Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper G-1 Jacket Fit?

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Just be careful with those roads over to Malibu. As I have gotten older the mountain roads hold less allure for me. I still like curves, but maybe not curves above a 1000' drop off into the valley below, with no guard rails.

I'm on the central coast - this was taken in San Simeon just north of Hearst Castle. This section of PCH is in great condition, low traffic, large radius curves and not too high above sea level. I still haven't ridden south of Santa Barbara and into LA or Orange County yet. I can't quite bring myself to ride down in the heavy traffic down there. I take it easy in the mountainous part of PCH going into Big Sur. The drop offs don't bother me too much, but something certainly to be mindful of.

Stlawrence

New in Town
I have to weigh in with the whole fit issue. I know, right off the bat, that for those who can pay a thousand bucks for a jacket, you want the thing to fit like you want. Nothing wrong with that. It's the perpetual seek for perfection.

I was, to quote a Peter Sellers movie, not always as you see me now. As a young officer in the armed forces, we got an initial clothing allowance and were expected to outfit ourselves accordingly. We had to buy a dress uniform, a class A uniform, and fatigue uniforms - and that was it. Officers don't get a monthly clothing allowance - it's a one-time shot. Field gear was issued, and belonged to the service, not to us. Regulations prohibited tailoring issue gear.

As young bucks, we all got our personal uniforms tailored shin tight. That looked good. With the arrogance of youth, I guess we thought we'd always have 28 inch waists. The tight uniforms looked good in garrison, but in the field they sucked. Too tight. Couldn't move as well. Well, my initial uniforms (as well as all of my friends) lasted about five years and then, after all the tailoring give had been let out, I had to shell out of my pocket to buy new ones.

That time I was smarter. No more skin tight uniforms. I got uniforms that fit, and with a little allowance "to grow into," as Mother used to say, and those lasted me a very long time.

All that is preface for my echoing what many others have said. First, the supply sergeant could not care less whether your waist band bunched or your sleeves were a half inch too long. As officers, I'm sure the pilots got to have some choice in their fit, but it was all off the shelf - you took what you got. Second, just like me and my friends, I would bet they learned that a flight jacket - like utility uniforms - are essentially a tool to help you do your job, and function is more than fit.

So. If you have the means or the luck to score a beautiful A-1, A-2, or G-2, celebrate its beauty for itself. Maybe it doesn't fit you perfectly, but look at the WWII and Korean War photos - some of those pilots didn't look good in their jackets, but I'll bet they treasured them. Not all of us have the perfect build to look great in the flight jacket - I don't - but by Golly, I love mine. I hope you love yours.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Well said @Stlawrence ! The more I think about it, the less I think a leather flight jacket should fit perfectly trim. It's better to have some room versus it being perfect with no room for the smallest expansion. I think if you are in-between sizes, it is always best to go up to the next size. I have found that my body shape has changed significantly in the last 10 years - I actually weigh less, my waist is smaller, but my chest, back, and shoulders have widened some from my increased exercise routine (lots of swimming, pushups, and pullups) the past few years which has caused me to be one jacket size larger now than in my college days.

I now realized the "best" fit is really the happy medium between loose and "perfectly" trim. Room to expand some but looks naturally relaxed without it being sloppy.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
that "Top Gun" 44 suits you really well - like the fit but for my taste simply too many patches on the jacket so I'd buy a plain one rather then the Movie version

interesting to learn you own similar jackets in different sizes

same with me but not with leather jackets

nice motorbike btw

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
@4444Design - Thanks for the kind note! I was weary of the Top Gun G-1 for a while but after putting it on it was a lot cooler than I thought it would be. No one really mistakes me for a pilot so much as they admire the jacket.

The only jacket I own 2 sizes of in the same model is the Cockpit G-1 milspec only because I found both sizes for a steal on eBay and use either depending on what I plan to wear under it. But if I had to choose only one, I would only have the size 44 as it better fits my shoulders.

On a similar note - I just found a slightly used Cockpit 100 Mission G-1 (Top Gun jacket without the patches) in size 44 on eBay for over 60% off the regular retail price last week! I just had to get it! @Deacon211 was spot on in his review of it...it is the perfect jacket if you are in-between even sizes. The 44 feels more like a size 43 compared to their milspec offering. I used to own a 60s Star Sportswear G-1 in a 44 years ago. I ended up selling it despite being a fantastic jacket because the sleeves were just too damn short for my long arms. The 100 Mission G-1 reminds me very much of that jacket except the sleeves are the right length!

@Brettafett - My thoughts on the 100 Mission G-1 vs the Top Gun Movies Heroes jacket is that they are very similar to each other. The jacket seems a touch lighter (maybe due to the lack of patches), the collar is a little smaller, and the sleeves and shoulders measure about 0.5" shorter/narrower (which could be in the range of manufacturing variations between 2 jackets of the same size). The body length and armpit measurements come out to be the same as the TG jacket.

The most interesting thing is that the TG jacket blouses out a lot more in the back and this 100 Mission has hardly any of that, despite the 2 feeling similar in room around the mid-section.

Here are some fit pictures:

Picture 66_edited.jpg Picture 67_edited.jpg Picture 69_edited.jpg Picture 68_edited.jpg

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well said @Stlawrence ! The more I think about it, the less I think a leather flight jacket should fit perfectly trim. It's better to have some room versus it being perfect with no room for the smallest expansion. I think if you are in-between sizes, it is always best to go up to the next size. I have found that my body shape has changed significantly in the last 10 years - I actually weigh less, my waist is smaller, but my chest, back, and shoulders have widened some from my increased exercise routine (lots of swimming, pushups, and pullups) the past few years which has caused me to be one jacket size larger now than in my college days.

I now realized the "best" fit is really the happy medium between loose and "perfectly" trim. Room to expand some but looks naturally relaxed without it being sloppy.

Lots of swimming here too (broad chest & shoulders), trim in the body for me will generally mean very snug chest & shoulders too..have gone up a size to accommodate..but not the 'baggy' look :)

GregGale

One of the Regulars
Back in June I bought a G-1 from AVI LTHR. I ordered a 40 and a 42 to be sure, the 40 had a strange fit even though I have a 39 chest. The 42 looked and felt much better. Now that I started wearing the jacket I'm having second thoughts. The sleeves feel too long and baggy, and the body is a bit too long as well. This contract has wide shoulders, which doesn't help either. Is this really how a G-1 is supposed to fit me? Then again, Tom Cruise had an even bigger jacket in Top Gun :D What do you think?

IMG_1508.JPG

dannyk

One Too Many
@thor being someone who loves G-1s and having seen you wear a couple in the what jacket are you wearing today thread. I’ve traditionally been a biker jacket guy. I’m trying to expand my tastes and the G-1 has been my pick. Without wanting to go to an Aero or Lost Worlds level of jacket at the moment, without knowing how I feel with a G-1 on my frame; although maybe one day if I fall in love with a G-1. Do you or anyone else reading this thread and your myriad of experiences have a favorite mid-price G-1 brand like AVI or Cockpit or any others? Let me know any opinions here G-1 lovers!

thor

One Too Many
@dannyk I’m a big fan of eBay and you can find lots of bargains if you search for a while. Original G-1 jackets in good condition can usually be found at a fair price, especially those in sizes 40-44. I’m a 46/48 so it takes a bit more searching and patience!
As far as mid-level jackets go, The Cockpit actually makes a decent repro but wait for one of their sales (20% off). Before they stopped making leather jackets, Gibson&Barnes was a really nice manufacturer of quality G-1 jackets (the Navy Blue Angels sourced their custom jackets from them).
U.S. Wings has a variety of G-1 jackets and some are quite nice. I got one of their limited edition bison leather G-1’s on sale and she is a beauty!
Hope some of this info helps. Good luck!

dannyk

One Too Many
@dannyk I’m a big fan of eBay and you can find lots of bargains if you search for a while. Original G-1 jackets in good condition can usually be found at a fair price, especially those in sizes 40-44. I’m a 46/48 so it takes a bit more searching and patience!
As far as mid-level jackets go, The Cockpit actually makes a decent repro but wait for one of their sales (20% off). Before they stopped making leather jackets, Gibson&Barnes was a really nice manufacturer of quality G-1 jackets (the Navy Blue Angels sourced their custom jackets from them).
U.S. Wings has a variety of G-1 jackets and some are quite nice. I got one of their limited edition bison leather G-1’s on sale and she is a beauty!
Hope some of this info helps. Good luck!
I’ve been looking at all of those actually! Being a newbie outside cross zip Moto jackets I’m not huge on authenticity or being “perfect” so to speak. But would still like a semi authentic look. I had my eye on the mil-spec from Cockpit, the Navy G-1 From Gibson and Barnes, and The Signature Series Navy from US Wings. Out of the 3 anyone here have a favorite or opinions? Any and all welcome.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think it would be important to establish what is the best G1 pattern for your frame. The issues isn't so much which one is best it is also which one will fit best. Gibson and Barnes for instance were oversized, with 22 inch shoulders. If you are a big guy then this will be ok.

It is useful to establish your key numbers: chest (pit to pit), back, sleeve, shoulder width and then see what is around that best suits your numbers.

In my case I really dislike the furry collar on G1's so I would have to get the Cockpit version with the removable mouton. We have seen on this thread that this one fits a tall, lean frame which is good for me.

dannyk

One Too Many
I think it would be important to establish what is the best G1 pattern for your frame. The issues isn't so much which one is best it is also which one will fit best. Gibson and Barnes for instance were oversized, with 22 inch shoulders. If you are a big guy then this will be ok.

It is useful to establish your key numbers: chest (pit to pit), back, sleeve, shoulder width and then see what is around that best suits your numbers.

In my case I really dislike the furry collar on G1's so I would have to get the Cockpit version with the removable mouton. We have seen on this thread that this one fits a tall, lean frame which is good for me.
I’m pretty good on my moto jacket fits. I can tell you I’m hard to size for. As I’m short and relatively thin. 5-7, maybe 5’8. And in the 130-140lb size depending on when ya catch me. If you have a recommendation for that I’m all ears or I guess rather eyes as I will be reading your response ha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ