Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Probably should be posted in "Ask a Question..."

Victor Valis

New in Town
...but it's my first time posting, and can't quite figure out how to navigate. Anyhow, simple question: I have a Stetson Twenty, my favorite hat, I had it for years. Wore it into the ground, always too poor to have it cleaned or blocked. After a few years exiled to my closet for a spell, I sent it to VS Custom Hats, and they revived it. Nice and clean with a matching hat band (it had faded and changed colors over the years). Still has a lot of character. All the time I owned it, the crown had a teardrop shape, and had it blocked that way, but I wonder how the Twenties were originally blocked. Teardrop or gutter? Or up to the owner? Anyone knows, let me know. I'm curious, now that the hat is presentable and wearable again. Thanks folks!

First, welcome to the Lounge, Victor. Pull up a seat.

As you navigate through this site, you'll see many examples of how hats were worn in the early to mid 20th century. What will strike you is the great variety of styles and clothing combinations that are paired together. City hats, country hats, hats with suits, work clothes, fedoras with overalls, etc.

What you will also find is that hat creases, pinches, and brim treatments run the gamut, as well. Hat creases in those days reflected the taste of the wearer; how a man bashed his hat was how he reflected that. Center, diamond, teardrop creases were all common. As were various pinches - tight, wide, deep, casual, meticulous.

There is no wrong answer. Look through threads such as The Non Shorpy Web All Stars or What Hat Are You Wearing Today to get some ideas. Then bash away and find the look that's right for you.

Sent directly from my mind to yours

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I personally prefer a center crease (gutter ?) on most , but Lids used to come Open Crown , so the buyer could personalize it , or copy the Actor in vogue they wanted to emulate . That still goes on , just ... much Whackier now . Try several and see what you prefer , some Hats look better in one style crease over another , but it's the guy that bought and wears it that matters . Fruno pointed you to the right threads . You'll see personality , style , and Hatitude ... . You can learn more than you think by the way a person wears their hat (s) .

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Welcome Victor, I hope you'll enjoy the ride :)

Men's hats and women's hair have a lot in common. We love when it's complimented - and hate when they are dissed. No matter how it looks, when we first receive it, we spend hour upon hour, trying out new styles in front of a mirror ... sometimes with an extra hand held mirror to view ourselves from the side/back. As soon as we've found the ultimate crease, we start to doubt our own judgement, and the next day we start all over.

As Fruno and Michael already have said: Look closely at hats in pictures and movies and let that inspire you. Over time you will most surely develop the disorder, called "Lounger's Tunnel Vision" ;)

You may also find this thread interesting: http://thefedoralounge.com/threads/monster-bash-videos-show-us-how-you-bash.85436/
That's where some loungers share their tips and tricks about their personal creasing techniques. Crease away my friend ... it's half the fun :)

Victor Valis

New in Town
Thanks folks, there are some creases in the crown that were there before the hat was cleaned and re-blocked, and I thought the hat was trying to go back to a shape it originally had. I'll admit they add character and are only distracting to me, because I'm the only one who knows they're there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats