Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, JT and Feltfan, for the feedback on the Barbisio Sorrento.

It's not so much that it's velvety; it's the felt band, and the tapered crown (along with, yes, that feather) that bothers me.

Because of it's density, it is a winter hat for sure, to be worn with the kind of coat you recommend. I just tossed it on while I was in 'chore clothes' to get a photo of it on my head.

Dinerman; I'm all eyes and ears for any ideas you've got. but I expect I'll eventually be offering this one in the Classifieds.

kiltie

Practically Family
Christys'...

...by Biltmore

Got this one in the mail yesterday. If it was ever worn, it was only a coupla times. When stored open crowned in the box, it shows absolutely NO signs of ever being creased. It has a Cavanaugh-type edge and came with a really obnoxious brush/hat pin/German hunting sorta thing.

Here we go - The box:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0833.jpg

The hat:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0835.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

The ornament:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0837.jpg

So, there ya go...

kiltie

Practically Family
Thanks, Bob and Scion.
For a grey hat, it is pretty "blueish". I don't think the previous owner ever applied the brush. there are no marks on the ribbon, and the pin runs vertically, so it wasn't placed behind the bow. I can say with a firm degree of certainty that I will never apply it. However, i'd like not to break up the set, as there's value beyond the monitary that this guy kept such a pristine hat and accessories. The previous owner was apparently a person of some stature in Canada ( mall or store owner of some kind - very wealthy ) and it was from his estate.
I do need to get some Brasso or something after the metal, though.

Tram

New in Town
J.T.Marcus said:
Tram, Nice! What does it look like on your head? :)

Thank you J.T. Here's a couple quick shots I took today in the snow.

I'd like to get a guess on the date of the hat. Its got a neat (IMHO) provenance to it. It was my boss' father who died in 1989. He was a local politician/sports figure from '30s-'60s.

Image124.jpg

Image126.jpg

citRon

A-List Customer
Dobbs West Double X -Open Road 'clone'?

Just got this one today. Its a Dobbs West, crown is ~5 1/2" open with a 2 3/4" bound brim. Tag under the sweat says it's their 'Waco' model. I got it as a contender for a conversion; reshape it, cut the brim to 2 3/8- 2 1/2" and put a 1 1/2" black ribbon on it.
I'll get picks up of its new 'Fedora-ized" shape in a bit- it was pretty easily manipulated out of the cattleman crease.
Is this considered an 'Open Road Clone'? It looks like examples I've seen of the OR here. If so, should I leave it as is?

IMG_0357.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0355-1.jpg
[/IMG]

kiltie

Practically Family
citRon said:
Just got this one today. Its a Dobbs West, crown is ~5 1/2" open with a 2 3/4" bound brim. Tag under the sweat says it's their 'Waco' model. I got it as a contender for a conversion; reshape it, cut the brim to 2 3/8- 2 1/2" and put a 1 1/2" black ribbon on it.
I'll get picks up of its new 'Fedora-ized" shape in a bit- it was pretty easily manipulated out of the cattleman crease.
Is this considered an 'Open Road Clone'? It looks like examples I've seen of the OR here. If so, should I leave it as is?

IMG_0357.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0355-1.jpg
[/IMG]

You know what might be kinda cool, and what I'm gonna try when the next "right" hat comes along, is put a diamond or "c" or whatever in the crown, curl the front down, but leave the sides and back as is. There was a guy in that movie Public Eye that wore his hat with a really pronounced curl to the sides of the brim. It's been the only one I've ever taken notice of that was so dramtic in that regard, and I'd like to give it a shot.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Cutting is for horses

RBH said:
Yep its an Open Road style hat, I would leave it as is.
Thats a nice bound edge, I think one with out the binding would be better to trim.
BUT its your hat.
What about a shot of you wearing it?
Citron, I agree with Rusty. I have a Dobbs West and it is relatively easy to convert to a fedora-style crease and brim ala an OR. That's a very nice 2 3/4" bound edge. It'll look great. So, try it. You'll like it. :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
TWO OR TWENTY-FIVES!

Michaelshane, That's outstanding. I'm looking forward to seeing those beauties on your noggin. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dixon

New in Town
My FedIV Deluxe

A shot of my new Fed IV Deluxe.
As an indy fan I'm geeked out over how good the hat looks on several levels. But as a fedora lover I'm so pleased with the felt quality, sweatband softness and over all vibe of the hat. I've got the feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Best,
D

imgp3350qd0.jpg

By dixonkinser, shot with PENTAX K100D Super at 2009-02-06
imgp3319xz6.jpg

By dixonkinser, shot with PENTAX K100D Super at 2009-02-06

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy