Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince Charles' Style: Like or Dis-Like?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Richard Warren said:
I do not think you really understand the "workload" of a leader who actually has to make meaningful decisions.

As to Charles, what you describe as "official engagements'' and fund raising sounds to me a lot like what I would call "running around and looking pretty," except he just doesn't manage the "looking pretty" part very well.

And I don't think you really understand how much of the workload of a leader-who-makes-meaningful-decisions involves running around and looking pretty. It's certainly a big part of the POTUS's schedule.

More to the point, HRH is performing part of the duties of the Queen, the head of state, on her behalf. Those duties are performed for the US by the President, who is the head of state as well as the head of government. And much of the function of a head of state is, as you put it, "running around and looking pretty." Or, to put it more charitably, representing the nation and and inspiring, encouraging and listening to its citizenry.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Don't really know or care to know much about the man or what he does. What little I do know reflects rather poorly on him, though.

As to how he dresses, the real problem is that his impeccable, well-fitted clothes unfortunately only serve to emphasize the homeliness of his features. This is the equivalent on a very high sartorial level of the muffin-top.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
On second thought, I don't care what the man wears either, and hereby quit the field, apologizing for having had the poor taste of publicly commenting on the appearance of a fellow man in a derogatory way.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Evan Everhart said:
Prince Charles' Style: Like or Dis-Like?

Richard Warren said:
homeliness of his features.

Richard Warren said:
I would call "running around and looking pretty," except he just doesn't manage the "looking pretty" part very well.
Richard Warren said:
Don't really know.....What little I do know reflects rather poorly on him, though.

Richard Warren said:
apologizing for having had the poor taste of publicly commenting on the appearance of a fellow man in a derogatory way.
:rolleyes:

cptjeff

Practically Family
While looking again for the picture of his old shoes ( the ones that caused a buzz in the fashion world lately), I found a blog that had this photo taken on the same day:

article-1132816-033F9D33000005DC-540_468x424.jpg

That's more what I was driving at earlier. Completely appropriate, but not boring. Camel and DB overcoat... Heaven knows you don't see many of those on most public officials.

Also, the suit fabric is visible in the photo of the shoe (very cool look in itself):

article-1132816-033F9CFA000005DC-244_468x286.jpg

It's not a standard dark blue, charcoal or black. It's an honest to god texture, and in a nice lighter gray.

That getup I like. Very very much.

Erik

One of the Regulars
My take on things:

What everyone would prefer or not, he is no doubt, along with the others of note in this thread, stylish.

That I could one day hope to look so disappointing. [huh]

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I don't know why people are dissing Charles who lets Savile Row work for him.
He gets special attention from the best tailor houses with a few centuries of professional record each and consequently his bespoke suits fit his physique perfectly.
He clearly has the access to selected fabrics etc. How should one be better dressed than this? He is also lucky in terms of height (177-180 cm) and good proportions.

If someone seeks Brits with adventurous appearance lets consult Mr Tom Leppard or the punk scene of London. They are definitely not to be found in Buckingham.

Marzotto is a good example of master tailoring using refinedly cut bespoke double breasted suits enlarging a small man who does intense workout to compensate his dropped shoulders finally achieving a good look.

I think both gentlemen are examples of how a man can make the maximum from his appearance with the help of really good tailors and sports.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
All the money, privilege, fabric, and Savile Row know-how in the world do not impart either good taste or humility (which might be the missing element in Charles's style).

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Humility, humility... previously Charles was criticised for being too boring and sober now he is not and he should be more humble?

I think Charles is a good reference point -set by the best Savile Row players- from where one can make a good start.
Neutral colours of the suits are the ideal frame for the effect achieved by the colours and patterns of the shirt, tie and pocket square. There you can really go and experiment - the results depend on the own aesthetic sense for colours and patterns.

One can let the ideas trickle down and filter them to the own wardrobe, naturally amended according to the personal taste and budget. I will never copy his Ascot attire or his state dress since I move in other strata of society but I had a similar DB cashmere coat made - months before I saw this camelhair coat photo. It gets the mileage and has the same elegance. Ditto for his polished shoes.

Style idols like Charles or Marzotto are perfect as think starters in order to build the own wardrobe (which will be definitely smaller than theirs) in a meaningful way. You can still look elegant even as a commoner with just a few carefully chosen bespoke items without the income of a royal or a fashion tzar.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Richard Warren said:
All the money, privilege, fabric, and Savile Row know-how in the world do not impart either good taste or humility (which might be the missing element in Charles's style).

Richard Warren said:
apologizing for having had the poor taste of publicly commenting on the appearance of a fellow man in a derogatory way.

So instead of his appearance, you're now commenting on the personality of a fellow man in a derogatory way?

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Lokar, you are precisely correct. I am commenting on the man's character, while admitting that what I think of it comes solely from press accounts to which I have not paid much attention and from my own impressions of his demeanor (largely if not entirely from pictures in this tread). That is to say, I admit to drawing conclusions of his character from his appearance, and the impression I get is one of vanity. One might also infer that one in his position very rarely receives frank and honest assessment of his attributes from those around him, and my own experience is that vanity follows wealth and/or power.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
All things considered I think that the PoW has behaved rather well in public with the exception of his White House visit where he put his hand where it didn't belong. He's a randy one that Charles.

031105perspective.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails