Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I've had this one for awhile, but have not posted it here.

1930s Penn-Craft (Stetson Division)

01811.jpg

02111.jpg

02214.jpg

02411.jpg

02611.jpg

02712.jpg

02911.jpg

03015.jpg

Stetson Clear Nutria

nutriablonde3.jpg

nutriablonde4.jpg

nutriablonde5.jpg

nutriablonde6.jpg

Responded well to brushing, vacuuming and steaming to refresh the felt and remove soil. A significant number of moth munches are present but subdued in wearing by the long furry nap finish of the nutria felt.

nutriablonde7.jpg

Brim is 2 1/4" crown as creased stands 5".

nutriablonde8.jpg

nutriablonde9.jpg

Interior condition is very good.

nutriablonde10.jpg

nutriablonde11.jpg

nutriablonde12.jpg

Nice to get a good look at the Clear Nutria trademark.

nutriablonde13.jpg

LOT 6195, I think, but am not sure.

nutriablonde14.jpg

Unusual single B&W label behind the sweatband with duplicate number included. Block 729 1/2??

nutriablonde15.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Justin. The clear nutria felt was a high quality level of that time and has a quite wonderful character. Soft, of course, but also has the clay-like memory for creases that we prize in the high quality beaver felts.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

I'm glad you got that one, Alan! I threw a couple bids on that one because I loved the color of the felt. The early Nutria felt is just fantastic!!

Nice to get a good look at the Clear Nutria trademark.

nutriablonde13.jpg

Look at the detail of that liner printing!!! Its absolutely incredible! That's another reason why vintage hats are far superior to modern day hats, the details. The sweatband leathers, dyes, liner materials, printing details, etc.

Just Phenomenal!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Look at the detail of that liner printing!!! Its absolutely incredible! That's another reason why vintage hats are far superior to modern day hats, the details. The sweatband leathers, dyes, liner materials, printing details, etc.

Just Phenomenal!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

+1

Very interesting find Justin. I live quite close to the location of this store. If you Google search the address for Street View you will find that the store (and pretty much any retail business) is long gone from this section of Grant Street.

If the LOT number is in the 8XXX, it would coincide with the exposition medal hat that RLK posted and help to suggest that this might be from an earlier series of sweatband LOT numbers that perhaps reached 9999 and then began anew in the teens or early twenties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW