Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Navin Aero Jacket #2 now underway...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
The cafe racer has a leather "kidney" panel as standard:
56128454.jpg

Mine should come at the end of this month and there is a lounger that might get his in the next coupple of weeks.

Mine is with black cotton drill. I want it as durable as possible.
I like the thought of the contrast black/orange.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Edward said:
Aha! It hadn't occurred to me to thing that Aero might do more than one type of steer.... I must only have read about their 'heavy steer'; haven't looked further into it as when I was ordering my Bootlegger I didn't plan on anything other than FQHH.

The hidden pockets in the Vanson above look great; much closer to your ideal than the non-zip handwarmer pockets I referred to on my Bootlegger. Those would, as suggested above, be the ideal giving you the 'clean' look you want while still having handwarmer pockets. Unless you also were to add concealed zips I wouldn't advise them as something to keep anything of import in, but I certainly appreciate them on my Bootlegger. Unlike an A2, it's just long enough that it's not really comfortable to keep one's hands in one's trouser pockets... When not carrying anything, I habitually have my hands pocketed when I walk, so I'd be a bit lost in a longer jacket that didn't have that as an option. All personal taste, really. That's the beauty of Aero's willingness to work on variations from their standard patterns - you can get exactly the jacket you want. Which is a good thing, in my mind - not least given that for most of us the sort of scratch a premium leather jacket can command isn't exactly chicken feed. ;)

Yeah, I myself didn't know that the aged tan steerhide is lighter than the other steerhide colors that Aero sells... Griff was the one who told me and he got the info directly from Amanda.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of these concealed pockets... it's too bad my work site blocks that particular picture site where the pics were uploaded to.

I'm curious though if there's a risk when sitting down that these non-zipper handwarmer pockets might bend out of shape making it noticeable... I recall someone here mentioning that as an advantage for getting zippered handwarmer pockets.

Navin323i

Practically Family
andy richards said:
Hi Navin,
I like the idea of this jacket. How about leather linings in the cuffs (in stead of gaberdine) and what about a few inch of leather (or corduroy) on the inside of the hem to prevent wear?
This colour of jacket will certainly go well with your car!
Good luck,
Andy

Those are all great ideas... do you know if the olive drab gaberdine lining that Jan has in his jackets is the only color or if they have other colors besides olive? I'm not sure how the olive color will look with the aged tan exterior color... maybe a red would be better.

I didn't think the orange color of the aged tan steerhide would match my car since it's silver, but that's cool that you made that observation. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
GriffDeLaGriff said:
The cafe racer has a leather "kidney" panel as standard:
56128454.jpg

Mine should come at the end of this month and there is a lounger that might get his in the next coupple of weeks.

Mine is with black cotton drill. I want it as durable as possible.
I like the thought of the contrast black/orange.

Darn... my work site blocks the picturetrail site where the pics are hosted... I'll have to see your pics later at home.

I agree with you... black and orange make a great contrast. I would have gone with the black cotton drill cloth lining but I already have that in my Aero NYPD jacket so I want something entirely different this time around. :)

Can't wait to see your pics, bro... I know how excited you've been to get this jacket. :)

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey Navin,

The G-1 pocket is an interior vertical opening with the snap.
I also like Ace's idea of the hidden exterior handwarmers

I don't know the oz. weight of my Highwayman heavy steer, but I'm guessing 5oz. However, I have the alpaca lining, maybe that adds weight?

Also, Andy's idea of leather extending into the interior lining from the cuff and a couple of inches up from the hem is a prudent and worthwhile addition.

I hope you are not getting a headache from all of the ideas from us!

Best regards..........coffee

andy richards

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
Those are all great ideas... do you know if the olive drab gaberdine lining that Jan has in his jackets is the only color or if they have other colors besides olive? I'm not sure how the olive color will look with the aged tan exterior color... maybe a red would be better.

I didn't think the orange color of the aged tan steerhide would match my car since it's silver, but that's cool that you made that observation. :)

Hi Navin,
It sure will be a good match and head-turner too. Just wait and see what people will say the moment you step out of your car in this jacket! I don't own a BMW and people already start to ask about my leather jacket ;) .
Also, don't know about other colours of garbadine material. Just give Amanda a call. Saying that...I think they will be back in office after 16 /08.
Cheers,
Andy

Navin323i

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
Hey Navin,

The G-1 pocket is an interior vertical opening with the snap.
I also like Ace's idea of the hidden exterior handwarmers

I don't know the oz. weight of my Highwayman heavy steer, but I'm guessing 5oz. However, I have the alpaca lining, maybe that adds weight?

Also, Andy's idea of leather extending into the interior lining from the cuff and a couple of inches up from the hem is a prudent and worthwhile addition.

I hope you are not getting a headache from all of the ideas from us!

Best regards..........coffee

Hi Coffee... so the G-1 pocket is the vertical "gun pocket" on the inside of the jacket?

I'm trying to picture Andy's idea of leather extending into the interior lining from the cuff... basically if I were to look at my cuff I would see leather going further back into the inside of the sleeve... what's the advantage of doing this?

I'm not at all getting a headache from all the wonderful ideas you all are giving me... I'm so used to getting a ton of ideas from folks on the BMW forums I frequent (so many people mod their cars differently and all have differing ideas of what looks good and what doesn't look good), so I truly appreciate everyone's feedback here including yours. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
andy richards said:
Hi Navin,
It sure will be a good match and head-turner too. Just wait and see what people will say the moment you step out of your car in this jacket! I don't own a BMW and people already start to ask about my leather jacket ;) .
Also, don't know about other colours of garbadine material. Just give Amanda a call. Saying that...I think they will be back in office after 16 /08.
Cheers,
Andy

Hey Andy... check your PM when you get a chance. :)

Good idea about checking with Amanda... yeah I know they're on break for the next couple of weeks. I know Amanda is visiting her family in Wales so I'm sure she's having a blast now. :)

too much coffee

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
Hi Coffee... so the G-1 pocket is the vertical "gun pocket" on the inside of the jacket?

I'm trying to picture Andy's idea of leather extending into the interior lining from the cuff... basically if I were to look at my cuff I would see leather going further back into the inside of the sleeve... what's the advantage of doing this?

I'm not at all getting a headache from all the wonderful ideas you all are giving me... I'm so used to getting a ton of ideas from folks on the BMW forums I frequent (so many people mod their cars differently and all have differing ideas of what looks good and what doesn't look good), so I truly appreciate everyone's feedback here including yours. :)

Navin,
Exactly, the G-1 pocket is sometimes referred to as a gun pocket. The G-1 of course is the nomenclature for the US Navy's leather aviator jacket of fame.

The leather extending into the cuff would be to prevent wear in that area and to protect that area from watches, bracelets, gloves and handcuffs (LOL!). If you look at that area on some vintage jackets/coats, it is subject to tears or rips from wear. Also, some linings over time can extend past the sleeve cuff (droopy lining) causing an unsightly condition just like at the body hem of the garment. As you know JanSolo is a fan of this mod at the hem.

Best regards........coffee

jon z

One of the Regulars

Navin323i

Practically Family
jon z said:
Very nice & interesting project you have going there Navin. I particularly like the colour. Well I would wouldn't I.

Here's a couple of jackets for you to look at which member Himelator has listed on eBay which may be useful reference material for your eventual external pockets choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-SIZE-HUGE-..._s_Clothing&hash=item5ad843734d#ht_5802wt_913

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUST-COLOURED-B..._s_Clothing&hash=item5ada35b3d3#ht_8515wt_913

John

Hi John!

Great to hear from you, my friend. I've seen this guy's eBay listings for quite sometime now... I had no idea he's a member here... very cool. :)

Thank you so much for giving me those links... those jackets do give me a good reference point for helping me figure out my external pocket options.

Navin

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Man, I told you so :rolleyes: I just knew that one wouldn't be enough. Sounds like a great project, really nice choice to contrast with your NYPD.

One thing i'd add on hand warmer pockets - I have zipped ones on my CHiPs jacket and its pretty uncomfortable putting your hands in and out. The metal zip scratches at your skin and I tend not to use them much for that reason.

Navin323i

Practically Family
JakeHolman said:
Man, I told you so :rolleyes: I just knew that one wouldn't be enough. Sounds like a great project, really nice choice to contrast with your NYPD.

One thing i'd add on hand warmer pockets - I have zipped ones on my CHiPs jacket and its pretty uncomfortable putting your hands in and out. The metal zip scratches at your skin and I tend not to use them much for that reason.

Hey Jake!

Yeah, you did tell me so... but at least I was able to resist the temptation to buy another Aero jacket for about 2 months, LOL. :)

I had a feeling that the zippers on the handwarmer pockets might cause scratching to the skin anytime you put your hands in and out of the pocket. If I do handwarmer pockets then I'll get them with no zippers.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
other lining

good morning from europe,

narvin, you can have the garbadine in other colors. mine will have a black garbadine lining. ask amanda for the possibillities.

the handwarmer pocket will come with zippers, because i like to be able to close them when i´m riding the bike.

so long

oliver

Navin323i

Practically Family
Just got home from hospital

Spent the day today in the hospital... after undergoing various radiology tests it was finally determined I have no ACL tear or any other tear in my knee, nor any fracture, so I can finally start trying to walk again (been on crutches for over a week now). :)

Still have bleeding of unknown origin in my knee so I'll have to meet with a hematologist after I return from my Bermuda cruise (leave this saturday and return next thursday). Doctors think that I might have had a bad reaction to a specific steroid called prednisone which I was prescribed for inflammation in my chest that resulted in constant coughing.

Worst part of this week was not being able to drive my car with manual transmission... given it was my left knee there was no way for me to operate the clutch pedal.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Gancho said:
good morning from europe,

narvin, you can have the garbadine in other colors. mine will have a black garbadine lining. ask amanda for the possibillities.

the handwarmer pocket will come with zippers, because i like to be able to close them when i´m riding the bike.

so long

oliver

LOL... you called me Narvin. :D

Hey Oliver... just saw your post only now since I was hospitalized all day. Thanks for the info about the other colors of garbadine.

Question for you, bro... the olive garbadine is referred to as "olive drab garbadine"... what does drab mean?

Thanks,
Navin

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
the olive garbadine is referred to as "olive drab garbadine"... what does drab mean?
Olive drab is typically the shade of green that the military wears. It is shaded towards "olive" green and it is "drab", or dull, and lacking brightness or color.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Veery nice project jacket Navin. Now how about the pics of the leather samples you promised? :eusa_clap

Navin323i

Practically Family
Bonneville said:
Veery nice project jacket Navin. Now how about the pics of the leather samples you promised? :eusa_clap

Ooops... sorry about that... will definitely try and post that soon. I'm leaving for Bermuda early tomorrow morning so if I don't get to it today I'll get to it the following weekend when I return. :)

apba1166

A-List Customer
Navin323i said:
Doctors think that I might have had a bad reaction to a specific steroid called prednisone which I was prescribed

Navin, so THAT explains the new jacket project...I once did ten days on that stuff, and found myself belting out Hamlet to nothing but four walls in the middle of the night....walking up and down the driveway 100 times singing every song I knew...or simply pulling books off all the shelves and carrying them all over the house in big stacks to different shelves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn