Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about choice of Aero leather interior pockets

holdencain

One of the Regulars
To those forum members that have experience w/ Aero leather jackets:

What have you found is the best or preferred type of interior pocket?

I frequently see folks go for the G1 style snap closure pocket in the leather *facing* for their highwayman or half belt.

Do folks think that a G1 pocket on both sides is the best set up? or would you do a G1 on one side and a horizontal pocket on the other side?

I have a 30's half belt in the pipeline, and currently have spec for G1 pockets on both sides.

Thanks,
HC

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I gotta admit, I have no idea what a G1 pocket is ....

Of my two Aeros, one has two interior vertical opening (single snap closure) pockets and the other has two interior horizonal opening (single snap closure) pockets. I prefer the former but my "perfect" solution would be to have one gun pocket on the left side (i.e. for my right hand) and a horizontal pocket on the other side.

The gun pockets on my Highwayman mirror the Napoleon pockets that are popular on mountaineering jackets and are perfect for carrying your cell phone or other items that you to access on a frequent basis. (Despite their name I have never found an instance where the gun pocket on my Aero or Vanson jackets has worked well for carrying a firearm.) The horizontal pockets on my other Aero are very deep and provide an easier place to stash a long slim item (e.g. maps). Both have their place. Having both would make my jackets much more versatile.

PS as I am right handed you can reverse the above setup if you are left handed.

Dav

One Too Many
I have similar to Ace, one with facing one with lining. Having tried the two I prefer the facing. They seem to be easier to put things in and easier to open although they can be quite deep. There is nothing wrong with the lining pockets but I found they seem to be a bit to far towards my armpit, also adding extra leather to that area which isn't really desired.

andy richards

Practically Family
Interesting subject. I have on all the Aeroleather jackets I've ever owned two vertical acces snap-closure inner pockets. Some call them "pistol-type" pockets. For me these are the best interiors pockets there are. The main reason for this is, that you do not have to open your jacket completely to reach into your inner pockets. The vertical acces pockets are easy to reach. Also they are deep enough to stow away your wallet etc.
Good luck.
Andy

Peacoat

Bartender
Aaaah, sorry. I am a JanSolo-ite and thus use his terminology! The G1 style pocket is the vertical access snap closure pocket...."pistol type".

HC

Jan Solo is an exceptional guy and never makes a mistake. It is a G-1 pocket and has been called that for as long as I can remember. I have the G-1 on the left and the map pocket on the right. It is a good setup for me, as I use the G-1 for what it was intended. This leaves the other pocket for whatever else needs to be carried. If you have G-1 pockets on both sides, that would work too.

I too prefer the G-1 pocket..and have them exclusively in all of my Aeros. In fact just ordered a new zip sleeve Bootlegger with a G-1 style pocket on each side. In my opinion the G-1 style pocket offers easier access plus very secure. My main beef with lining pockets is that they can tend to break down and sag open with use.
HD

JanSolo

Practically Family
The entire process of making a jacket including cutting of leather and lining panels and sewing the pocket bags takes up to a full day. I would say a realistic figure would be 1.5 jackets per machinist per day.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I only have G1 pockets in my Aeros. Two of those jackets only have one pocket, but in retrospect I would have chosen to one of each side in all of them. I like them a lot better than traditional horizontal inner pockets. I have no CCW permit (neither do I need one), but would imagine anything like a liner that could stick isn't an option, so that "pistol pocket" monicker is really misleading and should be put to rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner