Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pricing clothing for sale- help needed please.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi

I was hoping somone might be able to suggest some guide prices for some vintage peices that i will be selling on ebay- I inherited the peices from a friend and I'd like to get as much as i can for them to go towards the cost of her funeral. I have'nt got photos just yet as i have packed them away until i can get sorted to sell them. I could take them to my local vintage shop but the woman who runs it is really unpleasant and my partner would rather give them away than let her make money off them (she's a horrid lady) This is what i've got:

-2 1920's cotton slip dreses/ petiicoats or day dresses- not sure. One had a lovely lace trimmed shoulder 'petals' and the other had a lace decal on the chest. They are both quite yellowed with age.

-A very fine cotton or chiffon and lace 1920's half slip/ skirt which is also yellowed.

- A 1920's two piece outfit. The 'underdress' is cream chiffon with long sleeves and lace half-sleeves. The mathcing overdress is sleeveless with a dropped waist and cream cord appliqued in a dense squigly pattern on the to half. It also comes with a matching 'pearl' encrusted frame purse with a mirror in a pocket inside. Thsi needs some restoration especially the underdress around the neckline- it's badly frayed.

-A black victorian top/jacket with lots of thick lace and embriodery. This needs restoration, especially on the lining.

I'd keep them myself but I can't wear yellow and Victorian is not really my period of choice, I'd rather they go to somone who can retsore them properly and cherish them- and I can make a contribution towards the funeral cost.

Thanks in advance for any help- starting prices and guide prices in UK pounds would be really helpful- but i'm sure I can convert US dollars if that is what you are more used to.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
My best suggestion is to search completed items on ebay to see what similar items have sold for in the recent past. It's very hard to say, because the market is all over the place - the economy is down, so a lot of people aren't spending money, but some pieces will still sell for a lot of money, and others will sell for a lot less than what they're worth. You could always just start the bidding at a medium-level price and let the market determine what they're worth.

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
I always start my auctions at 99p - if they're nice items and photographed well people will bid and you don't get stung for loads of fees. ;) I have had some things sell for only 99p but they were cheap items (that I got free) so I wasn't bothered. If you start the bids higher you pay an insertion fee whereas I think you get 50 free listings a month with no insertion fee, of course you still have to pay the final value fee.

Be sure to post your links on here too! lol

Foofoogal

Banned
IMHO ebay pricing means very, very little but it is a start. A lot of factors as it is an auction. Depends on if 3 people are searching or 300000 for your item that day. I had 2 ebay shops.

I would suggest going to Google products and doing a search for your specific item. There are though many other variables. Don't be in a hurry if you think it is a nice piece if you can. Getting harder to find good vintage everything IMHO again.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tips Gals. I have the stuff in the loft at the moment so it's not in my way- so I'm in no hurry to sell it -my main concern is getting enough money for my departed freinds family.

I have sold lots of stuff on ebay before but most of it was Goth clothing and I've never sold anything genuinly vintage. I did buy a 50's dress on ebay and I paid £80.00 for that.

I also took a tonne of her other clothes which are all Romantic victorian and gypsy inspired in browns and creams which I think should sell as 'Steampunk'.

I'll try watching some similar item s and see what they go for, if I can fins anything similar and I'll be sure to post the link.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Tishkaminx said:
Hi

I was hoping somone might be able to suggest some guide prices for some vintage peices that i will be selling on ebay- I inherited the peices from a friend and I'd like to get as much as i can for them to go towards the cost of her funeral. I have'nt got photos just yet as i have packed them away until i can get sorted to sell them. I could take them to my local vintage shop but the woman who runs it is really unpleasant and my partner would rather give them away than let her make money off them (she's a horrid lady) This is what i've got:

-2 1920's cotton slip dreses/ petiicoats or day dresses- not sure. One had a lovely lace trimmed shoulder 'petals' and the other had a lace decal on the chest. They are both quite yellowed with age.

-A very fine cotton or chiffon and lace 1920's half slip/ skirt which is also yellowed.

- A 1920's two piece outfit. The 'underdress' is cream chiffon with long sleeves and lace half-sleeves. The mathcing overdress is sleeveless with a dropped waist and cream cord appliqued in a dense squigly pattern on the to half. It also comes with a matching 'pearl' encrusted frame purse with a mirror in a pocket inside. Thsi needs some restoration especially the underdress around the neckline- it's badly frayed.

-A black victorian top/jacket with lots of thick lace and embriodery. This needs restoration, especially on the lining.

I'd keep them myself but I can't wear yellow and Victorian is not really my period of choice, I'd rather they go to somone who can retsore them properly and cherish them- and I can make a contribution towards the funeral cost.

Thanks in advance for any help- starting prices and guide prices in UK pounds would be really helpful- but i'm sure I can convert US dollars if that is what you are more used to.

I have nothing to contribute to this discussion but I wanted to say that I am sorry for your loss and I hope you make enough to help in anyway that you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass