Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preferred t-shirt model/brand under jacket

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Get them from Rakuten and they're $50 for a pack of two. Best value for money t shirts out there (I don't buy outsourced clothing so anything outsourced doesn't count in my book).

My favorite t shirt is the Stevenson Overall Co. loopwheeled t shirt in natural/ecru. Expensive, but beautiful in every way.

How is the sizing?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Untucked!

I am an active t-shirt enthusiast. My favorite short-sleeve t-shirt brands are:

1. Real McCoys: Great quality, loopwheeled, great weight, great fit

2. Flat Head: Great quality (even better than RMC), loopwheeled, good weight (a tad heavier than I prefer), good fit

3. Pure Blue Japan: Great quality, not loopwheeled, great weight, great fit

4. Warehouse: Great quality, loopwheeled, great weight, great fit

5. Freewheelers: Great quality, not loopwheeled, great weight, so so fit

6. Norse Projects: Good quality, not loopwheeled, great weight, good fit

7. Roundabout Goods: Good quality, loopwheeled, good weight, good fit

8. RRL (they offer some remarkably poor quality t-shirts, but also some good quality): Good quality, not loopwheeled, great weight, good fit

9. Sunspel (many different types of t-shirts): Good quality, not loopwheeled, good weight, good fit

Dude mentioned Stevenson Overalls. Their t-shirt quality is stellar. However, I hate their wide sleeve cuffs/bands (I think wide sleeve bands/cuffs on short sleeve t-shirts look terrible).

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Get them from Rakuten and they're $50 for a pack of two. Best value for money t shirts out there (I don't buy outsourced clothing so anything outsourced doesn't count in my book).

My favorite t shirt is the Stevenson Overall Co. loopwheeled t shirt in natural/ecru. Expensive, but beautiful in every way.

Got a pair of the whitesville t-shirt, mixed color, 1 white, 1 Grey, off Rakuten for 41 euro. Looking forward to receiving them. I found the following discussion of these t-shirts and the various sizing, fit, and shrinkage issues most illuminating :

https://www.historypreservation.com...le-vintage-style-2-pack-tee-shirts-off-white/

Last edited:

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Untucked!

I am an active t-shirt enthusiast. My favorite short-sleeve t-shirt brands are:

1. Real McCoys: Great quality, loopwheeled, great weight, great fit

2. Flat Head: Great quality (even better than RMC), loopwheeled, good weight (a tad heavier than I prefer), good fit

3. Pure Blue Japan: Great quality, not loopwheeled, great weight, great fit

4. Warehouse: Great quality, loopwheeled, great weight, great fit

5. Freewheelers: Great quality, not loopwheeled, great weight, so so fit

6. Norse Projects: Good quality, not loopwheeled, great weight, good fit

7. Roundabout Goods: Good quality, loopwheeled, good weight, good fit

8. RRL (they offer some remarkably poor quality t-shirts, but also some good quality): Good quality, not loopwheeled, great weight, good fit

9. Sunspel (many different types of t-shirts): Good quality, not loopwheeled, good weight, good fit

Dude mentioned Stevenson Overalls. Their t-shirt quality is stellar. However, I hate their wide sleeve cuffs/bands (I think wide sleeve bands/cuffs on short sleeve t-shirts look terrible).
I'd be interested if you could elaborate a bit more on what particularly you look for in a t-shirt.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In terms of t-shirt brands, because mine are purely underwear I tend to stick to the supermarket offerings; here in the UK, that mostly means Sainsburys, though I've also owned a few that are M&S (nice, but as a rule not worth the upcharge). For anyone in the UK, Sainsburys does do a good range of basic plain t-shirts in a range of plain colours (including both white and black) for about £4 a pop which are very good - 100% fairly traded cotton.
Thanks for the heads up on Sainsbury's, my Missus buys my T-shirts at Matalan, for the same price. She gets them there because they are good quality cotton and they are V-neck, my T-shirts are all vests. Just to clarify, in Britspeak, a vest is an undergarment, the sleeveless outergarment others refer to as a vest, we call, waistcoat.
T-shirts I wear, tucked in, but that's because I like to wear the tropical shirts that my wife makes for me. Those shirts are expensive and the T-shirt protects them, and although the T-shirt is tucked in, the Aloha shirt isn't.
One indulgence though, my T-shirts cost £4 but that doubles to £8 because the cost of the dye and salt comes to £4. You've got to have matching coloured T-shirts to show off the Aloha, haven't you?
Shirt (woody) 004.JPG

Superfluous

I'd be interested if you could elaborate a bit more on what particularly you look for in a t-shirt.

1. Quality of construction, including the collar in particular, and the stitching to a lessor extent. IMHO, the construction, durability and detailing of the collar is what distinguishes a stellar t-shirt from lessor quality t-shirts. Loopwheeled construction is cool and a connection to the past, but I am hard-pressed to argue that loopwheeling makes a meaningful practical difference (unless the absence of side seams is particularly important to you).

2. Quality and weight of fabric. This is another area where great quality t-shirts are materially different. The fabric must be thick and robust. An interesting weave and/or slight texture can be desirable. Flat Head t-shirts are super robust, but thicker than I prefer for my climate.

3. Fabric color and dying. For example, Pure Blue Japan's indigo blue is stellar.

4. Fit is obviously critically important, including sleeve length (I prefer 8 inches) and shoulder width. I love FW t-shirts, but some of them have odd proportions that do not fit me well. In contrast, RMC, Warehouse and Pure Blue Japan t-shirts fit me perfectly.

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Lucky Brand are my favourite. Nice and thin/soft and the sleeves are just cut high enough to show a bit of bicep for those who like to do the odd set of curls.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
So you have a go to brand?
Gilden 180gms cotton. The cost about $7 each. I have about 20 all of them black.

I look for heavy cotton and a shortish length.

I would pay up to $15 for a better made T but generally I am tight and won't waste money on clothing.

dannyk

One Too Many
I’m one of the few who’ve said they don’t care. As far as most of my tees go I look for a shirt I like. Whether it’s weight, cut, logo, patch, etc... if I like it I like it. If I don’t, I don’t. No preference. I buy a bunch of like Hanes or fruit of the loom undershirts every couple of years and anything that goes over that is what it is. Now I pay attention to things like sweaters, jeans, boots, dress clothes. But most of my t-shirts and everyday just hanging around clothes...yeah those things are usually impulse buys cause I like it, or absolutely necessity buys like hmm all my tees are ripped I should buy new ones, my socks have holes let’s replace those, my sitting around on sundays watching soccer or football games eating chicken wings sweats need replacing haha.

Superfluous

It is fascinating how some people prioritize certain items of clothing, but could care less about other clothing, and will spend considerable sums on certain clothing items, but not others. Some here do not flinch at spending $1,000 or more on a leather jacket, but will not spend $40 on a t-shirt (even though a t-shirt gets worn much more often). Some will spend disproportionate amounts on hats, but not jeans. Others fancy shoes, but could care less about ties or dress shirts. Others prioritize watches, but are oblivious to sunglasses. I could continue ad nauseam.

It is undeniable that there are material differences in the quality of t-shirts. If one places a $10 t-shirt next to a $100 t-shirt, the difference in quality is striking. Its night and day.

Yet, many -- likely most -- could care less about high quality t-shirts. I am plainly in the small minority here that cares. For those who are indifferent to all clothing, I get it. If you don't care about clothing in general, the quality of one's t-shirt is particularly irrelevant. On the other hand, if you care enough about your clothing to patronize a clothing related discussion forum, why not care more about the other components of your wardrobe? I am not suggesting that one should care equally about all aspects of their wardrobe. Certain clothing items invariably take on greater importance. That said, IMHO, t-shirts are a reasonably important clothing article.

Excluding work dress, I wear t-shirts more than any other article of clothing. I wear t-shirts with both jeans and shorts -- during the day and at night -- in both the summer and the winter -- inside the house and out. T-shirts are an anchor of my wardrobe, as important as anything else I wear. Therefore, I carefully select my t-shirts and I pay for quality.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that my personal emphasis on t-shirts is correct, nor that anyone who disregards t-shirts is incorrect. As with most of what we discuss here, there are merely personal preferences. That said, I am admittedly a bit surprised that so few here share my interest in high quality t-shirts.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
How is the sizing?

They fit a little undersized. I buy mine from Self Edge and Corlection and both have full and accurate size charts.

The other thing is that the henley and crew neck versions fit slightly differently. I wear a medium in the crew neck and a large in the henley.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It is fascinating how some people prioritize certain items of clothing, but could care less about other clothing, and will spend considerable sums on certain clothing items, but not others. Some here do not flinch at spending $1,000 or more on a leather jacket, but will not spend $40 on a t-shirt (even though a t-shirt gets worn much more often). Some will spend disproportionate amounts on hats, but not jeans. Others fancy shoes, but could care less about ties or dress shirts. Others prioritize watches, but are oblivious to sunglasses. I could continue ad nauseam.

It is undeniable that there are material differences in the quality of t-shirts. If one places a $10 t-shirt next to a $100 t-shirt, the difference in quality is striking. Its night and day.

Yet, many -- likely most -- could care less about high quality t-shirts. I am plainly in the small minority here that cares. For those who are indifferent to all clothing, I get it. If you don't care about clothing in general, the quality of one's t-shirt is particularly irrelevant. On the other hand, if you care enough about your clothing to patronize a clothing related discussion forum, why not care more about the other components of your wardrobe? I am not suggesting that one should care equally about all aspects of their wardrobe. Certain clothing items invariably take on greater importance. That said, IMHO, t-shirts are a reasonably important clothing article.

Excluding work dress, I wear t-shirts more than any other article of clothing. I wear t-shirts with both jeans and shorts -- during the day and at night -- in both the summer and the winter -- inside the house and out. T-shirts are an anchor of my wardrobe, as important as anything else I wear. Therefore, I carefully select my t-shirts and I pay for quality.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that my personal emphasis on t-shirts is correct, nor that anyone who disregards t-shirts is incorrect. As with most of what we discuss here, there are merely personal preferences. That said, I am admittedly a bit surprised that so few here share my interest in high quality t-shirts.
I am always so surprised to see this as well. Again, not saying it's wrong, but it is certainly confusing to me. Personally, I want all of my clothing to be high quality. To me, I love to always be wearing clothing that is made ethically, made well, with a good fit, material, etc. As you mentioned, my t shirts overall get worn more than most other items I own so why would I not get high quality ones?

Willybob

A-List Customer
I only wear long sleeve shirts with leather jackets so if its going to be a "T-shirt" I go with Dickies brand heavy pocket Tees on Amazon for $11 to $16 US each.

I never really thought about it, but yeah- Most of my T shirts are cheapos. I tend to buy plain ones 3 for $10. If they have a design or something I like, I might go $20-$25.
Out of the members here, I believe @Thuggee has the best T-shirt collection.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Ir is interesting. I guess I have a general preferences not to spend more than $100 on any single item where I can and under $20 preferably. The weird thing is the more prosperous I have become the less I am willing to spend. Age probably counts too.

I have been given a few $100 T-shirts over tbe years but I didn't find them much better than a carefully selected $10 version. Certainly not 10 times better. I have a few $10 Ts that have served well for 15 years.

I have found often that carefully chosen cheap items can be very good quality. My favourite black shirts are a decade old and cost $15 and still look good after dozens of washings.

I will have a look at some more premium T-shirts and see if they work for me.

I rarely just wear a T shirt and jeans unless I'm working around the yard, lounging around the house or on the MC . I don't work anywhere ( retired early 19 yrs ago ), just do artwork in my studio. The T shirts that I do have, which are many, are white and colored ones that fit slim and also neat around the neckline. Many of my HD T shirts are Beefy Ts and similar which are of good enough quality for me. I mainly wear short sleeve shirts in the summer, long sleeves in winter. I also have a certain style and brand of jeans that I like but haven't got caught up in raw denim with unwashed spiderweb creases,etc, if that's the right lingo. I have a closet full of cowboy boots. Fryes, Lucchese, Justin, etc. Bought my first pair in Texas in 1971 and only wore boots for years until about ten or so years ago when everyone in my family were stunned that I bought a pair of sneakers..then another pair...then, well you get it. The only socks that I will wear ( except for dress socks ) are 'Gold Toe' cushioned crews. I wear mainly custom leather jackets that fit to my measurements, have styles, and hides like I like em...and sometimes a well fitting Vanson. I drive a large comfortable leather lined car that gets me around where I used to drive only sleek sportscars. The girls think Stetson cologne smells good on me so that's what I wear. Otherwize...we all do it our way. Some are obsessed with every little item and others mainly just a few.
But I will not wear an untucked shirt or T shirt hanging out below a short jacket. To me..it ruins the look of the jacket and the shirt. With a longer coat..maybe if it can't be seen.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points