Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
You are going to wear a repro black SS uniform as a "suit"? :suspicious:
Well, I try my best not to offend. I don't put any insignia or anything like that, and with that, most people in my area have NO idea what it really is. I just can't deny that it looks very sharp, even if the Allgemeine were just a bunch of political crazies.

As they say: "I may wear the uniform, but I'm not the man"

EDIT: I also understand you are from Germany, and I can see how that would upset you. I've just had a deep respect for the German military forces in general, with excpetions of course, after finding out that one of my relatives was in the Heer during WWII.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a difference between the military forces of Germany in the 3. Reich and the Waffen SS. Many men got drafted into the Wehrmacht and propably had no big choice but the SS was just a bunch of criminals and is ZERO acceptable. And I have zero "respect" for them. Quite on the contrary.

Last edited:

Chrome

One of the Regulars
What I would do, is to edit the jacket a bit. I'd lose the collar piping, two buttons from backside and change rest of the buttons. I'd also lose the sleeve cuffs and if it is serge, sewing top button hole shut would make it three button jacket easily. Editing pockets too would be option.

You'd lose the original look, but you'd still know it. After that no one else would recognize it. Downside is if you are using it in historical reenacting you would have to buy new one.

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
Alright, here's the deal.
I very rarely wear the actual jacket. I mainly bought it for showcasing in the future, as I plan on teaching 20th century military history at a university. That picture was mainly to show my point, not to start controversy ._.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I very rarely wear the actual jacket. I mainly bought it for showcasing in the future, as I plan on teaching 20th century military history at a university.

If you're going to teach history and want to use the uniform in class, then finish it off with appropriate insignia so it's representative of what you're trying to demonstrate, and wear an actual suit.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure what teaching value there is in showing a (repro) SS Uniform to history students in University.

If it is to serve an "illustrative" purpose, there are plenty of color photos of the real deal to show.
(Also cheaper.)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure what teaching value there is in showing a (repro) SS Uniform to history students in University.

If it is to serve an "illustrative" purpose, there are plenty of color photos of the real deal to show.
(Also cheaper.)

I agree, period photography in a presentation would serve best. But if he's going to have it in class, it should at least not be worn.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What Nick and Fastuni said. [huh] Are you gonna tell the students it looks cool and sinister too?

Back to topic. Stripes on stripes. Bernard Boutet de Monvel in the 20s
crbst_Boutet_20De_20Monvel.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The tie throws it off for me - ought to be solid. I really like the horizontally striped shirt with white collar though.

DamianM

Vendor
That is a lot of clashing.

And the Nazi as a demonstration piece is fine that's why Auschwitz keeps standing. Its a reminder of past evils. but don't wear it

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Those are great! They should be made available in every store that sells menswear to peruse before making purchases and in every gents home as a reminder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay