Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proposing Something New to the Fedora Lounge.

Good Idea/ Bad Idea

• I want to be a member... Create It.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not interested... Keep It Like It Is.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Awhile back ago... well now that I think about it quite awhile back ago after "The Gamble House Tour Event". The 24th of June of last year to be percise Matt Deckard, Mojave Jack, and I where having a drink in a local establishment and where shooting around ideas about a "group" or "society" or "guild" of adventurers for the Fedora Lounge and after the success of the "Archelogical Expedition and Camping Trip" set up by Nick Charles this past weekend I believe that it is time now to orginize something ligitimate.

Now during our drinks we shot out a couple names but never where really able to agree on one so I thought I would shoot them out and see what everyone thought and if anyone else had any ideas to also include them. I think the ones we came up with where somewhere along the lines of:

- The Adventure Society of The Fedora Lounge
- The Fedora Lounge Adventures Guild
- The Fedora Lounge Adventurers League
- The Fedora Lounge Explorers Guild

Things like that. I have as well taken the liberty of creating a crest if you will, it is by no means a final draft and can be changed depending on the feelings of everyone, that would signify our group and can be different colors depending on the event, say blue for cold "events" orange for hot "events" green for "events" in the jungle or forest. Then they can be made into patches, letterheads announcing upcoming events, stamps, ect. This could be like The National Geographic Society or something along those lines.

232774413.jpg

And basically the reason I would like to see this section created is so people know where to go to find the "adventurous" events coming down the pipeline and a place to discuss what kind of these events you would like to see. Plus it would keep the two event types apart from each other as in something like the Queen Mary or The Great Air Raid are dress up/ look your best. The Adventure one is more of we are going to get down and dirty.

So let me know if this is something you like or if you think I'm just wasting MK's time and everything is great like it is.

Yours In Adventure-

Julius Xavier

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
New Title name that hit me this morning

I woke up and this name hit me for some reason while I was toasting my morning english muffin. How bout...

If we went with "Fedora Lounge Adventurers Guild" we could call it F.L.A.G. for short.

Yours In Adventure-
JX

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Oh I understand...

Hey everyone I understand that "The Fedora Lounge" is MK's "property" and I wouldn't use it without his permission by any means. I started this thread as more of an intrest gatherer and then I'll personally goto MK and present him with this idea I was just gathering intrested parties first because I'd feel kinda silly going to him and showing him the idea and then having no one interested. You know what I'm saying? I'm sure eventually MK will stumble accross this thread and weigh in on his thoughts and what not. I'm diffentally not trying to step on anyones toes or anything like that.

Yours In Adventure-
JX

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
As a newbie I'm not really up to speed on these things, but I only found this since I happened to click on "New Posts." I rarely read "News" since I come here to escape much of that stuff! Maybe The Observation Bar would be more appropriate?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'm definately in! I suspect Baggers, Belly Tank, and Mike K. (amongst others) will be up for this, too, but probably just haven't seen the thread yet.

I think it would be a great way to organize some great events. I've looked into a couple organizations, but unfortunately find the membership fees a bit burdensome. When I add that the the fees I already pay to professional organizations, I just can't justify it. That's why I think this is a great idea, so we can get some of the benefits of a larger membership, without the need for dues and administrative costs.

Baggers

Practically Family
I'm here

My apologies to all. Just now trying to get back up to speed.

Of course, count me in!

Hopefully MK will grant his approval for using the FL trademark, especially if some specific boundaries for it's use in this context can be agreed upon. If not, we just come up with something else.

One comment on the logo though, if I may. Regardless of what name is decided on, I think that an old style compass rose or some other piece of ancient navigational gear such as an astrolabe or sextant should used as the centerpiece.

Of course, and this is simply my own biases being reflected, I'm thinking this group could be partly inspired by the 1930s "Zerzura Club." Does that spark some extra interest? Mojave? BT? Hmmm? :)
Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Nick Charles said:

Thanks for posting that link Nick, it's an excellent summation of Kelly's book which in itself is a great read. I, of course, wasn't wishing to copy the original club, but I rather like the quote in the article: "I like to think of Zerzura as an idea for which we have no apt word in English, meaning something waiting to be discovered in some out-of-the-way place. As long as any part of the world remains uninhabited, Zerzura will be there." To me, that probably describes the state of mind of our group to a tee. That's the spirit I'd like to invoke.

Nick Charles said:
I'm going o have toagree, the logo seems Xmen not Explorer

But not a bad beginning. We had to start somewhere, didn't we? Maybe it will get the creative juices flowing within the group.

Cheers!

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
That's all I intended to do...

Like I said the logo is by no means final... I just kinda threw it together to get the creative juices flowing. Let's start throwing ideas out. I just hope I'm still included when all is said and done...it seems like my post is slipping away.

Yours In Adventure-
JX

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I wouldn't worry about getting left behind. I didn't mean anything, I just thought it would be classic looking and have destination type stuff in it. Good ideas so far.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Interesting idea

We could call it Fedora Lounge Organized Persons? But seriously folks, this sounds sort of like a Society for Creative Anachronisms for the 1920 - 1960 period, right? Sounds like fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn