Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince Philip's pants

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"The Duke of Edinburgh is keeping up with fashion by having trousers he had made 51 years ago altered to a modern cut."

Story here.

article-1050884-0278033A00000578-723_468x653.jpg

The Prince sure does like brass buttons.

Feraud

Bartender

Edward

Bartender
Tomasso... in future before you start a thread with such a title, do bear in mind those of us who speak UK English. I don't imagine even the most ardent of royalists wishses to have the image I ended up with in my mind upon reading your thread title. :eek:

Seems a shame to see such a fine pair of vintage trousers being modernised, though I'm sure to him they're just an old pair of trousers he's had for years, nothing special. I wodner that he doesn't simply pick up a new pair (not as if he's short of a bob or two) - maybe Liz, who is notoriously thrifty, has tightened the purse strings on him! lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if they were just taken in, or if material was actually cut off. That would make it a one way trip. He looks pretty sharp in that old photo.
We have to keep in mind that before Lord Mountbatten brought his nephew to England, the young man was an EXTREMELY impoverished royal person, of the Greek royal house, as I recall. We talk about working class people being children of the depression. I guess it can apply to aristocrats, too.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I wonder if they were just taken in, or if material was actually cut off. That would make it a one way trip. He looks pretty sharp in that old photo.
We have to keep in mind that before Lord Mountbatten brought his nephew to England, the young man was an EXTREMELY impoverished royal person, of the Greek royal house, as I recall. We talk about working class people being children of the depression. I guess it can apply to aristocrats, too.

Do you think at 87 years old he's concerned about a round trip?
;)
Three cheers to the man who can still fit into is trousers 51 years later!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:

I don't know the details, but c'mon. An impovrished royal means they have to let all but essential staff go, or worst case scenario, work.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Irony abounds: the 1951 trou would be perfectly stylish today, but probably not amongst the elderly aristocracy.

But one must move with the times, mustn't one? :eusa_doh:

a further irony. the cost of redoing these pants may well be more than your or my yearly budget. But maybe a little less than a new pair.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Good luck to the man - why on earth should he not do so?

This is an old piece of news from a month ago anyway.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not sure which I am enjoying more, the wonderful picture of Prince Philip on the top left, or the way this conversation is going.

Thank you for keeping me amused. lol

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
Irony abounds: the 1951 trou would be perfectly stylish today,

If I could find them on the high street, I'd be very pleased! Seems the waists are all too low for me, though. Bah.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
"The Duke of Edinburgh is keeping up with fashion by having trousers he had made 51 years ago altered to a modern cut."

Story here.

article-1050884-0278033A00000578-723_468x653.jpg

The Prince sure does like brass buttons.

Doesn't that blazer look too big? There is no cuff exposed, and if there were they would be down to his knuckles.

SteveN

H.Johnson

One Too Many
He is regarded as living god by several thousand New Guinea head-hunters - better retract or they'll be after you...:)

Seriously, he is wearing the jacket in Navy fashion (where he did his service) rather than lounge fashion. Count teh mumber of buttons...

SteveN

One of the Regulars
SteveN said:
Doesn't that blazer look too big? There is no cuff exposed, and if there were they would be down to his knuckles.

SteveN

So, is navy fashion to wear blazers and/or shirts down to the knuckles?:)

Regards,
- SteveN

MrBern said:
Three cheers to the man who can still fit into is trousers 51 years later!

Indeed.

With the exception of a period spanning some handful of months when I was in my late teens, I've been overweight to one degree or another my entire life.

I have over the past couple of years huffed and puffed and dieted my way to a weight only five pounds or so over what it was during those brief and distant days of svelteitude. But there is still no way I could fit into the pants I wore back then. I clearly recall wearing 32-inch waist blue jeans, with 36-inch inseams. Now, I'm comfortable in a 36-inch waist, although a 35 is OK (yes, you can get some brands in odd-numbered sizes) and a 34 would do in a pinch (it might pinch me itself), but I'd definitely skip dessert. And a 36-inch inseam is an inch or two long on me these days.

So, it would appear that it's more than a matter of maintaining one's weight. Our proportions tend to change over the decades, so for those of us not blessed with good genes it takes a regular and ongoing exercise regimen to keep "in shape."

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Forgive me for pointing this out, but there is no reason (other than a reduction in activity and an increase in food consumption) why a man should not fit into the same clothes in his eighties as he did in his youth.

Indeed, in some societies that have lifestyles that are less then luxurious, it is common to see men losing weight and size as they get into old age. Prince Philip is known to lead an active lifestyle and not to enjoy rich food and it shows.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Another reason, HJ, would be the quality of the original clothes. How many of us as youths could have afforded, or knew how to obtain, the sort of quality that would last 60+ years? (I'm speaking purely for myself here, of course...)

Is there a long-lived items thread? There should be.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
Forgive me for pointing this out, but there is no reason (other than a reduction in activity and an increase in food consumption) why a man should not fit into the same clothes in his eighties as he did in his youth.

Indeed, in some societies that have lifestyles that are less then luxurious, it is common to see men losing weight and size as they get into old age. Prince Philip is known to lead an active lifestyle and not to enjoy rich food and it shows.

Break out the bread and dripping...but then that's why most died of heart attacks in later life...IMHO...you are completely right of course but instead most of us put on 10kg per decade of age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart