Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
New Long Hair Fedora - my first!

Picked up this beauty from eBay. Wore it out today in the sub-20s weather. Loved it. Great look, great fit, perfect condition.

hat3.jpg

hat2-1.jpg

hat1-1.jpg

hat5.jpg

hat4.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Knox Twenty-Five Fuzzy

4314891702_dc278a4da2_b.jpg

Lots of issues,but a big vindication of the -1" measuring system. Seller had a 22" circ measurement. ellipse calc of 22-1/8, exterior 24". 7-1/4 factory label under the liner(5-3/4 crown) and its really a full size 7-1/4. Hemming fabric stuffed under the sweatband and a small overlap sewn at the taped seam. Butchered and glued edge it appears. Now 2-1/4" wide with a top overlap that looks glued like a sloppy homemade Cavanagh[huh] Sweatband says Custom Edge. I think they folded the Cavanagh Edge over, put a few single widely spaced stitches to hold it while the glue set.:eek: :eek: :( Do you think it can be undone?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
On more detailed observation it appears it was once a wide brim and they trimmed the Cavanagh Edge off and then folded and glued to simulate the appearance of the original edge--poorly. The same should be done with one of their body parts.:rage:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
On more detailed observation it appears it was once a wide brim and they trimmed the Cavanagh Edge off and then folded and glued to simulate the appearance of the original edge--poorly. The same should be done with one of their body parts.:rage:

I agree. That's awful. At least, in the past when this has happened, they usually left a raw edge, which at looks better than this thing.

Beautiful hat otherwise.

Brad

Tim in Ohio

Familiar Face
stealthboy said:
My new Dobbs Dayton in Steel color. I wanted a fedora with a brim in between stingy and wide, and I think it's perfect!

IMG_7228.JPG

That hat looks great on you. I live in Dayton... Love the hat... maybe there is a Dobbs Dayton in my future?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
I agree. That's awful. At least, in the past when this has happened, they usually left a raw edge, which at looks better than this thing.

Beautiful hat otherwise.

Brad
I'm hoping I can find a workable solvent then have Optimo do a professional trim leaving about 2-3/8" I suspect. Might result in making it worse by the process.[huh] Really terrific felt, must have been an outstanding hat beore the attack.

carldelo

One Too Many
rlk said:
I'm hoping I can find a workable solvent then have Optimo do a professional trim leaving about 2-3/8" I suspect. Might result in making it worse by the process.[huh] Really terrific felt, must have been an outstanding hat beore the attack.

Maybe you should consider asking for a ribbon binding on the brim once that unfortunate excrescence is removed - I'm not sure it would look OK on such a furry hat though....

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
ValEag said:
Very nice look jharrell! Any chance of getting a side shot? I've been looking at some of the wide brimmed Akubras for outside work this summer and have considered the Banjo.

One very nice hat. I'm going to try to talk my wife into letting me get one. lol

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
ScionPI2005 said:
I'm normally not too wild about long-fur hats, but I actually really like that one! Glad you're enjoying it HatHead!

Originally, I wasn't very fond of long-haired hats either, but they just seem "right" when the weather falls below freezing, and you're wearing a big overcoat, scarf, and gloves.

It's almost as if the added texture of the long hair gives the hat more "oomph" and helps it compete with the scale of the woolen coat and scarf, the gloves, etc. Balance might be the right word.

Warbaby

One Too Many
My first NEW hat - An Art Fawcett, no less...

About 30 years ago I found an unblocked vintage fur felt hat form. What I really liked about it was the feel - thick, silky soft and slightly furry. I'd always intended to see if it could be made into a hat, but somehow never got around to it. When I rediscovered it in a trunk I was unpacking, I sent it Art with a description of what I had in mind. I wanted a porkpie-type crown with a slightly wider brim, something unlike most other hats, something not really dateable and perhaps a bit flamboyant. I also asked him to try to retain as much of the feel of the felt as possible. Our resident hat master came up with exactly what I had in mind - even kept it kind of soft and floppy, and the pale lavender band puts it definitely in the realm of the eccentric. I know it's not a hat for everyone, but it suits my style and I love it.

ArtHat2.JPG

ArtHat4.JPG

ArtHat5.JPG

ArtHatB6.jpg

jharrell

New in Town
Warbaby said:
About 30 years ago I found an unblocked vintage fur felt hat form. What I really liked about it was the feel - thick, silky soft and slightly furry. I'd always intended to see if it could be made into a hat, but somehow never got around to it. When I rediscovered it in a trunk I was unpacking, I sent it Art with a description of what I had in mind. I wanted a porkpie-type crown with a slightly wider brim, something unlike most other hats, something not really dateable and perhaps a bit flamboyant. I also asked him to try to retain as much of the feel of the felt as possible. Our resident hat master came up with exactly what I had in mind - even kept it kind of soft and floppy, and the pale lavender band puts it definitely in the realm of the eccentric. I know it's not a hat for everyone, but it suits my style and I love it.

ArtHat2.JPG

ArtHat4.JPG

ArtHat5.JPG

ArtHatB6.jpg

I really like the looks of that hat!
I'm thinking my next hat is going to have to be from Art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo