Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about 70s Air Force jacket.

rgraham

A-List Customer
I know nothing about these jackets, and I'm wondering if someone can fill me in on what it is.

It is being sold for $80. Is that what it's worth?

IMG_0178-vi.jpg

IMG_0177-vi.jpg

bbc1969

Familiar Face
rgraham said:
I know nothing about these jackets, and I'm wondering if someone can fill me in on what it is.

It is being sold for $80. Is that what it's worth?

Based upon what looks like a quilted liner, it is an MA-1 version flight jacket. It was derived from the B-15 I believe.

In looking at a couple of vendors (US Wings, and Flightjacket.com), the prices for new manufacture range from $50.00, to $79.00 new.

I am not an expert on values, but without any other information of it history, or any other details, I believe $80.00 is priced high. Maybe thats just me though.

blethook

One of the Regulars
bbc1969 said:
Based upon what looks like a quilted liner, it is an MA-1 version flight jacket. It was derived from the B-15 I believe.

In looking at a couple of vendors (US Wings, and Flightjacket.com), the prices for new manufacture range from $50.00, to $79.00 new.

I am not an expert on values, but without any other information of it history, or any other details, I believe $80.00 is priced high. Maybe thats just me though.

Agree that it's an MA-1 jacket. It may be worth $80, or more if it is a military issue version (as supposed to the civilian version).

You need to ask the seller for more details. Normally there is a paper tag inside the left pocket that will tell you a bit more about the jacket (contract no, stock no, manufacturer, etc.) so you can date the jacket. The zipper should also help you date the jacket.

Nonetheless, it is a good, functional (warm) jacket.

Hope that helps.

Peacoat

Bartender
You could ask the seller to send you a pic of the tag and then post it here. That would tell me exactly what the jacket is.

If it is an issue jacket, and a L or XL, I doubt that you can touch it for any thing close to $80--probably at least double that. It has been a while since I checked on prices, but an early 60s Skyline would probably go for $600 to $700.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Thanks all for the helpful information.

I went ahead and offered him $60.00, and he accepted. It has a few holes in the cuffs, but the rest of the jacket is in pretty nice condition. the inside is immaculate.

Here is the label with all the information.

jacketlabel-vi.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
I am no expert, but it looks like the civilian version that they make. Yes, you paid about what you could get one new for, BUT...they are all made in China now, yours is made in the USA. That would be enough of an incentive for me personally.

blethook

One of the Regulars
rgraham said:
Thanks all for the helpful information.

I went ahead and offered him $60.00, and he accepted. It has a few holes in the cuffs, but the rest of the jacket is in pretty nice condition. the inside is immaculate.

Here is the label with all the information.

jacketlabel-vi.jpg

Oooh...
I think you've struck a good deal...It is a military issue MA-1 from 1972...

Congrats!!

Peacoat

Bartender
I think so too. In my pilot days, I spent a lot of time in the L2-B. Same jacket as the MA-1, except lighter weight and no flap on the pockets.

I just compared my 1968 Alpha MA-1, and my 1967 Satellite L2-B, and both of those tags are the same as the tag you posted pics of. Good buy.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Stock number

I came across this thread and thought I could offer some help to members identifing flight gear from say the late 60s. All mil spec flight clothing national stock numbers (NSN) all start with 8415-xxx-xxxx. If it doesn't say 8415 it is commercial. They try to trick us by having 8514 or some other decoy number. By law they can not use 8415. The NSN was an eleven digit number until maybe late 70's. Then they switched from an 11 to 13 digit NSN. Now a piece of flight clothing would be 8415-xx-xxx-xxxx. The two digits in the second series would be either 00 or 01.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I love MA-1s. I currently have ten in my collection. Your jacket is a 1972 Alpha, E-series, MA-1. It is exactly like the very first issued flight jacket I ever owned...size, manufacturer, contract, date...everything is exactly the same! My jacket was first issued to my friend, an Army helicopter pilot, in 1972 and he gave it to me in 1976. He had never worn it. In fact, it was still in its plastic bag when he gave it to me.

Your jacket appears to be in very good condition. You've done well. It is well worth eighty bucks.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails