Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Redwoodjedi said:
Don't Panic! I was able to save both the ribbon and bow and snug it up nicely. All is saved and looking perfect. I didn't have to replace any of it except a little black thread.

RJ:)

That is excellent sir. The ribbon and bow are very nice and original is always best. Great hat.

feltfan

Redwoodjedi said:
Don't Panic! I was able to save both the ribbon and bow and snug it up nicely. All is saved and looking perfect. I didn't have to replace any of it except a little black thread.

Okay, I won't panic!
If I were to panic, it would be because I am so clumsy at
sewing. I want nothing to do with creating bows and replacing
ribbons (let alone sweatbands).

Enjoy that fine hat.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
Okay, I won't panic!
If I were to panic, it would be because I am so clumsy at
sewing. I want nothing to do with creating bows and replacing
ribbons (let alone sweatbands).

Enjoy that fine hat.

I've become fairly adept with a needle in my middle years. It's the thread I seem to still have problems with...;)

ddcronk

New in Town
New Knox

greyfedora1.jpg

Nice vintage Knox from the 'bay. I have it at Optimo right now being cleaned and blocked, as well as having the brim trimmed to 2 1/4. I wanted a narrower ribbon for it, but unfortunately there is a ribbon line, so no go. Still a nice hat, though. I'm definitely going for a diamond bash.

Dan

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
ddcronk said:
greyfedora1.jpg

Nice vintage Knox from the 'bay. I have it at Optimo right now being cleaned and blocked, as well as having the brim trimmed to 2 1/4. I wanted a narrower ribbon for it, but unfortunately there is a ribbon line, so no go. Still a nice hat, though. I'm definitely going for a diamond bash.

Dan

Nice! We'll be twins! Mario will be sooo proud.:) Great lookin' lid by the way.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Great hat and crease. I've tried to do the diamond but can't make it as nice. Hey Mario, where's that tutorial some of us wanted? :D :eek:

feltfan

ddcronk said:

Dan
You're having the Cavanagh Edge cut off and a clean and block
done to an apparently clean hat with its vintage block still intact?
Either I misunderstand, or you should go all the way and dye it
brown so it's ready for an Indy crown. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Great hat and crease. I've tried to do the diamond but can't make it as nice. Hey Mario, where's that tutorial some of us wanted? :D :eek:

Right. Well, I remember that I ran into some problem along the way...what was that again? Hang on a minute...ah, yes! Now I know! I wanted Katja (my then-girlfriend) to take the photos for the tutorial but just a few days after I came up with that idea we decided to go our separate ways - and I don't have a new photographer yet (so to speak)... :rolleyes: ;)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
You're having the Cavanagh Edge cut off and a clean and block
done to an apparently clean hat with its vintage block still intact?
Either I misunderstand, or you should go all the way and dye it
brown so it's ready for an Indy crown. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The brim would be too narrow for that[huh]:rolleyes:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Right. Well, I remember that I ran into some problem along the way...what was that again? Hang on a minute...ah, yes! Now I know! I wanted Katja (my then-girlfriend) to take the photos for the tutorial but just a few days after I came up with that idea we decided to go our separate ways - and I don't have a new photographer yet (so to speak)... :rolleyes: ;)

I'm sure it won't take too long for a new photographer to help you. :eek: :D ;)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
ddcronk said:
greyfedora1.jpg

Dan

You did not ask for my opinion. I'm going to risk it and give it to you anyway.
If I were you, I wouldn't get rid of that cavanagh edge and that superb, "back-in-the-day" crease: It'd be a detrimental loss for the hat.[huh]

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Mario said:
Mamma mia! This is one gorgeous hat, RJ!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And I do love the crease you put in it! Lookin' sharp as a razor! :D

Thanks Mario! I've been studying your work for a while as you can see. I am happy to show my Diamond Crease skills with confidence thanks to you! You've been a wealth of information for me over the last few months as I, like I said before, share similar taste in hat proportions and shapes as you.

Thanks for leading by example, sir!

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Aureliano said:
You did not ask for my opinion. I'm going to risk it and give it to you anyway.
If I were you, I wouldn't get rid of that cavanagh edge and that superb, "back-in-the-day" crease: It'd be a detrimental loss for the hat.[huh]

I have to agree with you on the Cavanagh Edging loss. That would be a travesty. However, I favor the Diamond Bash over a Center Dent simply because it is more conducive to a dramatically raked silhouette which in my beholding eyes is hattery perfection.

To each their own I guess, but I would hate to see that cavanagh lost especially since they are rarer and rarer to come by.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
:(
Redwoodjedi said:
I have to agree with you on the Cavanagh Edging loss. That would be a travesty. However, I favor the Diamond Bash over a Center Dent simply because it is more conducive to a dramatically raked silhouette which in my beholding eyes is hattery perfection.

To each their own I guess, but I would hate to see that cavanagh lost especially since they are rarer and rarer to come by.

I see your point about the crease, and yes, a diamond bash is far more dramatic than the center crease. (I've been trying to replicate Mario's for a while now with little success :( ) In my opinion the center dent is more perdiod accurate for that hat. In the end it's all a matter of taste.

Maybe you could post a tutorial for the diamond crease!:p I just tried to do it but cannot get the back point right.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Aureliano said:
:(

I see your point about the crease, and yes, a diamond bash is far more dramatic than the center crease. (I've been trying to replicate Mario's for a while now with little success :( ) In my opinion the center dent is more perdiod accurate for that hat. In the end it's all a matter of taste.

Maybe you could post a tutorial for the diamond crease!:p I just tried to do it but cannot get the back point right.

I would love to do a tutorial on a Diamond Crease but...I do not have the proper video equipment to do so. Mario??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff