Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pushing Daisies

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
I didn't see a topic about this on here already, so I thought I might as well start one. Does anyone but me watch Pushing Daisies on ABC? I ask because it is full of very vintage things in terms of clothing and cars.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
SPOILERS AHOY!

Pushing Daisies is my one of my all-time favorite shows! I'm a big fan of the other stuff the producer has done as well (Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls), but PD definitely wins!

Chuck's wardrobe is kind of what convinced me that it was okay to wear the clothes I really wanted to wear more often than just Halloween. I think that Ned looks strikingly like a young Cary Grant or Gregory Peck and I love his suits with skinny ties!

The color saturation of the show is SO technicolor and I think it really creates the world of Coeur de Coeur! I love the flashbacks to Ned's childhood, and HAVE YOU SEEN THE HABBIT THAT OLIVE HAS BEEN WEARING? It's fabulous!

I am in love with every character and all his/her quirks! I watch the show more often than I go to Church when it's in regular season ( :( )

It's late, so I'm not really offering any intelligent thought, I just love the show!

I kind of feel like the world of the Pie Maker is one that is frozen in time a little, because Ned still lives, like we saw in this week's episode, in a world where Chuck is his best friends and they "dress up like dinosaurs and stomp play-dough villages." He has continously pointed out that he doesn't like change (cup-pies, Chuck's new appartment, etc.) The Aunts didn't leave their house long before Chuck was dead-- they were stuck in a time warp they created. This surreal, technicolor world seems to stem from this desire to arrest change. Maybe?

:D

Have I said how much I love this show?

Edward

Bartender
The aesthetic reminded me very much of Babe (the whole show is like a bizarre crossbreed of Babe and Desperate Housewives) in its creation of a fictional world, just a little to the left of the twenty-first century. I liked it very much in that respect as it represents a lifestyle I strive to embrace: accepting the benefits of modernity without rejecting them any wonderful elements of what has gone before. I liked it very much.

just_me

Practically Family
I, too, love this show (though not quite as much as Dead Like Me). Here's hoping it's on for a long time.

maggiethespy - I think you did a great job of describing it.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
This is one of the few shows my wife and son will watch me. The look of the show is great. Emerson's clothes and comments keep me coming back.
I just hope they can sustain this show because of how different it is when it's good it's great; but when it bad, oh man it's painful to watch.

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
Edward said:
The aesthetic reminded me very much of Babe

Yeah, you know I never thought about that, but it does look sort of "Babe" like. My first though (and apperantly many others) was that it looked like the French film "Amelie".

Edward

Bartender
I can see what you mean re Amelie.

In some ways, it putrs me in mind of an almost Amish approach to technological developments, albeit one that starts with the 1950s rather than the 1880s(?).

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Down2BDapper said:
Yeah, you know I never thought about that, but it does look sort of "Babe" like. My first though (and apperantly many others) was that it looked like the French film "Amelie".

I definitely thought of Amelie. Also, Edward Scissorhands.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
:eek: Always thought the proper place for shootin' irons was either a holster, slung over a shoulder, or in an emergency-cache or the safe myself... :p

I think the knitted gun cozies/holsters ensure that the finish isn't scratched, and polishes them at the same time as holding them...

On another note, I think I might have to make myself a Olive-is-a-nun costume...I just love the cut and the color. I could also run through the field across the street singing "The Hills Are Alive...."

except I live on a prairie...

Bluebird

New in Town
I love this show!! I wish I had started watching it when it started. I am slowly working the hubby into watching this show (I have caught him laughing...aha!). He is always teasing about the colour, but I love it because it reminds me of the old MGM musicals and technicolor process.

It is a show that the whole family could watch. I am slowly learning other "swear words" that I hadn't heard before. "Jiminy Christmas!" My friends and family have always laughed at my "swear words", so I am profoundly grateful to learn a few more for them to shake their heads at!lol

^_^bluebird

Bugsy

One Too Many
Down2BDapper said:
I didn't see a topic about this on here already, so I thought I might as well start one. Does anyone but me watch Pushing Daisies on ABC? I ask because it is full of very vintage things in terms of clothing and cars.

This is one of the few shows that I watch religiously. There is a kind of quirkyness that is really appealing--so different from the rest of the shows. It's delightful to see that, after Ned brings someone back to life and then reintroduces them to the other side of the grass, that some CSI doesn't come charging in to solve the "crime".:D

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
Sadly, from what I hear the ratings this season are not as good as they could be. I encourage anyone who likes the show or thinks they may like the show to watch it tonight and get those ratings up.

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
Okay, seriously. PD has been on break for the last two weeks now and I've heard news that the network is going to look at the ratings on the next two episodes to determine whether or not to cancel it. If you really love this original, well written, show than I encourage you to watch it and make everyone you know watch it as well.

If you want to get even more involved, here is a great website to check out:

http://savepushingdaisies.blogspot.com/2008/11/donations-are-pouring-in-another.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy