Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

This one is at the 'four corners' in Columbus, WI. The red brick building that you can just see a sliver of was my father's gun store, he sold the building just recently.

Ghostsoldier said:
A couple of stills I haven't seen before:

Great one of the windowpane overcoat...
pedepp1.jpg

Rob

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I find Warren Oates Dillinger much more fun, yes, some of the 70s popped up in it, but no post 34 cars and I find Oates looks much more like Dillinger then Johnny.

Glad some liked it, I was disappointed. Had all the makings to be a good movie with all the effort that was put into it, oh well.

RBH

Bartender
Forgotten Man said:
I find Warren Oates Dillinger much more fun, yes, some of the 70s popped up in it, but no post 34 cars and I find Oates looks much more like Dillinger then Johnny.

Glad some liked it, I was disappointed. Had all the makings to be a good movie with all the effort that was put into it, oh well.
I too liked the Oates Dillinger. BUT... I also enjoyed Depps.
Havent watched the DVD yet.. hope to get it in this weekend.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'll probably pick one up at some point soon. I haven't seen it since the theaters. Anyone who views the special features any time soon, feel free to post what sorts of things are included.

I tried to watch this movie today, emphasis on tried. I forgot how hard it is to watch a movie with my family. We were snowed in and were interrupted to go shovel, then most of the movie was talked over or filled with complaints that the film was too dark.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
I tried to watch this movie today, emphasis on tried. I forgot how hard it is to watch a movie with my family. We were snowed in and were interrupted to go shovel, then most of the movie was talked over or filled with complaints that the film was too dark.

It's one to be enjoyed in the theater, IMO.
;)

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I liked "Public Enemies" quite a bit. I've been thinking about it some again today and want to re-watch it already. The Oates movie "Dillinger" had more action and focused more on Dillinger and "the gang". Michael Mann's "Public Enemies" delves more into Dillingers relationship with his girlfriend.
Michael Mann's cinematic style and Johnny Depp make for a slick, stylish film. The extras offer a couple really good documentaries about Dillinger, the sites featured in the movie, etc. Very interesting. Plus the "Making of Public Enemies" feature was worthwhile I felt. It is worth buying IMO.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
I liked "Public Enemies" quite a bit. I've been thinking about it some again today and want to re-watch it already. The Oates movie "Dillinger" had more action and focused more on Dillinger and "the gang". Michael Mann's "Public Enemies" delves more into Dillingers relationship with his girlfriend.

Which isn't all that accurate. Dillinger's depiction in Mann's treatment to me is a little dark, Dillinger was more a country, somewhat rowdy personality. He robbed banks and liked to put on a show... Also, the "slick style" that Mann displayed offered too much camera shaking... hold that thing still please!

The film did very little to get the audience acquainted with the gang, with Dillinger and his history. In the Warren Oates Dillinger, he's shown roughing up Billie, now it's been discussed by many historians and those who knew Billie that he wasn't an abusive type of man. He gave her the title to his Essex so she could get around. So, he seemed to treat his Billie ok. The "Public Enemy" could have done without that "Bye, Bye Blackbird" number... *yucky*

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Could have been a classic.

Hi all,

To me, the movie Pubic Enemies was just eye-candy built around a two dimensional cartoon hero. It did keep my attention, but it's wasn't the type of movie I'd go out of my way to see again.

Most of the scenes in the movie are total fiction, and the time-line of the movie is backwards - except where Dillinger gets killed at the end.

The movie did inspire me to read up on John Dillinger and get some insight into who the man really was.

For instance; "In 1906 John's mother died. He was just three. He disappeared while the family was at the funeral home. When finally found he was standing on a chair trying to wake up his mother."

Also, right after he got out of jail in 1933 he accidentally crashed his car into a fence. But he didn't know how to put the car in reverse and needed the help of a friend to help him back the car onto the street again.

One very good book on Dillinger is "Dillinger, The Untold Story" by G. Russell Girardin. That book was written in 1935. Another good one is "Dillinger, A Short And Violent Life", by Robert Cromie (1962).

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy