Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

Barchetta52

New in Town
I just finished the book, and was very impressed. I've read many books about Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, Ray Hamilton, etc., but this book put it all together. Somehow I hadn't digested the fact that all this happend within a couple of years. I'm seriously pumped to see the movie.

Last week I was in my hometown of Fort Worth, Texas and went by the Mulkey street house that Machine Gun Kelly stayed in for a while. Pretty cool.

Now where did I put that Tommy gun? lol

Torpedo

One Too Many
I am really keyed up to watch this movie. Unfortunately, it seems this one is not presented in Europe simultaneously with the US. :rage: So, until September, nothing...

Very atmospheric pics, BTW. It is good to see a Browning Automatic Rifle together with the stereotypical Tommy Guns (BARs were used in the well known Bonnie and Clyde ambush, for instance).

In one photo a hat with a pleated ribbon (instead of the prevalent bow-shaped style) is visible, which is an interesting detail, too.

Story

I'll Lock Up
texasgirl said:
3589644437_4a34753df2_o.jpg

One of you ladies HAS to swipe this pic and crop it for your Avatar! :eusa_clap
rofl.gif

Levallois

Practically Family
Ghostsoldier,

Thank you very much for the photos - many I hadn't seen before. July 1st can't come soon enough.

John

The Shirt

Practically Family
St. Paul, MN

Landmark Center will be having a re-enactment of the trial of Evelyn Frechette.

July 15th and 16th
Infamous Gangster Trial Reenactment - Evelyn Frechette
F.K. Weyerhaeuser Auditorium; 7pm; FREE (call to reserve a seat)
Famous gangster moll Evelyn Frechette goes to trial in Landmark Center as local judges, lawyers and actors team up to recreate her infamous 1934 trial. Frechette was charged and convicted of harboring a notorious criminal, public enemy #1 John Dillinger. Narrated by John Dillinger, the trial reenactment illustrates the dangerous gangster world and its ability to draw in people on the fringe of it. Please call 651-292-3063 to reserve a seat.

http://www.landmarkcenter.org/events.html

Adele

One of the Regulars
From the Chicago Tribune Article:

–The Biograph Theater in Chicago is now a live theater called Victory Gardens Biograph Theater. Spokesman Jay Kelly said they hope to run 1934’s “Manhattan Melodrama” around the time “Public Enemies” opens. Dillinger was watching the film on July 22, 1934, at the Biograph before he walked out and FBI agents shot him to death.

I'm jealous.

Hesitant on getting excited about the "Public Enemies" movie... don't want to be excited and then end up disappointed.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dixon Cannon said:
Does anyone know, in this film, do they pronounce John's name correctly?
He actually pronounced his name Dilling -ER, not the Dillin - JER
that we've come to know.

So like Shilling-er on HBO's "Oz".

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
WOW... I had not seen any trailers untill now.

The BAWMHRS group we're part of are looking at a bunch of us going to see the film this week in vintage garb. Many in the group also have vintage cars and hopefully may get to have them parked out in front.

Wonder how many vintage clothes and vintage car enthusiasts around the country may do the same.

bruce wayne said:

Story

I'll Lock Up
The NYT weighs in
http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/07/01/movies/01enemies.html?hpw

Mr. Depp looks good as Dillinger — few contemporary actors can wear a fedora as persuasively — but the performance sneaks up on you, inching into your system scene by scene. The same holds true of “Public Enemies,” which looks and plays like no other American gangster film I can think of and very much like a Michael Mann movie, with its emphasis on men at work, its darkly moody passages, eruptions of violence and pictorial beauty. Mr. Mann’s digital manipulations, in particular, which encompass almost pure abstraction and interludes of hyper-realism, is worthy of longer exegesis, one that explores how this still-unfamiliar format is changing the movies: it allows, among other things, filmmakers to capture the eerie brightness of nighttime as never before.

01enem600.jpg

Interesting sidebar, 14 slides of gangster hideaways
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/06/26/travel/escapes/20090628_gangster_slideshow_index.html

What's wrong with the caption to #10?
28744985.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot