Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

Lance Uppercut said:
I did two nights of background/extra work on this film . . . they spared no expense as far as wardrobe and makeup is concerned. My scenes were outdoors and at night, they had me dressed as a well-to-do Banker type.

I've done a fair amount of this type of thing over the last 9 years. Road to Perdition being my favorite experience, ALI being my least.

I recently watched a screener DVD for Public Enemies . . . I was not impressed with the end result.

Which location were you when you did your work with the Movie?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Public Enemies *New Movie*

I saw a trailer of this film recently:

Public Enemies - An adaptation of Bryan Burrough's book Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933–34 directed by Michael Mann.

6a00d8341c9e5b53ef00e55350d3f58833-800pi

Set during the Great Depression and starring Christian Bale as FBI agent Martin Purvis and Johnny Depp as John Dillinger.

public-enemies.jpg

It's going to be released in the US on July 1st 2009. UK on the 3rd of July.
Has anyone else seen heard of this?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have seen and heard of this film...sometime last year, I think, when there was a small article about casting-calls for extras.

I'm really looking forward to it. I saw the trailer for this film and it looks pretty good. I can't wait til it comes out.

Cricket

Practically Family
I am so looking forward to this movie! I think it is being released on July 1, which cannot get here soon enough. Aside from the story itself, I am excited to see the fashion, cars, etc.

vwguy

New in Town
My city is having a big to-do for the premiere & they're even having a special showing of the movie and reception for those like myself who were an extrae, I can't wait!

I need to search down a decent Fedora, otherwise I'm good to go. And of course I'll be sure to post pics of what everyone was wearing ;)

Brian

astrang1

New in Town
Hi,
This month's Empire film magazine has a good feature on the making of Public Enemies. It looks pretty good and they seem to be using a lot of the real locations where the events happened. Looking forward to it. My only reservation is that the book focused on all the gangs of that era. Ma Barker, Pretty Boy Floyd etc not just Dillinger. I wonder if a mini series might have been a good idea to encapsulate the whole story of that 'war on crime'
Al

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The fellas on the "What hat are you wearing today?" and the "Post New Hats here" threads can enable you into finding a decent Fedora! You can always find fedoras new and vintage on evilBay any day of the week...

vwguy said:
I need to search down a decent Fedora, otherwise I'm good to go. And of course I'll be sure to post pics of what everyone was wearing ;)

Brian

MattStat

New in Town
The book is excellent, too

There's lots fan of this forum will find of interest in the book---which almost certainly will be more true to history than will the movie.

Burrough's (the author) doesn't spare the clothes talk.

From my review of the book:
Dillinger, it must be said, is highly filmable and had excellent taste in dress, a “clothes horse.” Discussion of dress salts the book. One passage sees Dillinger buying “sassy cravats” to go with his sharp boater. Another incident describes him donning a pair of size 24 Hanes briefs, “a pair of lightweight gray slacks, black socks, red Paris garters, and white buckskin Nunn Bush shoes. He buttoned his white kenilworth broadcloth shirt and twisted on a red-print tie.”

Hoover was no sartorial slouch, either. One picture shows that he knew that when wearing an overcoat, one must also wear a scarf for balance; and he didn’t neglect the pocket square. This was the time when male elegance was at its peak, and kids dressed like adults instead of the other way around.

sidonie

New in Town
Following the Public Enemies production

I've been following the Public Enemies production and build up to the movie since February 08. I've been in contact with some of the actors and extras and got to hear about the behind the scenes action. The costumes, fedoras and cars will be stunning as well as the authentic settings such as the Crown Point Jail and the Biograph Cinema. Open July 1, folks!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ethan Bentley said:
It's going to be released in the US on July 1st 2009. UK on the 3rd of July.

"On Monday 29 June, the stars of Universal Pictures’ PUBLIC ENEMIES, Johnny Depp and Marion Cotillard, and acclaimed film director Michael Mann, will be bring some ‘30s gangster glamour to the West End, when they attend the European Premiere at London’s Empire, Leicester Square."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21