Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pulling off a green suit

cptjeff

Practically Family
It's always fun making your first post on a forum, but here goes.

Recently I was at a thrift store, and found a three piece suit that fits mer perfectly. And I don't mean it needs jut one or two minor modifications, I mean perfectly. In great shape too, made by Anderson-Little, which from the little research I've done is a respectable brand. Nice slim fit too.

Just one catch: It's forest green.

The question would be: Is there any way that that look can be pulled off these days? Or do I just have to use it as separate pieces like I suspect, and only ever wear it together in St. Patrick's day?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I think that would look nice when done well. The accessories are important: brown or cordovan shoes (possibly in suede), plain white or simply patterend shirt, a knit tie and brown, gray or even a green fedora.

Looks nice in my mind's eye. Green is versatile.
btw, welcome!

edit: some inspiration
AA050.jpg

AA92.jpg

AA158.jpg

AA411.jpg

AA418.jpg

RM Bantista

New in Town
Of course one may wear a green suit these days. The first question is why would you wear a suit? I generally wear suits for work situations. Or other serious situations such as gatherings. A three piece forest green suit sounds like it may be just the thing for fall or spring. Brown or grey fedora. Burgundy Homburg. A lot of options. Shirts and ties and squares are affected by many factors such as texture and cut which one may only surmise at this point.

If such a thing can be a sensible addition to ones wardrobe, it may be a benefit to be a bit adventurous.

rudy

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Green Machine

I have a linen Paul Frederick suit in a light green colour and a Breanish tweed style green suit for winter like picture 3.

billyspew said:
Here is the finished article, just in time to put it away for the winter :(
IMGP3991s.jpg

This olive green Irish linen suit is nice too.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Generally blue and yellow shirts work well with green, though attention should be paid to choosing just the right shade. I have a hunter green sportcoat that I've matched with deeper shades of pink, violet and lavender with great success.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Green tweeds, of various hues and patterns, are one thing. Most of the illustrations above seem to depict green tweeds which are entirely appropriate in the right settings (namely, the countryside).

I am afraid that my view of the thing you have picked up is that it is an abomination. I'd be interested to know the era but I suspect sometime in the 1970s. There is a reason you don't see many suits that colour. I would say that the best thing to do is to pull it off, and throw it in the bin!

Sorry to be blunt but, hey, you asked!

Boxytheboxed

New in Town
I feel like you can definitely pull it off, but it might just be best to ask a fashionable lady friend, they usually seem to know when you can wear things like a green suit.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Al Capone wore a green "sport suit"...

to his trial in Chicago, at least according to Eliot Ness. I've only seen B&W pictures from the period, so I'm not exactly sure what it looked like, but I suspect it was some variation on a lovat/green tweed- maybe with an action bacl a la J.J. Gittes in Chinatown.
I think you can probably make that suit work, but it would look better in a tweed.
Pair with some sharp brown shoes and a brown hat and see how that looks...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
IMO, use the suggested colour combinations and keep the suit since it fits you well. The hat you pair it with is fine. The only thing I would do is have a tailor put a button-hole in the lapel as that would make it look less '70s as on the whole only '70s suits lack button-holes.

cptjeff

Practically Family
New development: While watching Colbert, he did a cut in to the Glen Beck show, and one of the guests there was wearing a suit almost identical to mine, only with no vest.

Looks like I may be able to get some use of of this sucker after all.

cptjeff

Practically Family
More of "I can actually take this out in public." Some vintage styles age better then others. For example, I don't think I noticed any zoot suits in the show off your suits thread.

It was just kind of a signal that this can be more then a costume piece.

Tiller

Practically Family
cptjeff said:
More of "I can actually take this out in public." Some vintage styles age better then others. For example, I don't think I noticed any zoot suits in the show off your suits thread.

It was just kind of a signal that this can be more then a costume piece.

When it comes to vintage styles imho the difference between costume and "regular" clothing is the confidence of the wearer. If you act as you do every other day, and aren't visibly nervous all the time most people won't notice. You may feel a bit insecure at first in the same way some people feel about a new hair style, but if you have confidence, and become known for the style people will eventually expect it out of you. Many of us now are asked "Where's your hat?" when we aren't in one lol.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
To be frank and honest, which we need more of around here,
to be frank and honest-
I personally think that the suit in question will be difficult to "pull off",
due to its being neither contemporary, nor vintage.
It is not an exceptional suit and will look like a '70s suit.

B
T

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Tiller said:
Many of us now are asked "Where's your hat?" when we aren't in one lol.

I finally got to this point the other day. And I'm not even an every-day hat wearer.

More to the topic, I wore a green-gray DB the other day and no one noticed anything out-of-the-ordinary (given that I'm usually wearing some kind of sport coat or suit). I was skeptical as well, but it depends how you put it together.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Here's the ensemble as I wore it the other day:

greensuit3.jpg

greensuit2.jpg

Details:
greensuit1.jpg

I recently bought this paisley Corneliani tie. I loved it in the pictures and thought it had a black background, but when it came, I found it was blue on a kind of dark green. I was disappointed at first, until I found it works perfectly with this jacket (IMO). Went with a navy pocket silk to pick up the blue in the tie.

greensuit4.jpg

Now my local cookie delivery boy will wonder why I am wearing this at 11:30 at night.

funneman

Practically Family
Since we're being frank...

ctpjeff: It looks like a nice suit, but if you are going for a vintage look I'd say the pants are to snug.

kuwisdelu: either my eyes are in backwards or you have that coat buttoned the wrong way. Also a nice looking suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy