Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- WW2 Wool A-1 Spearhead Militaria

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
That's good to hear Jeff, the inaccuracies aren't glaring (I'm not sure whether the originals ever had 2-piece backs, but it looks in keeping).
The proportions look odd with the long/wide sleeves, but an easy fix.
Cheers
Ian

Dr H

Call Me a Cab

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Dr H.. you have a 44inch A1 right? would you be so kind to measure the sleeves from shoulder to cuff? and if it's not too much trouble, measure shoulder to shoulder as well?

Thanks a lot,
Diego

That's good to hear Jeff, the inaccuracies aren't glaring (I'm not sure whether the originals ever had 2-piece backs, but it looks in keeping).
The proportions look odd with the long/wide sleeves, but an easy fix.
Cheers
Ian

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Dr H.. you have a 44inch A1 right? would you be so kind to measure the sleeves from shoulder to cuff? and if it's not too much trouble, measure shoulder to shoulder as well?

Thanks a lot,
Diego

Certainly Diego, yes it is a 44.
I'm awaiting the arrival of the Spearhead, but will post images and dimensions as soon as I have it in hand.
I have capeskin A-1s from Good Wear and Eastman, but is it the woollen jacket that interests you?
Cheers
Ian

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Certainly Diego, yes it is a 44.
I'm awaiting the arrival of the Spearhead, but will post images and dimensions as soon as I have it in hand.
I have capeskin A-1s from Good Wear and Eastman, but is it the woollen jacket that interests you?
Cheers
Ian

Sorry for the confusion, yes it is the woollen spearhead jacket i'm interested in.

Thx,
Diego

Foster

One of the Regulars
I bought a few items from Spearhead a few years back, had some issues with the quality both in garment construction (one cuff sewn on backwards) and sizing (bought one size, wanted one smaller, bought the smaller size and the only difference to the first larger size was the label -they were identical apart from the size label!). I've not had any interest in doing business with them again. Your mileage may vary, but I am just trying to warn of a possible pothole in the road.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the heads up. I've had a good experience in terms of quality. I bought a used woollen A-1, but in a 42" (too snug) - the quality of materials and construction is good and my eldest son now has it.
Can't speak for fit of the 44" yet, but I think that the sleeves look relatively long and full (and are likely to need tailoring).
Cheers
Ian

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Jacket has just arrived. First impressions very favourable. A trim 44, but a good fit. Quality of construction looks fine. Images and dimensions to follow.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The basic dimensions (44) are:
Pit to pit 23"
Sleeves 25"
Shoulders 19"
Yoke 19.5"
Front length 22.5"
Back length 25"
Odd quirk (showing that the machinist hasn't handled an A-1) - the pencil pocket is stitched on the shell, but doesn't go through to lining, making it cosmetic. I'm going to remove the stitching anyway as it doesn't appear on originals.

IMG_0954_zps1d3d8105.jpg

IMG_0956_zpsdaafa0f9.jpg

IMG_0955_zps65282676.jpg

IMG_0957_zps52e7116a.jpg

IMG_0958_zpsc915b4f9.jpg

IMG_0959_zps85030e1e.jpg

IMG_0960_zps570bd265.jpg

IMG_0973_zps05d255cf.jpg

IMG_0974_zpsb4fcc9f0.jpg

A quick comparison with some other 1920s/1930s buttoned jackets.
IMG_0972_zps9b98105d.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Joel, unless your horse was wearing a sweater you can rest easy this A-1 is woollen ;-)
Quality of this product is also perfectly acceptable.

They also make horsehide jackets.

D

Deleted member 16736

I've encountered a whole range of Chinese goods that are indeed world class.... the place only has a poor reputation for quality because they are perfectly willing to produce the low quality rubbish that the Western market demands. [huh]

Those products were probably made in China for Western companies. I've yet to buy a Chinese-made product from a Chinese company that wasn't complete garbage.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Interestingly, I've just been in touch with the company to give feedback on the jacket and have been told that a civvy version with leather sleeves will be available in May.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ian, awesome jacket, and just in time for summer;)

From what I have been able to muster, these are Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) cold weather jackets...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info Bret, I wasn't aware of the CCC.
Fortunately still cold enough to wear it here (hovering near zero), but for how much longer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points