Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Bad Actors in Classifieds

AHP91

Practically Family
Tfl classifieds

View attachment 586841

Two weeks later on ebay

View attachment 586840

Another two weeks later on Vinted

View attachment 586839
Quite honestly, it's tough to say whether the person bought it with the intention of flipping it for more. Perhaps it didn't fit (or their wife hated it) and they relisted it for what they thought they could get out of it. I've sold some jackets and have seen them relisted on eBay for about twice the amount I sold it for. And these were active TFL users.

No offense, but I've also seen people gaining info on certain jackets, purchasing them (whether from the U.S. or in Japan), and relisting here on eBay for a significantly higher price. I suppose that's their right to do so, but let's not pretend that people are just happy to pass on their items at discount rates.

Oddly enough, I've played tons of poker (online and in-person) where people would have a big speech about how they don't care about the money in play, until it's their turn to pay up. Sort of a lesson that's stuck with me.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah I've been more annoyed by the people asking for info on their jackets just so they csn list them for more money.

I don't really disagree. I used the classifieds in the title because I had just seen posts on their crappy leather discussions urging people to come get their stuff from TFL, and I figured that a title that didn't specifically mention Redditors might be overlooked by them.

I was just in a recent case of that where someone wanted a "jacket ID" for a very standard Perfecto, then after we answered, predictably flipped right to "okay how much can I sell it for".

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I don't really disagree. I used the classifieds in the title because I had just seen posts on their crappy leather discussions urging people to come get their stuff from TFL, and I figured that a title that didn't specifically mention Redditors might be overlooked by them.

I was just in a recent case of that where someone wanted a "jacket ID" for a very standard Perfecto, then after we answered, predictably flipped right to "okay how much can I sell it for".
Yeah both issues are clearly present. People are clearly trying to take advantage of the knowledge here.

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars
Tfl classifieds

View attachment 586841

Two weeks later on ebay

View attachment 586840

Another two weeks later on Vinted

View attachment 586839

This jacket was mine. It does make me feel a bit daft when someone sold it on for double the amount :confused:. I listed it here for what I paid on eBay so that a fellow enthusiast could enjoy it. I should've put in a sell-on commission clause :p

I had sold another jacket to the buyer in the past which I think they held onto, so maybe it wasn't a straightforward buy-to-flip case, who knows.

jeo

One Too Many
Yeah both issues are clearly present. People are clearly trying to take advantage of the knowledge here.
Taking advantage?

Interesting. I obviously don’t monitor every single transaction here but I can’t remember a long standing member ever getting screwed over by a new member. There are no suckers on here. I have seen the opposite though.

I think people need to distinguish between flipping for a profit and charging over market value. We’ve had plenty of both on this forum. If someone got $1000 jacket at a flea market for $50 they have every right to make a profit. It’s when they charge $2000 for $1000 jacket is when it’s not right. The people who charge over market value well, guess what, their shit doesn’t sell.

My philosophy on this is, if as a seller you don’t do your due diligence, you deserve to get taken. I’ve “taken advantage” of that and have gotten steals many times before as have many members here have throughout the years. Same goes with being an educated buyer.

New members coming on here and asking questions about what they have and how much it’s worth is them doing their due diligence. I have no problem and will continue to have no problem telling people what they have and how much it’s worth. In fact, not only will I tell them how much it’s worth, I will help them achieve that number. Then, if I’m interested, I will let them know, Hey… I can either help you achieve that number OR I can save you all that work time and effort And I’ll usually offer anywhere between 20 to 30% of market value. Win-win. People have reached out to me privately before and I’ve been able to get jackets doing exactly this.

Pyritez

New in Town
You've got to understand that Reddittors are largely adult males still living with their parents & posting from their computer nerd lair in their parents basement.

If they can conjure up a money-making scheme amongst themselves on Reddit...they certainly will, lol. Doesn't matter what it entails, other than requiring that they *not* leave the computer & their mom's basement.

So...highly doubt they are actually wearing the jacket(s), as they literally never go outside. They're flipping 'em for profit.

Just charge a Reddittor surtax on known Reddit dwellers. Like...a 50% markup. That'll fix it shortabouts, lol.

Taking advantage?

Interesting. I obviously don’t monitor every single transaction here but I can’t remember a long standing member ever getting screwed over by a new member. There are no suckers on here. I have seen the opposite though.

I think people need to distinguish between flipping for a profit and charging over market value. We’ve had plenty of both on this forum. If someone got $1000 jacket at a flea market for $50 they have every right to make a profit. It’s when they charge $2000 for $1000 jacket is when it’s not right. The people who charge over market value well, guess what, their shit doesn’t sell.

My philosophy on this is, if as a seller you don’t do your due diligence, you deserve to get taken. I’ve “taken advantage” of that and have gotten steals many times before as have many members here have throughout the years. Same goes with being an educated buyer.

New members coming on here and asking questions about what they have and how much it’s worth is them doing their due diligence. I have no problem and will continue to have no problem telling people what they have and how much it’s worth. In fact, not only will I tell them how much it’s worth, I will help them achieve that number. Then, if I’m interested, I will let them know, Hey… I can either help you achieve that number OR I can save you all that work time and effort And I’ll usually offer anywhere between 20 to 30% of market value. Win-win. People have reached out to me privately before and I’ve been able to get jackets doing exactly this.

Agreed. It’s just the subterfuge that’s annoying. The feigned interest in jackets or BS background as to why all the questions. Just say, I got this jacket I want to sell, how do I not get crushed? I’d help that dude.

You've got to understand that Reddittors are largely adult males still living with their parents & posting from their computer nerd lair in their parents basement.

If they can conjure up a money-making scheme amongst themselves on Reddit...they certainly will, lol. Doesn't matter what it entails, other than requiring that they *not* leave the computer & their mom's basement.

So...highly doubt they are actually wearing the jacket(s), as they literally never go outside. They're flipping 'em for profit.

Just charge a Reddittor surtax on known Reddit dwellers. Like...a 50% markup. That'll fix it shortabouts, lol.

Accurate! But are you some redditor dangle? Haha. Welcome to TFL.

jeo

One Too Many
Agreed. It’s just the subterfuge that’s annoying. The feigned interest in jackets or BS background as to why all the questions. Just say, I got this jacket I want to sell, how do I not get crushed? I’d help that dude.
Yes 100% agree with you. Honesty is key (on both sides). We are great at see through peoples bullshit I think though. Those people get ripped to shreds on here. I also think tone and other proper etiquette is very important.

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Very, very interesting discussion.

I don’t have a real opinion in terms of good/bad, but I do have some personal thoughts on the issue.

1. If a member asks for advice, I either give it or else ignore the request.

The later usually because I feel, I have nothing to contribute. I certainly am not annoyed by such requests.
I find it obvious that it must be new(er) members asking questions. How else are they supposed to learn, if they can’t ask questions?

2. I usually do ignore questions about ‚value‘, although I really don’t remember but one or two of such specific requests.
Reason is that I don’t feel qualified to judge the resale value of a given used jacket.

3. I price to sell. I never highball or try to make a profit. When I sell, I feel I have enjoyed the ‚emotional dividend‘ of my original investment, so I have zero issue with selling at a discount (That’s not a ‚loss‘ for me).

4. I don’t really care, whom I sell to. In some instances, I have a specific member in mind when deciding to sell something. I then reach out via DM before opening a thread in the Classifieds.

It usually takes me up to six weeks to sell a jacket.

During that time, ‚established members‘ have ample time to reach out. If they don’t, a ‚Newbie‘ or even somebody just aiming at flipping isn’t really taking anything away from anyone.

(The only thing that really, really annoys me is people asking for countless additional measurements only to bail out for reasons that are obviously fabricated.
Or asking random questions and then getting AWOL never to be heard from again.
Both phenomena indeed never happen with the established members here.)

5. Finally: yes, I WOULD prefer selling to somebody you enjoys my jackets for years to come. When I sell, I am happy with the deal, so I want the buyer to be happy too.
That’s were I have mixed feelings with people just looking to flip.

In the end, I try to treat anybody here as legitimate. Old and new, grumpy and jolly.
My job forces me to be hyper-vigilant and efficient. I really don’t want that in my free time. I am happy for new members to reach out, as long as it’s not the 23rd fit check leading to nothing.

Long rant over and out.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would not be happy to learn that someone had flipped something I’d sold them for a big profit but I wouldn’t get too worked up about it either. I apply the same mindset to this that I do when giving a gift: once it leaves my possession I have no right nor reason to expect that it be received and used the way I meant it to be.
I have given my brother a number of shirts and jackets over the years and with a few exceptions I have never seen him wear them. The ones that he does like he wears into the ground, literally until they are falling apart at the seams and that makes me happy.

AHP91

Practically Family
This is my feeling. It's the way that people do it that is annoying.

Feigning interest is probably a mechanism as most people would assume an online community dedicated to a niche is usually about information and showing off cool items. Most of these people who found their grandfathers Buco would like to do the bare minimum and get a number. Minimum includes the effort inputted in their classified posting.

One could easily ask a super high price on eBay, lower as needed. Or set at an auction. Again, bare minimum effort is key here.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I have been a regular member of TFL for 10 years or more, some times more active, others perhaps on the background, but it has been a consistent part of my life and one that has kept me company, taught me a lot in unexpected areas of life, and also made me spent amounts of money in clothes I would have never imagined before I started contributing here.
No regrets though, it has made me find my personal style and feel more confident in doing so.

In saying this, I think the last three or four years are the best ones in TFL’s recent history in my opinion, in terms of the camaraderie and general good vibes of the current members.

People come and go, bullies get turfed out and somehow the lounge keeps getting better, more respectful, knowledgeable and accepting of everyone’s different tastes and opinions.
Older members are quick to help new ones and do it with the best intentions.
There’s less bitchiness than a few years ago too and more mature behaviours in general.

I have faith and hope that this trend will continue and if there’s a couple of bad apples now, eventually they’ll move on to the next shiny thing and the true enthusiasts will remain here spreading good vibes and helping each other.

Let’s keep those good deals for the members coming, good deeds breed even better ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW