Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potato Salad

in/y

One of the Regulars
Though not quite up to feud level, the German/not German debate continues at our place. The German type with solid, thin sliced potatoes, bacon, celery seed and a good vinegar tang (and little if any mayo) rules! My daughter agrees.

The wife hates the stuff. Her's must have lots of mayo & mushy potatoes. Yuk!

...and my son won't touch the stuff no matter what type it is.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
:D
My recipe is peel and cut potatoes and carrots into thin slices, boil with a pinch of salt, strain the water and add mayonnase. The potatoe does end up some tiimes like half mashed potatoes because I boiled it till too soft :D :p

The one I have had in bento boxes is often very, very mashed! Delicious though. I think it is partly because Japanese mayonnaise is a bit different too that it tastes so good.

I have had some really great versions of both American and German style Potato Salads. It's been quite a while since I had it but there are some German style P.S.'s that are served WARM and are really great. At the Albertson's Supermarket they have a Loaded style that has cheese and bacon in it and that is pretty good.

The single thing I hate is when the potatoes are under-cooked and raw-hard, yeeech!

benjamin.f

New in Town
Yes Potato Salad!!! I love it!!!
in south germany they make the sliced with vinegar,stock, onions a bit mustard salt pepper... as john said: WARM - formaly known as schwäbischer grommbiere salat (engl. Swebian potato salad)
.. in the north they often take mayonnaise and pickle, sometimes with beets and fish.

Great to read something about potato salad.. most people dont care about this excellent cheap food. at bad times like ww2 (or end of my money on last days of month:D) potatoes helped to survive!

b

benjamin.f

New in Town
The mustard I use is not made with vinegar as usual... mine is made with must (is that word right - grape juice during fermentation?) it's not the world but other mustard is other mustard.

and by the way; I think now its time to put pumkin in the salad (baked with thymine and ginger)... or something else???

Are there any sessional recipes you like ...maybe on christmass with santa-slices...

b

davidraphael

Practically Family
My mom used to make German potato salad, attempting to make something approximately as good as what my German grandmother used to make. The key things in German potato salad are bacon and a little bit of vinegar. I don't know what else is involved, but it's insanely delicious.

I have lived in Germany on and off for a while. Down in Bavaria we regularly eat potato salad made thus:

Potatoes boiled in the skin then peeled when cooked and cold.
They are then sliced and mixed with raw onions and maggikraut (lovage)
Then hot beef or soup stock is poured over the top.
Finally, balsamic vinegar is poured over it all and it's salt and peppered...

I've never seen bacon in German potato salad ever. However, it's a standard ingredient in bratkartoffel (fried potatoes).

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have lived in Germany on and off for a while. Down in Bavaria we regularly eat potato salad made thus:

Potatoes boiled in the skin then peeled when cooked and cold.
They are then sliced and mixed with raw onions and maggikraut (lovage)
Then hot beef or soup stock is poured over the top.
Finally, balsamic vinegar is poured over it all and it's salt and peppered...

I've never seen bacon in German potato salad ever. However, it's a standard ingredient in bratkartoffel (fried potatoes).

That sounds delicious David!

We made some this last week, from a Norwegian recipe we have. Spuds, chives, gherkins, sour cream, mayo, lemon juice and sugar. Always good with a chop or a steak. Damn good in sandwiches with ham and Jarlsberg too.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
I like to make my potato salad thus;

Boil baby new potatoes in their skins, drain, allow to cool and just coat (not so they are covered in tons of goop) with a mixture of half mayonnaise and half sour cream. Add as much or as little chopped chives and finely chopped spring onion (scallion) as you like and a little ground black pepper.

Lovely on a summer's day to accompany a green salad and maybe some poached chicken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW