Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

texasgirl

One Too Many
I thought it was excellent! Again, the attention to detail was fantastic. I can't tell the difference between a 34 and 36, but even if I could, it wouldn't bother me. It was a glimpse into the 30s, and I wanted to step right into it!

There were several scenes that were shot beautifully, the airport one, the moonlight through the trees at Little Bohemia, all amazing.

The acting was great- Johnny showed the many sides of Dillinger- his passion for Billie, and Marion was beautiful and compelling. Bale- I probably would have cast someone else, but he's ok. I could have stood to see a bit more of Giovanni.

I think the original plan to make this on HBO and more of a mini-series, a la Band of Brothers, would have been better. I wanted more, and I think the characters would have been more developed if they had more time.

I will say it's not what I expected from the trailer. It's not a fast paced action film, and the better for it. Go see Transformers if that's what you're wanting.

Overall, it left me wanting more and I am looking forward to seeing it again and again to catch all the little details :)

vintage68

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
I thought it was excellent! Again, the attention to detail was fantastic. I can't tell the difference between a 34 and 36, but even if I could, it wouldn't bother me. It was a glimpse into the 30s, and I wanted to step right into it!

There were several scenes that were shot beautifully, the airport one, the moonlight through the trees at Little Bohemia, all amazing.

Overall, it left me wanting more and I am looking forward to seeing it again and again to catch all the little details :)

I agree. I plan on seeing this one several times to catch all the little details.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
TexasGirl, there is a gal in the film that you see in one scene standing behind an to the left of J. Depp that looks EXACTLY like you with your hair as styled in your Avatar!!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
we went last night-first group of PICS

A group of us (BAWMHRS and friends) went last night to see the film at the HUGE and amazingly fabulous Art Deco movie palace The Alameda in Alameda, CA. Two gentlemen drove their vintage cars. Here's Tony's 1936 Citreon (sp?), and Ray's 1939 Buick. Ray's the one in the brown Homburg and incredible topcoat with the violin case!
368584612.jpg
368584616.jpg
368584621.jpg
368584678.jpg
Here's a group pic taken in the theater's lobby, we asked a teenage kid to snap pics of us as a group with all of our cameras! I'm wearing a V-I blouse and skirt (both new Ralph Lauren) with vintage 30s hat and vintage accessories. All the other ladies wore vintage, all of the men wore vintage.
368584626.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
second round of PICS

Here's a few more from going to see the film last night:
Galen seen here in the left of this first pic, and I had a great time discussing vintage mens' clothes and hats when were all at dinner after the movie. I'm in the middle facing to the back (you can see my red hat), I had my hair set in a vintage 30s style.
368584667.jpg
WOW, such great outfits all the men had on, and look at those vintage spectators!
368584689.jpg
What I wore; the clip brooch, watch, flag pin (with 48 stars), gloves, crocheted purse, hat and my eyeglasses are vintage. The silk blouse and silk skirt are new V-I Ralph Lauren but look very 1930s! Husband Chuck in vintage trousers, 30s DB jacket (from FL member Orgetorix) and fedora.
368584659.jpg
368584650.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
Slightly tangential to the movie, but I blame that guy's violin case! ;)

Anyway, I just got home from my daily trip down the gym, and on the way back I detoured to stop by Ted Blocker Holsters. They're a local company who--you'll never guess!--makes holsters ;)

I point this out because they manufactured shoulder rigs for Depp and two other principles whose names escape me at the moment, and what was described to me as a sort of "pocket holster"-ish thing that Bale wore on his belt in the film.

They had a copy of Depp's cordovan-coloured rig on a mannequin body at the store, and it was pretty sweet looking. Definite vintage vibe, but I don't think it'll be offered for sale as-is (liability issue, unfortunately).

Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat that a little ol' Portland-area manufacturer got to make some of the on-screen props for a major film (again: they also did some of Harrison Ford's harness in at least one of the first three Indy films). And they've got some pretty nice off-the-rack stuff, to boot!

pistolpete

Familiar Face
Shaw it/Loved it.

Slow start but once I was in, I was in. The actors, many from other great films/series were fun to remember. Band of Brothers. Bagger Vance. Entourage, etc.
Clothing details were spot on I thought, down to Bales' full black boot. The sunglasses, the engraving on Depps' belt buckle. Also finally everyone had the correct hair-cut.

vwguy

New in Town
texasgirl said:

I am a little biased, but I thought the whole airport scene was amazing ;) The light from the flares really made it and the black & white portion was a nice touch. I could watch that scene over & over, you know, just so I can see myself again!

Here are a few more pics from last night:

My GF and I waiting in line

pep10.jpg

My friend Chad

pep9.jpg

Random extras

pep12.jpg

The reception afterwards

pep16.jpg

Brian

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
If you like seeing movies just for movies sakes disregard the following.

I have seen the movie twice; first at the SF premier on the 29th where the PR agency brought in a bunch of us dressed in period fashion to meet and greet (the PR person rented a Fedora for the occasion... )

The 2nd time went with a group of reenactors, and Art Deco Members (including chanteuseCarey! )...to the Alameda Art Deco Cineplex.

The movie was made for the masses for sure. I would have preferred an up n coming star in the role rather than Johnny since it was hard to separate him from the character...making it harder for me to get into Dillinger.

Dillinger's story is great! but considering the length of the movie it left me wanting more from it. I think it could have been edited tighter. There were a couple sound glitches and a few make-up/lighting improvements that could have been made. The gaping holes from the wounds were well done!

The comment about his 'prince albert' made the audience giggle because of modern meaning but I don't think it was the intention of the script...It was fun to see one of the extras I met at Viva Las Vegas in the first robbery...he is the guy that Dillinger talks to about his money (picture of him on my Myspace page).

What I am excited for is the Amelia Earhart movie that they showed a trailer for!

chanteuseCarey said:

That's me on the far left in the blue.

3683209722_5ddffb3a6d.jpg

Took this photo at the restaurant we ate at afterwords...I have never seen a pile of Fedora's before.

I got to see it this morning at the local AMC theater #16 the one with the big stain on the screen they refuse to fix. Anyway I took one of the "special needs" ladies from church because she was very interested in seeing it from the trailers she had seen.

I liked it a lot, it was really neat except some of the jumpy styled hand held filming in some of the action scenes were a little bothersome. Depp was fine in the role I think, and the cast seemed to be well played and selected.

I may see it again so I can get a better feel for it.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like many of us, I wanted to love this movie, but I just didn't. It looks good, but like Marc said, empty inside. And for a movie with such a long running time, I left not knowing not much more than when I went in.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hi MissJeanavive, it was great seeing you last night!! I LOVE this blk/wht shot you've posted here, will have to try doing some on the computer of ours.

MissJeanavive said:
The 2nd time went with a group of reenactors, and Art Deco Members (including chanteuseCarey! )...to the Alameda Art Deco Cineplex.

3683209722_5ddffb3a6d.jpg

Took this photo at the restaurant we ate at afterwords...I have never seen a pile of Fedora's before.

MrBern said:
Interesting that it was shot in Hi-Def digital. I suppose fewer & fewer movies are shot on film.
I have heard that Hi Def Digital has a much finer "grain" than film today and makes for a crisp image.

While digital allows easier image and sound editing plus easier image manipulation for artistic and mood values.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Public Enemy

I saw the movie today with my 17 yr/ old son. The scenery, special effects, and costumes were spectacular.

The "gun" stuff was also top notch.

Story line was very true to history,
except...

They showed Pretty Boy Floyd being shot by Melvin Purvis (via rifle) at the beginning. I believe that he was actually shot and killed in November, '34.

The scene with Johnny Depp entering the Chicago Police Department offices was to me, well, a bit unbelievable.

All, in all..a GREAT film.

Maguire

Practically Family
I thought it was definitely a good film. However i agree something "was" missing, perhaps its just that when i see johnny depp i don't think john dillinger, i think johnny depp. The personality perhaps didn't come out.

That said it was enjoyable, some of the camera work was interesting and seemed to be almost low budget. Baby Face nelson was great and Giovanni Ribisi as Alvin Karpis, although a minor role has to be given props- they got a guy who really looked like karpis.

The clothing and scenery and period effects were all great, i found the summer scenes especially interesting to see with all the men wearing the white/cream colored pants and suspenders and boaters etc. I like the attention to detail as well, and its good to see a guy play nitti who actually looks like him!

My two friends who saw it with me either fell asleep or complained about it being boring or overstretched. I agree they could have filled up the time or focused on showing the plotting of a robbery (michael mann directed Heat, so we know he knows how to build tension and put in a great bank robbery scene) and while the bank robbery scenes were great, they were rushed and individually did not build much tension the way they managed in heat. Perhaps its because i knew how it would play out, while in heat i did not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21