Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada Spring/Summer 2012 'Refined Rockabilly'?

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
I was wondering what people think of Prada's Spring/Summer 2012 collection, what with its 1950s rockabilly hot rod inspired clothes, shoes, and handbags?

Prada-Spring-2012-Ad-Campaign-8.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Except for the silly shoes, that is really cool. I hope this style catches on, as it is really snazzy looking.

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
I guess there is no other group haute couture can steal style from. Time for the sub cultures!
True, Lady Day...it does seem a bit jarring that the iconography and style of rockabilly rebel hotrodders has been taken up by couturiers. It reflects the point the author of the book "Rebel Sell" was trying to make: "The same basic pattern manifests itself in any number of areas including art, film, haircuts, food, footwear, speech patterns, travel destinations, living locations, employment and a dozen other lifestyle choices. Something starts out as underground, alternative, or subversive, known only to other non-conforming rebels, then the alternative press starts to talk about it, soon the mainstream media starts to talk about it and the next thing you know everybody’s in on the action. And so the rebel has to move on and the cycle of obsolescence begins once again."

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
Oh, Baroness, you are too funny!

As far as the Prada line goes, "there is nothing you can to that can't be done, nothing you can sing that can't be sung"..... See? Its easier to copy than to be original.

Style is classic, timeless...it transcends the "trend" of the moment and says, " you know you want timeless elegance".
So now a designer tries to out their doing on it and make it new.
Ok. So its new.
But timeless??

Doubtful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21