Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pure Beaver for $300

Tyto

New in Town
Following Matt's suggestion, I just left a couple of Stetson fedoras and an Akubra with Baron of California Hats (they're a stone's throw from Disney Studios in Burbank) for a re-block to long oval (Stetsons) and a reblock to reduce the Akubra by two full sizes. I'll report next week on the results, if anyone's interested. Based on the level of service and Mark's commentary on the procedures, though, I'm optimistic.

But for the subject of the thread: Baron's has a special going until the end of October--pure beaver custom hats for $300. Mark didn't have any on display (still filling orders with them), but he'll put one out next week to show the patrons.

Anyway, I'm thinking that my black or midnight blue Bogart special might be closer than I thought....

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That was me... I don't recomend them for much... they ruined a few of my vintage hats. Though if you are changing your hat from a regular oval to a round oval... and they are local... I'll take it to Barons.

If the hats were vintage, I'd mail them to Optimo.

Tyto

New in Town
Matt:

You warned me, too, but reblocking a new-make OTR seemed safe enough, as you seem to think. I'll see the truth of that next week.

Baron's "home-made" examples that I saw appeared to be well-constructed, based on my very, very limited knowledge, so I thought I'd consider them for a custom. But in the recent weeks of browsing the archives I've heard so much said about makers who contribute to this board that I've become reluctant to use someone else if I go that route.

Just curious: what, specifically, did Baron's do wrong with your vintage hats? Or have you discussed that elsewhere in the forum?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
They were supposed to rebind the edge of a 40's Stetson I owned and they cut the edge shourt by a half inch then they steamed a super high curl into the brim.

They shrunk two of my modern hats when i asked them to do a dimentional brim cut to get the Indiana Jones look.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Pure beaver for $300.00

I have 2 of Steve's AKA Fedora pure belly beavers hats.

Steve only charges $225.00 for beaver and his blends are alot cheaper.

Yes i said $225.00 for a 1000X hat on some sites.

Gotta love that beaver. Thanks Fedora.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy