of the brim. I don´t think it looks great on me, but it´s not so bad.

BrewCrew

New in Town
Akubra Fedora in Burnt Oak

Not sure if anyone has posted this color before, as close as I could come:
Outdoors:
IMG_0063.jpg
[/IMG]
And on my pointy head.
IMG_0076.jpg
[/IMG]

The hat is very very soft, not a very high brim, a bit too much taper IMO but I really love the color, very much a "burnt" dark brown.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
The Selcouth

In the middle of last October, I ordered another fedora from Mister Fawcett; after the few months wait entailed by the long list of orders that his reputation has earned him, we sorted the details out in early January and soon enough thereafter, it was finished and sent to me. As happened last time, the postman tried to deliver it when I was away, in the case in the morning of Saturday the nineteenth when I was five hours south at my parent's home in Pennsylvania, but after waiting through Sunday and Martin Luther King Day, I was able to contact the post office and the hat at last arrived last Wednesday. The timing proved rather fortuitous, as that was the day of my first class of this semester.

Once more, I am very happy with the hat. I am especially pleased that Mister Fawcett was able to do considerable justice to the odd ribbon treatment that I requested.

I have dubbed it, "the Selcouth." Selcouth is an obscure word meaning, 'strange, unfamiliar and marvelous'.

The hat is made from granite grey pure beaver felt with a 22 ligne charcoal grey ribbon, 12 ligne steel grey edge binding and a black liner. The proportions are those of the Wall Street, viz. a crown that is 5 3/4" open with a 2 5/8" brim. It is creased into a diamond crown with front pinches.

3222587581_485dbc1fe2_o.jpg

From the front, sitting upon its box

3223443474_829f6746fc_o.jpg

From the side, still sitting upon its box

3223443282_63e7aecd61_o.jpg

From the rear, yet again upon its box

3222586423_6e50bbe2b3_o.jpg

From the top, again upon its box, which is upon my reading table (the top has since acquired a subtle dome from the top of my head)

3223441984_81231d0e4b_o.jpg

From the bottom; guess where!

3222586799_001197dca7_o.jpg

This is a picture of me wearing it as seen from the front (no, I don't ordinarily wear a necktie with a cotton plaid shirt)

3223442454_0be2da6439_o.jpg

This is a picture of me wearing it as seen from the right side (it is slightly strange looking as I had set the camera atop a pile of some books and the hat box on my computer table that was too short to capture me standing upright, but that I didn't want to make more precarious, so I had to hunch forward)

3222587441_7c4c0ce1f4_o.jpg

This is a comparison of it, on the right, with the Sesquipedalian, on the left, from the front, sitting upon their respective boxes, which are set upon my bed.

3222587179_14997c3468_o.jpg

This is the same arrangement, but with the hats seen from their sides.

Since I received it, I altered the crease on the Sesquipedalian slightly to make the center crease deeper, to add a little rake and to make the side pinches more pronounced.

I have worn this hat very frequently since I received it, even when simply sitting indoor at my desk. I eventually mean to alternate between the Selcouth and Sesquipedalian, but for now the younger of the two will have preference. I imagine that I will order at least one more hat from Mister Fawcett, which will likely be a lightweight hat, but I will necessarily have to wait quite a while until I can afford such an indulgence again.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic new VS. The comparison picture with your black one really gives a good idea of it too. And the moustache is looking great as well.:eusa_clap Are you going to stick with it?

Vintage Canadian made 7 5/8 Open Road from ebay...

I got this off ebay a few weeks back & the new puppy chewed the cable for the digital camera. This hat was listed as silver belly but is more camel/tan than other SB's that I have. It was creased but no sign of wear at all except no wind trolley. The sweatband & inner liner are pristine & there are not marks or blemishes in the felt. I creased it to more of a teardrop as it had a unique 2 sided dent crease with a high back end...
PICT0040.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

RBH

Bartender
gtdean48 said:
I got this off ebay a few weeks back & the new puppy chewed the cable for the digital camera. This hat was listed as silver belly but is more camel/tan than other SB's that I have. It was creased but no sign of wear at all except no wind trolley. The sweatband & inner liner are pristine & there are not marks or blemishes in the felt. I creased it to more of a teardrop as it had a unique 2 sided dent crease with a high back end...
PICT0040.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

PICT0045.jpg
That is a nice one!!!
Well done!

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Two thirds of the way along

handlebar bart said:
And the moustache is looking great as well.:eusa_clap Are you going to stick with it?

Thank you. I very much intend to keep it; aside from trimming for neatness and eveness, I want to avoid cutting my whiskers as much as is possible. They are part of the very particular style that I hope to cultivate.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Delthayre said:
Thank you. I very much intend to keep it; aside from trimming for neatness and eveness, I want to avoid cutting my whiskers as much as is possible. They are part of the very particular style that I hope to cultivate.

Great, the handlebar styling is looking good. Don't know if you wax your stache or not ,but I use Firehouse moustache wax and am real happy with the results. The wacky tacky works great with a reddish moustache

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Beeswax and petroleum jelly and whiskers on kittens

handlebar bart said:
Great, the handlebar styling is looking good. Don't know if you wax your stache or not ,but I use Firehouse moustache wax and am real happy with the results. The wacky tacky works great with a reddish moustache

I have been using Firehouse's light wax, which was lightly applied to my moustache when I took the picture, but I might well try the wacky tacky when I exhaust my present supply.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Delthayre said:
I have dubbed it, "the Selcouth."

Delthayre, that is very nice! That granite color, accompanied with the ribbon treatment, is a beautiful combination. Its an "Art" for sure!

gtdean48, that is a really superb crease in the crown of that Stetson. I do not recall seeing a shape quite like that before as most teardrops seem rounder at the top. Excellent handwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy