Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-1934 Films...

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
The comedy team of Wheeler and Woolsey got slapped down hard too...

Hoorah, someone else who actually knows (and loves) Bert & Bob!! :D

"Mummy's Boys" was sadly boring compared to previous titles. My favorite is still "Peach O'Reno" ('31) after all these years. I don't see how anyone couldn't pick up on the tons of gay jokes included! Pure fun, indeed.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
That would be wonderful, more Clara movies! The last time "It" was shown was so many years ago. I just borrowed "Mantrap" from a friend today; I haven't seen it yet, so this will be fun. :)

By the way, I've seen the Sue Carol movie "Dancing Sweeties" like your icon & username!! That must make me very dorky. ;)

johnnydnh

Familiar Face
Over the last week, I rewatched "42nd Street" and "Footlight Parade" ...great movies! I particularly enjoy the "Honeymoon Hotel" number in "Footlight Parade" That number is the definition of pre-code. It is interesting to contrast the early Busby Berkeley films such as the aforementioned "42nd Street", "Footlight Parade" along with "Gold Diggers of 1933" to the post Hays Code "Dames" and "Gold Diggers of 1935". While those post code movies are still entertaining, they seem watered down, when compared to earlier films.

Other recommended pre-code films to watch if you get a chance are "China Seas" with Jean Harlow and Clark Gable, "Bed of Roses" with Constance Bennett, Joel McCrea and Pert Kelton, and "The Half-Naked Truth" with Lupe Velez.

LizzieMaine, "Just Imagine" could have been a great film if they had just stayed on Earth. I really enjoyed the scenes in the "metropolis" type city that was supposed to represent the 1980's.

artdecodame, that makes at least three of us very dorky!

mikepara

Practically Family
This is a great thread.

..I've missed out on so many films. I've never seen some of those films but now will go out of my way to aquire them. Where's my pen..

Bye the way! That opening picture is fantastic.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Love the musicals, but don't forget those early gangster films like Scarface and Public Enemy. They defined the genre and are still as powerful as ever. Sometimes I think the pre-Hays era was the real Golden era of Hollywood.

max the cat

Familiar Face
pre 1934

I count King of Jazz and Flying Down to Rio(?) (character playboy bandleader Roger Bond must be a play on Roger(Wolfe) Kahn
among my favorites some early Marx Bros- there is something unique about the 1st 5-6 years of talking pictures-maybe they stay fresh since the industry had to literally reinvent the idiom-maybe they are the closest link to the 1920s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925