Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buler

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
Really lovely! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

(Love that ribbon on the Mallory.) You need to list some 6 7/8!

Sue

Only 1 6 7/8 in the pile Sue. I need to clean a couple of spots on it and then I'll post some pics. I think you'll like it.

Scatch that. Just found another one. So its 2, Sue.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Fill it to the rim with BRIM!

How much brim can you handle BobC? Here is a Dobbs Twenty-Five with a whopping 3 1/8" brim. Maybe JTL needs it to pair with the green monster. ;)

Its a 7 1/4 with awesome felt. You could crease/uncrease this crown over and over. Its not going up this week, but maybe next. I'll put more detail and pics in the Dobbs thread.

To answer your question, yes I have some very nice 7 1/4's.

B

dobbs_twenty_five_1.jpg

dobbs_twenty_five_5.jpg

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
buler said:
Its a 7 1/4 with awesome felt. You could crease/uncrease this crown over and over. Its not going up this week, but maybe next. I'll put more detail and pics in the Dobbs thread.

Could you post a link to your eBay page? I myself am looking for 7-1/8s...maybe some biggish 7s. :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Chiliarches said:
Could you post a link to your eBay page? I myself am looking for 7-1/8s...maybe some biggish 7s. :)

I'll throw a thread in the classifieds for the auctions. Ebay id is MRSONY.

B

RobStC

A-List Customer
Chiliarches said:
Now, the hat looks pretty cool, particularly on Douglas. But I decided that it deserved better treatment than I could provide...so I dropped it off for a cleaning and a ribbon change by Dr. Thompson at Optimo.

I am much pleased. :)

Looks great, John. Nice shade of ribbon :). Is that the one you dropped off a week or so ago? If so, glad your Optimo trip had such a nice result for you.

Best,
RobStC

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
buler said:
How much brim can you handle BobC? Here is a Dobbs Twenty-Five with a whopping 3 1/8" brim. Maybe JTL needs it to pair with the green monster. ;)

B

That's a lot of brim. Definitely would be the widest in my stable, but it sure is a looker.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
buler said:
New York Store, Buffalo, Wyo Size 7. Hat is NOS w/$12.95 price tag and ribbon size tag. Its brown/olive w/olive ribbon and a cool rocket/satellite button.

new_york_store_1.jpg

new_york_store_4.jpg

*SIGH* If only it came in my size! That pin combined with the snappy hat would make it the perfect thing to wear to sci-fi conventions! I'll keep my eyes on your other offerings!

IsabellaPrice

New in Town
This is the newest addition to my collection of hats. It's a beaver skin top hat. I've owned a few top hats in the past, but this is the first beaver skin I've ever even seen in person.

I found this on eBay about a week ago. It was listed as 'early top hat' with a very vague description ('condition fair') and a single picture. So, I didn't really know what to expect. And I got more than I was expecting.

Picture

As you can see, the hat isn't in bad condition. It's not in good condition either. The first thing I noticed was the brim was a little loose from the crown, but still firmly attached.

Picture

Picture

Picture

Here you can see that there is a lot of wear on the brim. The band around the brim is shredded, and there are patches of fur missing.

Picture

Picture

The ribbon is still intact and in good condition. I didn't notice much fraying. It appears as if it was glued back on at some point

Picture

The underside of the brim is still in great condition. The brim itself isn't cracked, bent, or damaged in any way. The inside of the hat appears to be water damaged, but the rest of the hat shows no sign of this, so it may just be discoloration from age.

Picture

This is the hatmaker's logo. It was made by JOS.G Woodring of Easton, Pennsylvania. The only information I have been able to find regarding this hatter was a reserved ad space on a newspaper from Easton, PA dated October 5th, 1921, leading me to believe this hat was produced sometime between 1900-1925.

[link] This is the newspaper, a PDF file.

Picture

The leather band is in great condition.

Picture

Here you can see one of the spots where the fur is missing. A little leather dye should blend this in.

Picture

Another closeup picture of the wear.

Picture

There is a large patch of fur missing from the front of the crown.

Picture

A closeup of the frayed band.

Picture

Picture

Overall, it's a very nice hat with a fair amount of wear, but nothing I would call 'damage.' It won't take very much to get it looking nice again (not that it doesn't look nice now). Unfortunately, it's about an inch too small for my head. I can still wear it, but I'll have to get used to it feeling tight.

But what's even better than this lovely hat, was the even lovelier pricetag! I've been trying to get a beaver skin top hat for years, and the only thing holding me back was the $70-200 prices. I got this hat for a whopping....$9.

Animal approves.

jwalls

Vendor
topper

Isabella Price; $9 is an excellent buy, however your hat is a silk fabric over a velum box. I really don't know anyone who can repair this type of hat.

Johann Hückel´s Söhne Bowler

Johann Hückel´s Söhne Bowler (1930s maybe earlier)

Just got this rare Hückel Bowler back from Optimo. I had them put in a liner. Not sure if it had one originally. It has to be least the 1930s but a good possibility earlier. It fits like a 6 but label states 6 1/2.

3941593435_85034678fb_b.jpg

3941593517_4566f0e6f1_b.jpg

3942448604_8fb16c41ab_b.jpg

3942450504_66e91a8907_b.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
frussell said:
buler: I've been looking for a 7 and 3/4 Open Road, email me and let me know how much you're looking to get for it. Thanks, Frank

Frank, I can't PM you because you don't have enough messages posted. Check the classifieds section for the Buler's Auction thread. There is a link in there to the auction for this hat.

Link: bulersauctions

thanks
B

frussell

One Too Many
Bidding

Thanks buler, I'm new, just got my powers this afternoon. Longtime hat freak though. Tough to find old hats in such a big size, hope that auction doesn't get too high. I'm in it until the water gets too fast. Frank

CaptainB

Familiar Face
Isabella, although it isn't in the best condition I really think it's a great hat - you've got a piece of history there!

I have a rather similar hat which was my great grandfather's. It's nearly in like-new condition, but sadly it's too small for me :( I will put some pictures up as soon as I have the time to get them.

I don't think it's possible to stretch a tophat, and if so not very much?

Best regards,
CaptainB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou