Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Puckering on leather jacket from water?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Something's up with the leather because even thin calf hide or cow should hold up okay under water. I don't mind thinner leather myself. As for taste and fashion jackets - it's subjective. I really hate the look of them but that's why I'm here.

winterland1

Practically Family
Against my better judgement (again) I used a damp cloth, per a friend's recommendation, to dry and remove a few marks on the back of my pebble grained jacket. I guess the cloth was too damp, because the areas that I rubbed have seemingly stretched out, and the pebble has smoothed flatter. In the places that stretched out, I have puckering spots down the back. Any ideas for how to deal with this? I was thinking about lightly wetting the area, and then letting it hang dry...

I you post pictures that would really help. FL loves pictures.
I would bring it back to where you purchased it to get it exchanged, refund or fixed. If that doesn't work contact the manufacturer and complain. Maybe you will get a refund and you can buy a jacket that you can take a shower in.
If that doesn't work, try things recommended on FL to fix the leather.

I would imagine that there is no manufacturer in the world (especially not a fashion company) who would recommend going at your expensive leather jacket with a wet towel. This will negate any refund. It's not their fault someone decided to do so. I'll bet there's a "dry clean only by reputable leather cleaner" tag in the jacket (as there should be).

I would imagine that there is no manufacturer in the world (especially not a fashion company) who would recommend going at your expensive leather jacket with a wet towel. This will negate any refund. It's not their fault someone decided to do so. I'll bet there's a "dry clean only by reputable leather cleaner" tag in the jacket (as there should be).
So what do you do when it rains? Jeez. For $1000, you better be able to get wet!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Not exactly gospel but a VERY quick google search showed up numerous sites that advise using a damp towel to clean leather jackets. e.g.:

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-leather/

I'd be contacting the manufacturer and while being polite always works better, call into question the quality, that you expected better for a $2500 jacket (don't have to tell them you got it on special) etc etc. Get your money back and use it to buy a real jacket.

Please let us know how you get on.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I bought a Hugo Boss jacket in the sales last July. Took it once, found it had a felt-tip pen mark on the arm. Initially, I read up on how to remove that a mark, tried it and just made the thing worse - the suede darkened alarmingly. I took it back to shop - the skies opened on the way there, causing more darkening - and showed it to the manager, who happily offered me a refund, which I took. Then I found my way here...

TeeJay

New in Town
Well, my first post here, after some time only reading silently. Maybe I can help clarify some things here. Is that jacket a pure aniline one? Because if it is pure aniline leather, even if it is strong horsehide, it would not be water resistent. There are some very expensive aniline jackets out there, which look and feel great, but you should not wear them in rain. If you do not know it, it can be very frustrating to pay 1000$ for a thick leatherjacket and then find out that it is not made for bad weather.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner