Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it does; but it's not hideous (IMO). It's used scarcely and appropriately - it's a Mann film after all! :D

Mr. 'H' said:
Oh - I put on my iPod Otis Taylor's "Ten Million Slaves" and had it blaring on the car stereo on the way to the theater - got me into the mood big time!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhiO8rT_LnA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhiO8rT_LnA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Thanks Doublegun, but , sometimes, you do have to do your own research, just for your own peace of mind

After escape, packing at farm – Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah by Indian Bottom Association Old Regular Baptists

Chase in the woods – Ten Million Slaves by Otis Taylor
Dinner song – Chicago Shake by The Bruce Fowler Big Band

Second dinner song – Ballroom Bounce by The Bruce Fowler Big Band
Dance with Billie – Bye Bye Blackbird by Diana Krall

Walking into the hotel & coat check – King Porter Stomp by Benny Goodman & His Orchestra

(Unknown scene) – After The Shooting by Johan Soderqvist and Gustavo Santaolalla

Kiss, love scene – Love Me Or Leave Me by Billie Holiday

Bank robbery – Instrumental version of Ten Million Slaves by Otis Taylor
Tucson hotel, after racetrack – The Man I Love (Life from Carnegie Hall) by Billie Holiday

In car after broke out of jail – Nasty Letter by Otis Taylor

Radio song in Billie’s apartment – Am I Blue? by Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra

Talk about going to Caracas – Bye Bye Blackbird by Diana Krall

(Unknown scene) – Close Your Eyes by Al Bowlly with Lew Stone and His Orchestra

At the bar, fixing deportation – Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground by Blind Willie Johnson

(Unknown scene) – Hanna Shoots Neil by Elliot Goldenthal

(Unknown scene) – Beam by John Powell

Closing credits - The Last Round Up by Gene Autry

Original music for Public Enemies – Eliot Goldenthal

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The musical choices make perfect sense. They're going for a mid 30s feel (swing, roundtop cars, etc.) rather than an early 30s feel, because that is at least somewhat relatable to today's audiences - as well as today's movie makers and pop historians, for whom the early depression years are a kind of cultural black hole.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Just got back from this one. Pretty weak. No character development. Not some; none - so it's not a character driven movie. There are a couple of good shooting/chase scenes, but it's really not an action movie. The only bright spot, as expected, was the fashion.

All in all, this was a really forgettable movie.

Professor

A-List Customer
I'm in total agreement...

Lefty said:
Just got back from this one. Pretty weak. No character development. Not some; none - so it's not a character driven movie. There are a couple of good shooting/chase scenes, but it's really not an action movie. The only bright spot, as expected, was the fashion.

All in all, this was a really forgettable movie.
Long and dull, virtually no plot. They did reasonably well with the period recreation, but that's about it.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
vintage68 said:
Character development? You realize the book covered ONE year, right???

Aside from the line in your signature, I learned about 5 other facts about Depp's character - the time in jail for the $50 robbery, the dead mom, the abusive dad, the farm, and Indiana. - And all of those came from 2 sentences in the movie.

Bale's character has even less of a background. He's promoted to get Depp. That's it. He has no depth at all. He's just the cop after the gangster.

Doublegun

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
Thanks Doublegun, but , sometimes, you do have to do your own research, just for your own peace of mind

Dude, don't flame me. I said it had a lot of Billie Holiday.

Ying Ko

New in Town
It would have been more interesting if...

...the film focused more on the decline of the freewheeling bankrobbing days that made Dillinger famous, and Dillinger's inability to come to terms with the rise of a new era, not just in organized crime, but also law enforcement. Surely this ran across Dillinger's mind, didn't it? At least on some level?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Oh well ... it might make for a good video game. [huh]

I remember when the most recent version of King Kong came out several years ago. More than a few Fedora Loungers were quick to sing its praises, only to dismiss it as fluff a few months later. Watch for the same turnaround with this flick.

I still consider the recent King Kong to be a pretty good movie, but a bit overly long. Although, Jack Black should not be taken that seriously, either.

The problem today tends to be shooting for that portion of the public for the MTV ADD viewers. Everyone go and watch High Sierra and Petrified Forest.

I find that there are a number of pictures where the action scenes are so fast and so hard to follow i have no clue what is going on, such as the Alien vs Predator films. There are scenes in which i know things are happening but I can't really see what. Story and Charectors need time, talking even to bring out motivation and desires. Directors want to simply have you hang on to some rocket express rollercoaster ride where each moment is a desparate desire not to be thrown off. What would they do if they tried to make Dune, Silence of the Lambs or even JFK today, what would they have in it's place.

John in Covina said:
The problem today tends to be shooting for that portion of the public for the MTV ADD viewers. Everyone go and watch High Sierra and Petrified Forest.
Yeah, I remember when buying a movie ticket meant two solid hours (Jurassic Park, 1993, 2 hours 7 minutes)--now, the ADD set complains about anything longer than 90 minutes, never mind that shorter length plus higher ticket-price make what little you do get much more expensive.
----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Belly Of The Steel Beast
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy