Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Yes, some of these combos do disprove that piece of conventional wisdom, given that several of the ones contrasting complimentary colors are still quite pleasing. Still not a fan of the silver/white over green and mustard though. It is funny how much more exuberant and wild men were encouraged to be when putting elements of their wardrobe together. Wonder when things got so regimented. Perhaps it's connected to the increasingly formal character of the lounge suit in the post-modern west?

I never quite agreed with that wisdom. Contrast is a great thing. I really love the boldness of these shirt and tie combinations. I have been actively looking for several of these fabrics in the swatch books of Jantzen Tailors, in my recent shirt reproduction/buying adventure.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i think windowpanes can work well if they're not too bold / garish and worn casually:

manwithbike.jpg

windowpanesportsjkt.jpg

and in muted colours:

brownwindowpane1.jpg

howies_tatter_large.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
this vintage colour coordinator shows a classic colour combination; white and dark green always look great, but the addition of tan and yellow is inspired.

ColorWheel7.jpg

this one is more unusual. i've always felt that blue and green were rather uneasy bedfellows, being next to each other on the colour wheel rather than across from each other (complementaries). the theory is that the brain prefers to see a clear distinction between colours rather than two that are confusingly similar in hue. any thoughts ?

ColorWheel4.jpg

nicked from fine and dandy blog.

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
That colour wheel is quite helpful. I really need to collect more vintage magazines and fashion plates.

I was quite happy with this ensemble of mine from the other week. Something is normally off in my outfits (trousers sagging, shirt sleeves too long for the jacket, etc.) but this time things worked out.

402969665.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
...Something is normally off in my outfits (trousers sagging, shirt sleeves too long for the jacket, etc.) but this time things worked out.

Chasseur, you do yourself a disservice. you're always very well turned out. if you have a look on fine and dandy blogspot you can see all of the colour combinations in this set.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
this one is more unusual. i've always felt that blue and green were rather uneasy bedfellows, being next to each other on the colour wheel rather than across from each other (complementaries). the theory is that the brain prefers to see a clear distinction between colours rather than two that are confusingly similar in hue. any thoughts ?
I must confess I like the blue green combo. I was also told by some dames that they learned blue and green don't go well together. But I think it depends on the tone. A strong dark blue tie to a pale green shirt? I think it's cool.

Looky here. Some stuff I found in Berlin. The blue tie actually looks better with the shirt than the red one.
greenandblue.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Flo, i agree that the tones should be kept apart if going with blue and green; yet in the colour combo aid above they're almost identical in tone !
my feeling is that blue and green aren't bad, as in colour faux pas, but aren't really kicking things off either.

(i think either of those ties work with the shirt and it would depend on the jacket colour which you went with. ie. brown or navy)

The Holeproof ad above is a strange one. I think the plain pale green shirt with that shade of blue suit is interesting and works very well, and helps the emerald green tie look less out of place.

But the socks! The green is far too close to the blue. That particular combo is jarring to my eye.

Floey, I'm not sure that either of those ties are very good choices. The dark blue to my eye looks just odd; you might just about get away with the maroon one, but again a bit odd. An vibrant darker green would be perfect, I think. And a brown suit.

bk

Flat Foot Floey

Just odd? [huh] Ok, I don't understand it but respect your opinion. I don't have man green ties but I may try it out.

this is where ties come into their own, by tying things together (get it ?). they can give you a darker tone of a shirt and a complementary for zing. in this case a dark green tie with thin stripes of cream and dark red would be ideal !
Sounds good. Will you send me this tie please? Haha.

Flat Foot Floey

Looks spot on. Very, very nice.

Oh my. I tried to stop buying more ties but...well you know. There never seem to be enough of them. Even the "simple" designs, like this one.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Just odd? [huh] Ok, I don't understand it but respect your opinion. I don't have man green ties but I may try it out.

Sounds good. Will you send me this tie please? Haha.

I've got a green tie with horizontal stripes (White, i think and one other colour maybe?). I think it is a pre-war German one. I'm planning to sell it. If you are interested, I'll post a pic.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I've got a green tie with horizontal stripes (White, i think and one other colour maybe?). I think it is a pre-war German one. I'm planning to sell it. If you are interested, I'll post a pic.

TT, if FFF passes on that one I would be interested. AAK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy