Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
texasgirl said:
Edward, here are a couple of trivia items from imdb

As incredible as it may seem, the scene where John Dillinger walks into the Chicago Police station and talks to police officers is based in fact. Dillinger was so cocky and sure of himself that he often would stop and chat with policemen and even act like a tourist and ask to take their pictures. He also used to call up his early adversaries, Indiana State Police Captain Matt Leach and Chicago Police Captain John Stege (Head of the "Dillinger Squad" where Dillinger wanders into the police station), and tease them about how they can't catch him.

This part is more believable when one knows that John Dillinger underwent facial reconstruction surgery in his last few months of life. This is only alluded to in the movie when Purvis comments "he may have changed his appearance," and of course isn't actually portrayed. It was crude plastic surgery, but he was able to walk out in the open, and began to go out in public very often as he became more confident in his new looks.

In the trailer Johnny Depp says to one of the bank customers, "We're here for the bank's money, not your money." This line was in a previous Michael Mann film. It was said by Robert De Niro in Heat (1995). In the finished film, this line is reversed to "We're not here for your money, we're here for the bank's."

Not only was the line, "we're here for the bank's money, not yours" used in a previous Michael Mann film, but an almost identical phrase was heard in Arthur Penn's classic, Bonnie and Clyde (1967). In the latter, Clyde, upon seeing a pile of cash at a teller's window, asks the customer if that's his money or the bank's.

Excluding de Niro's saying, this is also historically accurate on both accounts. In reality, Dillinger said it first, in the exact same circumstances as shown in the movie. A customer who had money out on the counter looked at it hesitantly during the robbery. When Dillinger noticed, he told the customer to put the money away, using that line.

A few months later, after reading about the incident in the papers, Clyde Barrow was increasingly agitated that the public seemed to love Dillinger, yet had little sympathy for he and Bonnie. Bonnie and Clyde were never great robbers, usually preferring to hold over convenience stores to banks. But on one occasion, Clyde, wanting to share some of Dillinger's prestige, robbed a bank and used the exact same line Dillinger had, after reading about it in the newspapers.

Story

I'll Lock Up
On the evening of July 22, Mike Dietz heads to Lincoln Park, bagpipes in tow, to set up shop at a bar near the Biograph Theater. Around 10:15 p.m. he straps on the pipes and joins a procession of bar-goers -- ranging from a dozen to more than one hundred -- down Lincoln Avenue toward the Biograph. The crowd strolls at a respectful pace until it arrives at the alley just south of the theater. The group lingers, as its ringleader, Richard Crowe, says some words, a prayer or both as the group laments the date of the night in 1934 that John Dillinger was shot and died in that very alley.

For Crowe and Dietz, the July 22 procession is more than an annual ritual. It's Dillinger Day, hosted by a motley crew known as The John Dillinger Died For You Society.

"Originally, it was just a table or two of people at a local restaurant," says Crowe, who began organizing Dillinger Day processions in the mid-'70s. "It got more involved because of my interest in doing something a bit more dramatic. We added a bagpiper ... started pouring out beer on the ground where he died, and so forth."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0721-dillinger-dayjul21,0,7730101.story

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
If anyone is interested, today is the day, 75 years ago, a little after 10 pm, that old Johnny met his end, at the hands of the G-men....
BiographFBI1934.jpg

John_Dillinger_grave.jpg

Rob

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The one thing I loved about this film is the beautiful neckties peppered throughout the film. I can't wait for the DVD so I can screen cap some images to send to Magnoli to see if they can be reproduced. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Doublegun

Practically Family
As luck would have it I am in Chicago week after next. Planning two side trips: the Biograph and Optimo. Does anyone know of the Biograph is still operational? It would be pretty cool to go to the Biograph tonight to see a movie.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
The one thing I loved about this film is the beautiful neckties peppered throughout the film. I can't wait for the DVD so I can screen cap some images to send to Magnoli to see if they can be reproduced. :)

Cheers!

Dan

OH MAN!! I will start saving NOW!! That is an awesome idea!

As for the plastic surgery, I saw a History channel documentary that said the techniques back then were so crude, the surgery did not really change his looks much at all. If you knew what Dillinger looked like, you would recognize him despite it.

Adele

One of the Regulars
I don't really have any new comments to add to those that have already been said, minus one. Kind of pointless, but what the heck...

Billie's hair - to me, it seemed like most of the extras had better styling to their hair. Was this intentional? Maybe it is just me.

I will say, in addition, that one of the highlights for me (if not the biggest) was getting to see Myrna on the "big screen". Even if it was for all point three seconds. I can honestly say that I never expected to get such an opportunity in my lifetime. Aww, happy tear.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Adele, I noticed the same thing. I think her hair being not so perfect was intentional. I think they wanted to show she did her own hair, didn't have the money to go to the hairdresser. And then later when she was on the run, or course it would be disheveled. But I have read nothing to back this up. I know they definitely had the hairdressers available to give her perfect fingerwaves, so that wasn't the issue :)

Edward

Bartender
texasgirl said:
Edward, here are a couple of trivia items from imdb

• As incredible as it may seem, the scene where John Dillinger walks into the Chicago Police station and talks to police officers is based in fact. Dillinger was so cocky and sure of himself that he often would stop and chat with policemen and even act like a tourist and ask to take their pictures. He also used to call up his early adversaries, Indiana State Police Captain Matt Leach and Chicago Police Captain John Stege (Head of the "Dillinger Squad" where Dillinger wanders into the police station), and tease them about how they can't catch him.

Interesting - tyou can't help but admire that level of audacity.... I can kinda understand how he must have gotten a big buzz out of that.

Adele

One of the Regulars
texasgirl said:
Adele, I noticed the same thing. I think her hair being not so perfect was intentional. I think they wanted to show she did her own hair, didn't have the money to go to the hairdresser. And then later when she was on the run, or course it would be disheveled. But I have read nothing to back this up. I know they definitely had the hairdressers available to give her perfect fingerwaves, so that wasn't the issue :)

You know, that crossed my mind as well, but then I felt like getting another person's opinion on the matter (or if anyone knew any certain facts on it). Nonetheless, I do thank you for replying!

Magic Mark

New in Town
Little Bohemia

I have a home near Little Bohmemia in Manitowish Waters, WI and eat there often.

This is where the shootout between the FBI and Dillinger took place. All the bullet holes in the windows and walls were preserved. Dillinger hightailed it out of there and left all this stuff behind, which is on display there.

They filmed the shootout on location. The film crew really spiffed the place up ... the bar looks like new now!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Great first post Mark. And, welcome to the Lounge. If you get the chance please take pictures on one of your next excursions up there for a meal. Would love to see them.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy