Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
???

ScottF said:
and the 'before' pics:

Stetson15Before.jpg
Why the re-bash[huh] ???

:whistling

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Salty O'Rourke said:
I always figured it was the Knox equivalent to the Royal Stetson. My two Premiers are wonderful - especially this one - but my Knox Twenty's felt is more substantial and has a better 'feel' to it. My Premiers' felt is very similar to the felt of my Whippets. That tan Premier is my current favorite hat, and my gray Premier Westlite is my go-to hat.
This one is definitely up in the quality range of the rare few:eusa_clap and will be a regular lid on me. It's actually a good thing considering that after the bid went higher than I had hoped, I paid the shipping and duty, I was well within a hundred of my next VS :eusa_doh:

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Scott Wood said:
This one is definitely up in the quality range of the rare few:eusa_clap and will be a regular lid on me. It's actually a good thing considering that after the bid went higher than I had hoped, I paid the shipping and duty, I was well within a hundred of my next VS :eusa_doh:

Duty on a 70 year old second-hand hat? Biltmore must have a good lobbyist! I hope it wasn't too tough on the pocketbook. That's a great looking Knox and it looks great on you. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Salty O'Rourke said:
Duty on a 70 year old second-hand hat? Biltmore must have a good lobbyist! I hope it wasn't too tough on the pocketbook. That's a great looking Knox and it looks great on you. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I am a little POed:rage: about the duty and will be making some noise on Monday, but, Federal Gov't? Kinda like peeing into the wind :eek:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Scott Wood said:
Was a 20 buck offering in, best I can figure[huh] , the 40s. Has seen little wear and, as far as I can find, nary a moth :)

Scott, that OPS tag tells us it's $10 and from 1950-53.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chinaski said:
Scott, you did an incredible job on that one - Unbelievable!! I think you may have a career as a hat flipper, buying beaters, renovating, and selling for premium $$.

Thanks - I love refurbishing these things. I have a nice stack of 'brand new' unbashed hats sitting in front of me - did six this week.

Despite the 'before' pics, this hat was basically in mint, crushed condition - almost no cleaning involved, but very difficult to straighten out the felt behind the ribbon, and the ribbon itself.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
ScottF said:
Thanks - I love refurbishing these things. I have a nice stack of 'brand new' unbashed hats sitting in front of me - did six this week.

Despite the 'before' pics, this hat was basically in mint, crushed condition - almost no cleaning involved, but very difficult to straighten out the felt behind the ribbon, and the ribbon itself.
I have lucked into a couple of mint but dirty/crushed hats lately and I love 'em as well :D
Also agree about straightening the ribbon, if it has a deep crease in it that can be a b***h to get out:eek: :rage:

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Scott Wood said:
Where do you get the date from?

The O.P.S. (Office of Price Stabilization) was an anti-inflation bureaucracy created to set price ceilings for various consumer goods during the Korean conflict - it came into existence in 1950 and was phased out in 1953.

scaber

New in Town
Panama Bob Montecristi Fino

Here is my new Panama Bob Montecristi Fino. I ordered it in mid November and received it the first week of February. I special ordered the hat with a bit smaller brim, 2.5 inches. The wait was difficult at the time but now is forgotten and worth it. I wear this hat every chance I get. Thank you Robert for an exceptional hat.

DSC06578.jpg

DSC06600.jpg

DSC06582.jpg

DSC06593.jpg

DSC06602.jpg

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
Sorry guys ... no gorgeous felt hat here ... just an inexpensive Dorfman Pacific that I picked up for rainy Spring days here in New York. It looks black but is actually "weathered" brown. The brim is only 2 3/4 inches, though it looks wider because of the Western styling.

dorf737.jpg

Scott Wood

Practically Family
ScottF said:

As I posted I received the Knox Fifth Avenue Special last week and the whole thing was... I believe the technical term used elsewhere in the lounge was... "catawumpas"entirely out of skew, offcenter and the crown much higher on one side than the other. I had put it onto a heated stretching block and reset it some and then yesterday morning I picked it up and every moment that I haven't had my hands busy with something else I have been massaging it around and into shape. lol
It must be love [huh]
lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy