Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Navin Aero Jacket #2 now underway...

Navin323i

Practically Family
Gents,

I didn't think I'd ever buy more than one Aero, but a few things have influenced and inspired me to now do this:

1) I recently tore my ACL ligament in my knee (not sure how this happened since I had no direct trauma to my knee, but the area around my knee is swollen and full of fluid which was drained and turned out to be blood) and 'm on crutches now so I've been spending a lot of my free time on the site here admiring all the Aero-related posts which I've gone thru every single one by now so I'm hungry for more Aero leather. :D

2) The respect I have for all the folks here, but in particular Griff, HoosierDaddy, Jan, Peacoat, and Windward to name a few... they have all served as an inspiration to me and for that I thank them and everyone else here. :)

3) I spoke with Will, Amanda, and Moira (who made my Aero NYPD jacket) and I was so impressed by their customer service and knowledge... I definitely plan on working closely with Will and Amanda to design my new jacket.

4) Though I love my Aero NYPD jacket to death, it would be nice to switch off and wear other jackets... it would be nice to have a second Aero for this.

5) Sizing should be easier this time around since Aero has my sizing for the Aero NYPD which is the following:

Navin's NYPD Aero jacket sizing according to what Will wound up using after he received my measurements:
BLACK F/Q HORSEHIDE
SIZE 46
ONE AND A HALF INCHES OFF BACK LENGTH (TAPER TO FRONT)
6” TAPER OUT AT WAIST (2” FRONT, 4” BACK)

SMALL TURNINGS

Since all my current leather jackets are black (except for one brown leather car coat I have) I want to go a different color this time for Aero jacket #2.
Also I don't want to do horsehide again... I want my Aero NYPD jacket to be my only horsehide jacket and will spend my lifetime breaking it in and developing a nice patina.

Right now one option I'm considering for Aero jacket #2 is the cafe racer jacket in aged tan steerhide. I truly love the "orange" color of that jacket.

I'm considering either doing hand warmer pockets only or no pockets at all... you can see a picture of this jacket below and I "deleted" the breast pockets so you can see what this might look like...

AgedTan1a.jpg

I'd like to get this jacket with the side adjuster buckles like what the Highwayman has.

As for lining choices... does the olive drab garbadine lining that Jan likes come in any other colors besides olive? I'm also considering a red lining... anything else color wise that might go with the aged tan steerhide color?

Inner pockets... I'm thinking of having one vertical gun style pocket on each side... my Aero has only one inside pocket that is the horizontal style pocket.

As for zipper color I guess my only choices are brass and silver... my Aero NYPD has brass zippers so preferably I'd like something different... I wish Aero had black zippers.

Thoughts?

-- Navin

Edward

Bartender
I'd be tempted to try handwarmer pockets, maybe also a breast pocket, but - crucially - none of them with zips (see the standard-issue Bootlegger for example) - that way you have the combination of useful pockets and plainer look... The jacket does look a bit bare to my eyes without any pockets. I tend to the view that brass hardware looks best with this shade of brown. Chrome might be okay too - black would look dreadful, IMO, but then I'm not overly keen on black zips on any leather, so.

ETA: I'd check your options on hides carefully - by all accounts, the Aero Heavy Steerhide is even stiffer and weightier than their FQHH. Maybe consider the midweight horse (as per Aero's A2s), or Goat (tough, but light).

Cooperson

One Too Many
That's a good looking jacket Navin and the color seems to suit the style.
I have to agree with Edward, to my eye it does look a little bare without any pockets at all, but it's only a personal preference.

I would try and get Amanda to send you some leather samples before you choose, there is no substitute for seeing, handling and smelling the hides. The heavy steer is super thick and very, very heavy!! The medium horse is a nice weight but the finish has a painted on look, which you may or may not like. It's horses for courses :) Enjoy the decision making process!

Cheers

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
The aged tan steer is 3.5oz, same as A2 leather and medium horse.

Difference is that the aged steer is stiff and not soft, but they are as thin.

The heavy steer is the bulky, heavier then horse stuff.

Windward

Practically Family
Navin - I also like the unique look of tan steer and considering to order once an Aero with this hide. Seems that this hide got a great patina right from the beginning.

Do you already got a sample in your hands?
As Cooperson said – “there is no substitute for seeing, handling and smelling the hide...” Does it also have the "hmmm - effect?"

About the lining? – would considering brown heavy cotton drill or smooth brown sateen?! Would agree with Edward – without warmer pockets the jacket looks a bit bare...

Thanks!

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Navin,
I concur with your choice of "next jacket" from Aero.
Just bear in mind the cafe racer will be more form fitting than your NYPD horse since it was designed for bike riding. Having said that, I'd consider a bi-swing back. Your G-1 pockets idea sound good but I think you could successfully pull off zippered hand warmer pockets as well a la Schott 641.

I know you love the heft and substantial feel of the FQHH, but with this design I would agree with your choice of aged steer. Griff mentioned that the aged steer is 3.5 oz. which is quite robust but lighter than Aero's heavy steer.
As I mentioned in another post, my Highwayman in heavy steerhide is 8.2lbs.

Best of luck with your decision......will you order directly from Aero Scotland?

Regards, coffee

Gancho

One of the Regulars
nice choice!

guten tag narvin,

good choice! i´ve a very similiar jacket on order at aero. a black cafe racer in vintage horse. i choose it with only the handwarmer pockets. for me the cafe racer with out the brest pockets looks more elegant and not so much as a mc jacket. i´have had one before with 4 outside pockets, so i know how comfortable it is to have handwarmer pockets.

jacket was ordered in april, so should be ready in the next 4 weeks (hopefully).

nice sunday to all of you.

Oliver

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Navin, if you want a compromise between clean looks and functionality, how about hidden handwarmer pockets?

Edit: this is what I mean by "hidden handwarmer" pockets.

This is a customized Vanson Comet. The "eyebrow" pockets (like on the Highwayman) have been removed, and the Mandarin collar has been replaced by a roll collar. The look is akin to an old circle track jacket.

The armor has been removed, you can see some of it off to the side. A Vanson streamliner jacket is snapped into the Comet, for additional warmth in cold weather.

The front is nice and clean, kinda like your project jacket, wouldn't you agree?

4850386399_a236716b45.jpg

But ... there's a hidden secret! lol

4850385925_6dd5b6d59a.jpg

(Actually, two secrets as there is one pocket on each side.)

In this way you can get the nice clean look you want ... while preserving the functionality of having pockets for when things get cold.

Wolfe, nice photoshop skillz. :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Edward said:
I'd be tempted to try handwarmer pockets, maybe also a breast pocket, but - crucially - none of them with zips (see the standard-issue Bootlegger for example) - that way you have the combination of useful pockets and plainer look... The jacket does look a bit bare to my eyes without any pockets. I tend to the view that brass hardware looks best with this shade of brown. Chrome might be okay too - black would look dreadful, IMO, but then I'm not overly keen on black zips on any leather, so.

ETA: I'd check your options on hides carefully - by all accounts, the Aero Heavy Steerhide is even stiffer and weightier than their FQHH. Maybe consider the midweight horse (as per Aero's A2s), or Goat (tough, but light).

Hi Edward,

Thank you so much for your post... good advice too. As Griff mentioned, the aged tan steerhide is the only steerhide that isn't heavy compared to the other steerhides. The aged tan steerhide is closer to weight of the midweight horsehide, so it will be definitely lighter but still quite stiff. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Cooperson said:
That's a good looking jacket Navin and the color seems to suit the style.
I have to agree with Edward, to my eye it does look a little bare without any pockets at all, but it's only a personal preference.

I would try and get Amanda to send you some leather samples before you choose, there is no substitute for seeing, handling and smelling the hides. The heavy steer is super thick and very, very heavy!! The medium horse is a nice weight but the finish has a painted on look, which you may or may not like. It's horses for courses :) Enjoy the decision making process!

Cheers

Hey Cooperson!

Thanks for your post. I agree with the general consensus here that no pockets whatsoever does make the front of the jacket bare.

Actually, I'm following your exact thought process and ordered some leather samples last week from Amanda. They arrived a couple of days ago so I'll post up some pics in this thread of the samples later on today. The aged tan leather sample is such a beautiful color... definitely suits my skin color. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Windward said:
Navin - I also like the unique look of tan steer and considering to order once an Aero with this hide. Seems that this hide got a great patina right from the beginning.

Do you already got a sample in your hands?
As Cooperson said – “there is no substitute for seeing, handling and smelling the hide...” Does it also have the "hmmm - effect?"

About the lining? – would considering brown heavy cotton drill or smooth brown sateen?! Would agree with Edward – without warmer pockets the jacket looks a bit bare...

Thanks!

Hi Windward!

Yes sir... just got the leather samples a couple of days back. Aged tan steerhide looks AMAZING in person. I also got a sample of their India Water Buffalo hide and a new hide they recently obtained from south africa... I'll post up some pics later on this evening.
Good lining choices you suggested... thank you, bro. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
Hi Navin,
I concur with your choice of "next jacket" from Aero.
Just bear in mind the cafe racer will be more form fitting than your NYPD horse since it was designed for bike riding. Having said that, I'd consider a bi-swing back. Your G-1 pockets idea sound good but I think you could successfully pull off zippered hand warmer pockets as well a la Schott 641.

I know you love the heft and substantial feel of the FQHH, but with this design I would agree with your choice of aged steer. Griff mentioned that the aged steer is 3.5 oz. which is quite robust but lighter than Aero's heavy steer.
As I mentioned in another post, my Highwayman in heavy steerhide is 8.2lbs.

Best of luck with your decision......will you order directly from Aero Scotland?

Regards, coffee

Hi Coffee!

Great suggestion about the bi-swing back. I thought this jacket comes standard with the bi-swing back... am I correct?

I thought about zippered handwarmer pockets but I wasn't sure if the zipper teeth would scratch my skin when unzipped and I put my hands in the pockets.

What are G-1 pockets? Do those have zippers?

I'll definitely order directly from Aero Scotland this time. I figured since I ordered from Mark for my first jacket I'd do something different this time and work directly with Will and Amanda.

Wow... 8.2lbs! The oz weight of my Aero NYPD FQHH jacket is 4.5oz... what is the oz weight of your steerhide Highwayman?

Navin323i

Practically Family
Gancho said:
guten tag narvin,

good choice! i´ve a very similiar jacket on order at aero. a black cafe racer in vintage horse. i choose it with only the handwarmer pockets. for me the cafe racer with out the brest pockets looks more elegant and not so much as a mc jacket. i´have had one before with 4 outside pockets, so i know how comfortable it is to have handwarmer pockets.

jacket was ordered in april, so should be ready in the next 4 weeks (hopefully).

nice sunday to all of you.

Oliver

Guten Tag Oliver!

Will your cafe racer jacket have zippered handwarmer pockets or non-zippered? I can't wait to see your new jacket... definitely post pics and shoot me a PM when you've posted it so i don't miss seeing your post. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
WolfeMan said:
Bit of an improvement on your picture.
agedtan1a.jpg

If you like the jacket, i say go for it.
Wolfe

A HUGE improvement on my picture... thank you so much for doing that, Wolfe!! I have zero picture editing skills as you can see. :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer said:
Navin, if you want a compromise between clean looks and functionality, how about hidden handwarmer pockets?

Edit: this is what I mean by "hidden handwarmer" pockets.

This is a customized Vanson Comet. The "eyebrow" pockets (like on the Highwayman) have been removed, and the Mandarin collar has been replaced by a roll collar. The look is akin to an old circle track jacket.

The armor has been removed, you can see some of it off to the side. A Vanson streamliner jacket is snapped into the Comet, for additional warmth in cold weather.

The front is nice and clean, kinda like your project jacket, wouldn't you agree?

4850386399_a236716b45.jpg

But ... there's a hidden secret! lol

4850385925_6dd5b6d59a.jpg

(Actually, two secrets as there is one pocket on each side.)

In this way you can get the nice clean look you want ... while preserving the functionality of having pockets for when things get cold.

Wolfe, nice photoshop skillz. :D

Hi Ace!

My worksite blocks the site where you hosted the pics you posted here so I can't see them... will check it out later when I get home. :)

I like the idea of hidden pockets though. :)

Edward

Bartender
Navin323i said:
Hi Edward,

Thank you so much for your post... good advice too. As Griff mentioned, the aged tan steerhide is the only steerhide that isn't heavy compared to the other steerhides. The aged tan steerhide is closer to weight of the midweight horsehide, so it will be definitely lighter but still quite stiff. :)

Aha! It hadn't occurred to me to thing that Aero might do more than one type of steer.... I must only have read about their 'heavy steer'; haven't looked further into it as when I was ordering my Bootlegger I didn't plan on anything other than FQHH.

The hidden pockets in the Vanson above look great; much closer to your ideal than the non-zip handwarmer pockets I referred to on my Bootlegger. Those would, as suggested above, be the ideal giving you the 'clean' look you want while still having handwarmer pockets. Unless you also were to add concealed zips I wouldn't advise them as something to keep anything of import in, but I certainly appreciate them on my Bootlegger. Unlike an A2, it's just long enough that it's not really comfortable to keep one's hands in one's trouser pockets... When not carrying anything, I habitually have my hands pocketed when I walk, so I'd be a bit lost in a longer jacket that didn't have that as an option. All personal taste, really. That's the beauty of Aero's willingness to work on variations from their standard patterns - you can get exactly the jacket you want. Which is a good thing, in my mind - not least given that for most of us the sort of scratch a premium leather jacket can command isn't exactly chicken feed. ;)

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Navin,
I like the idea of this jacket. How about leather linings in the cuffs (in stead of gaberdine) and what about a few inch of leather (or corduroy) on the inside of the hem to prevent wear?
This colour of jacket will certainly go well with your car!
Good luck,
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo