Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchasing a Custom Fitted Custom Hat While Living in The Mid Atlantic Area

ClaytonMoore

New in Town
I would love to purchase a custom made rabbit fedora, made to my own head measurements. Unfortunately I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US, where no custom hatters who you can physically visit, exist. In order to feel comfortable purchasing something I would need to have the fit exactly right, the only real way to do this would be to have a conformateur measure you, or have a hatter do it physically. I don't trust myself enough to get it down to half/quarter sizes long oval/oval. Are there any custom hatters around today (I know Art offered this before he retired), that either do trunk shows to my area, or would be willing to mail a conformateur to me. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would love to purchase a custom made rabbit fedora, I want something similar to George Reeve's "Superman" fedora with an untapered tall crown, wide ribbon, etc., but to my own head measurements. Unfortunately I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US where no custom hatters who you can physically go to exist. In order to feel comfortable purchasing something I would need to have the fit exactly right, the only real way to do this would be to have a conformateur measure you, or have a hatter do it physically. I don't trust myself enough to get it down to half/quarter sizes long oval/oval. Are there any custom hatters around today (I know Art offered this before he retired), that either do trunk shows to my area, or would be willing to mail a conformateur to me. Thanks!
If you place a deposit I will mail a conformateur to you. Or I have a way of determining your head shape without going that route. It is time tested and works well. 50% of my custom business is online and usually mailing the conformateur is not required but if that is what is needed then sure.

rogueclimber

One of the Regulars
Mid Atlantic is a pretty big area:

The Middle Atlantic region is an area in the northeastern United States. It includes the states of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia.

I'd think you can find a hat maker within said area

If you place a deposit I will mail a conformateur to you. Or I have a way of determining your head shape without going that route. It is time tested and works well. 50% of my custom business is online and usually mailing the conformateur is not required but if that is what is needed then sure.
I have a thread here in the Lounge....Wolfbrae Custom Hatters.

You could check with Tim at Pure beaver hat supplies. He may be still making hats or could direct you towards someone in that region. My prices for a rabbit felt custom start at $350, top quality felt, vintage grosgrain ribbon, vintage Japanese silk liners, all of your choosing.

ClaytonMoore

New in Town

You could check with Tim at Pure beaver hat supplies. He may be still making hats or could direct you towards someone in that region. My prices for a rabbit felt custom start at $350, top quality felt, vintage grosgrain ribbon, vintage Japanese silk liners, all of your choosing.
Thank you for your response, I will consider it. I don't need anything too fancy, just a good, conservative hat that'll stand up to the elements. Like they had back in the day. Nothing too flashy or expensive, 350 isn't bad though, I'll have to think about it.

Thank you for your response, I will consider it. I don't need anything too fancy, just a good, conservative hat that'll stand up to the elements. Like they had back in the day. Nothing too flashy or expensive, 350 isn't bad though, I'll have to think about it.
For the $350 the hat will be a 160gr Usst or a 150gr Winchester felt. Roan leather sweat and the vintage grosgrain and silk liner. My wait list is running 8-10 weeks.

ClaytonMoore

New in Town
For the $350 the hat will be a 160gr Usst or a 150gr Winchester felt. Roan leather sweat and the vintage grosgrain and silk liner. My wait list is running 8-10 we

If you want a road trip: Milwaukee has a custom hat shop. Buffalo has a custom hat maker.
It's unbelievable that there none here, it really is. Washington DC, Baltimore, Philly, and not a single custom hatter?! Sometimes you wish it was still the 50s, but then again they didn't have big screen TVs back then, did they? Anyway, rant over, thanks for the feedback!

It's unbelievable that there none here, it really is. Washington DC, Baltimore, Philly, and not a single custom hatter?! Sometimes you wish it was still the 50s, but then again they didn't have big screen TVs back then, did they? Anyway, rant over, thanks for the feedback!
Tim @PureBeaverHatSupply is your best bet for someone in your area. Tell him Robert from Wolfbrae sent you.

I know it must be a tough sell, but don't be afraid to order at a distance. I'm sure Robert can take care of you, or any other custom hatter that will work with you.

I live in Ohio, and I have a half-dozen hats I love that Gannon in Portland, OR, made for me.

A conformateur is best for stiff felts, like bowlers. As long as you get the circumference right, and your general head shape (oval, long oval, etc.) a soft felt will fit to your head.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Robert makes great hats.

20230719_102522.jpg

Thanks, it'd be quite a drive for me to get over there, do you know how much he usually charges for a rabbit hat?
No, I am not even sure he still makes hats. But he may know someone in your neck of the woods. He sell hat making supplies now as well as runs a school for hat makers. He was on the expensive side.

ClaytonMoore

New in Town
I know it must be a tough sell, but don't be afraid to order at a distance. I'm sure Robert can take care of you, or any other custom hatter that will work with you.

I live in Ohio, and I have a half-dozen hats I love that Gannon in Portland, OR, made for me.

A conformateur is best for stiff felts, like bowlers. As long as you get the circumference right, and your general head shape (oval, long oval, etc.) a soft felt will fit to your head.
The issue is, I don't know what either my head shape or headsize is, I just know the size I "usually" wear, which differs manufacturer to manufacturer. I've measured my head hundreds of times, but it all changes depending on how tight I wrap the tape measure, and when you get into half sizes, whew! I doubt anybody could possibly figure out such a thing unless they either used a confromateur or visited a custom hatter who "knows his stuff". I do badly want to get a proper bowler in the future though, which complicates it further.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace