Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
twilson66 said:
Fawn Campdraft arrived today:

the wind trolley thingy is loose (too long?) I'll figure out how to adjust it or just get rid of it altogether.

Just take the button on the lapel cord and slide it gently toward the back of the hat. The cord will tighten up nicely. Congrats on the new lid.

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Hat City Hat Co. satin finish
It looked like dryer lint out of the box, but a little brushing, and it was ready to go.
DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0087-1.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105-1.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There is no indication as to which of the large Danbury companies made my hat, but take a look at my liner:
DSC_0099-1.jpg

and compare it to a hat Marc Chevalier previously posted.

hatsetc004.jpg

hatsetc002.jpg

hatsetc003.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
rlk: that's a treasure!

My Stetson homburg arrived today, I was pleased it fit aswell - though not sure it suits me yet.
It's a Vita-felt process one, looks unworn a few moth-holes one the rear underside of the brim, but looks like it's never even been creased. the leather of the sweat is very delicate however. Have read the threads on vita-felt and found this ad from '41 - it has the same liner as depicted.
vita-felt ad
Here's some pics... including an awful pic of me:
3427045927_fde9a4f41b_m.jpg
3427853760_e46f9be155_m.jpg

3427853140_35ae924f24_m.jpg
3427852486_9c8fa01c97_m.jpg

3427042595_143f01585a_m.jpg
3427068457_59ed9c9c34_m.jpg

People agree on the early 40's timescale?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
rlk said:
US made Stetson sold in Algeria. Gray Flannel with a touch of brown. Molds like a Cavanagh felt with no heat or moisture but is coarser in texture. No sign it ever had a liner.
Sweatband has tiny stitches and the "reed" seems to be bendable like a soft wire. Any speculation as to age?

I'm going to go '20s on that one.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty, that hat is wonderful! Such character and style.

What's that label hiding under the liner?

We know it's at least a post-1934 hat, for sure.

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Lefty, that hat is wonderful! Such character and style.
What's that label hiding under the liner?
We know it's at least a post-1934 hat, for sure.
Brad

Thanks Brad.
The label is just for the size and block. You can see that 7 3/8 is in the size space, but there's nothing in the block space. The only other marking on it is the visible "Printed in U.S.A." There's a really, really light stamp on the underside of the sweat, but I can't make anything of it, and it's so light that I can't get a decent photo of it.

If there's more information on Marc's Style-Rite, maybe I can find the company that made mine.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Today I added my first boater to the collection: a Stetson "Special", with self-conforming sweatband.

DSC_0404-1.jpg

Please refer to the "Boater Faction" thread for more photos and details.

Every hat I buy, I buy in my size, with the idea of wearing it. This one is no exception as far as size is concerned (and it fits - I took a risk, knowing that boaters can not be stretched). Now, the question is... will I summon the courage to wear it? :p

Summer is approaching...

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
3426524865_42199b4c79_o.jpg

US made Stetson sold in Algeria.

rlk, that is very interesting. I had no idea Stetson sold hats in Algeria. The felt on that is also interesting. The coarse look and mottled coloration begs for more explanation. Do you know anything more about it?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lefty, that is another interesting hat. The long hair really gives the felting swirl great visibility on the top of the crown. Very nice.

Billy, thats a great homburg. I'm sure you will like it more when you dress out and become accustomed to the style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff