Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth protection for Hats

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Remember how fun it was to watch these as a kid? Having one inside would be strange, dangerous, and awesome. :D
bug_zapper1.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Remember how fun it was to watch these as a kid? Having one inside would be strange, dangerous, and awesome. :D
bug_zapper1.jpg

I could dig a loud clicking sound, followed by a tiny moth squeal.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I appreciate the PM suggestion I received - I'm really curious if anyone else has declared total war on the creatures, or if you are all really limited to just dropping moth packets and scented cottonballs in your hatboxes?

Fumigation stories go here

||
||
||
\/

Hambone87

New in Town
Good day from Phoenix. I am wondering how vital it is to store my Fur Felt Fedora for the summer in a cedar box of if I can use the cardboard box and place cedar chips into it. Is it vital to have inserts in the box.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
cedar box, cardboard box, on a shelf, hanging on the wall ... all are fine my man

if you leave them out in the open and the area is humid just be sure to brush the hats occasionally to keep debris and dust from caking in the nap

dust covers are also an option

... and welcome home

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The plastic covers, the clear thin plastic wrap, are a good idea, especially for dark-colored lids.

As for boxes, if you have a hat store near you, you could ask them for one or two of their shipping boxes. I got several from Meyer the Hatter some years ago. These are cardboard, about 3-4 feet tall, and with the interior rings/separators. You can stack 5-6 hats in one tall box. Otherwise the shop would just have to throw them away; they'd probably be glad to be rid of 'em.

Welcome to the Fray. Much to my wife's dismay, I have a number of hats on open display in a bedroom (junk room). I have a book shelf full of history books. I hang hats on 12" lengths of small moulding wood and clean paint stirring sticks. I slip them under the books and they are quite stable to hang hats on. I agree about the dust factor.

plinthley

New in Town
Hi,
Bought this gently used Hartmeyer Saddlery bowler hat. It looks very well made, and under the strip of foam it says "genuine fur felt XXXXX."

How best to protect if from moths? Can you recommend a mothproof hatbox?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members