Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for why you're here?

Haaa...no no..not St. Peter..St. Paul...and virgin Mary! Peter,Paul And Mary of "Puff The Magic Dragon" fame!!...Folk singers..!!!
LOL...now that's one reason I'm here! The humor...
HD

Flora

Familiar Face
HoosierDaddy said:
Haaa...no no..not St. Peter..St. Paul...and virgin Mary! Peter,Paul And Mary of "Puff The Magic Dragon" fame!!...Folk singers..!!!
LOL...now that's one reason I'm here! The humor...
HD
Hehe, I knew most likely that it probably had nothing to do with the Bible because the only real holy figure that has recorded an album is Sam Roberts. Look at that hair and eyes. You know he's Jesus reincarnated as a rockstar. [angel]
Also, one thing you guys have to know about me (I'm quite new so I'll say this), I have an extremely good but an extremely loose sense of humor. There is nothing that I won't joke about. So if I say something that seems too cruel to come out of a 16 year old girl's mouth, chances are, I sure as Hell don't mean it.

Hmmm..I thought Sam Roberts was actually Brother Down...a spiritual monk that traveled aimlessly on a Bridge to Nowhere. Living in a Quebecian cave during Lent. Careful of those holy eyes...they can bring on an Inhuman Condition that could lead to weeks of being grounded with rocknroll fasting for a sixteen year old fan.
HD(HeavenlyDude)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
And another thing:fedoras on the top of the heads and politeness, genteel style underneath was norm and conformity in the Golden Era.
Now it is not, it is eccentric. Like this lounge and the people therein;)

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
I am here because I am old fashioned. It was the music of those era by Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, Rodgers, Youmans, F. Loesser, Lerner & Loewe that initially drew me in. Not so much for the movies, but then I am trying to cultivate that taste now through TCM. I also appreciate the fashion and the manners back then. The era we are living in now has mostly lost them. Our technology has been fast forwarded since the space age and we became so complacent and casual. "Do whatever feels good" has been the theme since the 60's. Prayers have been abolished in public schools since '63 and we have to deal with guns now instead of who's eating chewing gum, or the who's the most talkative. Times have changed. I would honestly say that I am spoiled by today's high technology although I would like to remain old fashioned in manners and cultivate a taste in fine living. BTW, I am a Christian. ;)

Flora

Familiar Face
HoosierDaddy said:
Hmmm..I thought Sam Roberts was actually Brother Down...a spiritual monk that traveled aimlessly on a Bridge to Nowhere. Living in a Quebecian cave during Lent. Careful of those holy eyes...they can bring on an Inhuman Condition that could lead to weeks of being grounded with rocknroll fasting for a sixteen year old fan.
HD(HeavenlyDude)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think when you're into Golden Era-style fashions and/or music, cars, antiques, any part of the culture (including ettiquette), you want to share the experience with other likeminded people. Just like, I guess, guys who play darts like to play in clubs, or people with an interest in old Chevys join the Chevy Club.

For us, though, the vintage appreciation thing is not particularly common, and the Fedora Lounge clearly gives us that opportunity to commune with others who share our interests and who understand how we feel and what we like and dislike. That's why I'm here. I really enjoy seeing everyone's clothes, hats, antiques etc and knowing that there are ladies and gents who have a passion for these things too.

It's also an amazing place to learn; I can't begin to recount all I've learned about fedoras and vintage leather jackets from this place. In fact, the Jacket Forum is responsible for me choosing Aero leather when I bought my Halfbelt two years ago.

Whether someone's into hats, or dancing, or flight jackets, new suits with a classic style, vintage dress, suits, shirts, spectator shoes, WWII re-enacting, mid-20th Century history, heck, you name it, there's something here for anyone interested in any aspect of the golden era or 'Classic style'.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
First, I think it was the history. I've always loved American history, especially from the 1800's to the 1960's. I've had this fascination and nostalgia for the past since high school.

Next, it would have to be the fashion. The first time I seriously wore a vintage outfit, down to the hair, stockings, shoes, everything, was the first time I truly felt beautiful. Vintage clothing certainly suits me much more than modern. I've always felt uncomfortable (literally) in modern clothing, so finding my niche with vintage has been lovely.

I've only gotten into the music recently, but I love it. I also want to take dance lessons. So this board is definitely excellent for all of those things!

Twitch

For me it the cars. The cars of the times remind me of some of the pastural and simple times in my life. Now that I own a vintage car and attend events I can escape the new days for the olds days if only for a few hours.

There has been very few redeeming features in the vast majority of newer cars. It is a sad note that car model names once stood for something attractive, bold and powerful but now are hollow wimpmobiles without souls.

So when I'm around the old cars I remember my old days. And around here the people add so much more with many aspects of nostalgic thought and appreciation that it just seems comfy.:D

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I think for me it goes deeper than fashion and style, although I certainly appreciate those aspects of the Era. For me, it's more a personal connection because of the way I was raised -- I've just never been able to understand or appreciate in any way the aggressive loutishness that's so much a part of the modern culture. I didn't want to be part of it when I was a kid, and it's even worse today -- and I understand it even less now than I did then. The Lounge is a respite from that -- a place where self-discipline and a sense of what's appropriate are considered virtues instead of character flaws.

Might I say, very well put madam!

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
gluegungeisha said:
I've always loved the music.

I was originally attracted to the fashion for one simple reason -- it fit me!

Also well put, and I'm going to have to agree with this one.

I am obsessed by how i look and how others perceive me - narcissism. The fashions of the middle 1900s accentuate the best parts of my physique and make me look the best i can. It's really as shallow as that.

And i have a mild for of OCD that forces me to find out everything about whatever i'm interested in. To the extent of making a study of the fonts used in tie labels from the 1930s.

There's other stuff that interests me about the golden era - art deco, the golden age of jazz music and modernist literature - but to me it represents a bygone age; one of oppression, suppression and repression that i cannot for one minute long for.

DOUGLAS

HATS HATS HATS

The hats! I wanted more people to see my hats and I wanted to see more of other's hats to compare with mine. As of yet I still have not been able to show them all or view all the others. Seeing the hats here has given me insight in to all the variety that has been lost over the years.I am always looking for hats I don't have yet and the Lounge is my reference book that is continuously updated. Everything else here is cake and it is a bonus and pleasure to be able to wine, dine and socialize with other members who have like interests.

Bebop

Practically Family
Hoping not to sound too philosophical, I always fool myself as to why I am anywhere and the reason I am here, as I am anywhere, is to learn and the personalities of the members. I am forever interested in how people want to be viewed, changing avatars and showing photos of themselves (facsinating), how they are viewed, how they think they are viewed and how sometimes personalities come across the screen as if the person was in the same room with you. I can't say that about any other place on the internet. Although we can't talk about politics and such, this place is pretty good at letting people be themselves. I like that. I also have learned a whole lot about hats, jackets, fashion in general and even how to cool my heels. lol

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
IThere's other stuff that interests me about the golden era - art deco, the golden age of jazz music and modernist literature - but to me it represents a bygone age; one of oppression, suppression and repression that i cannot for one minute long for.

Yes with all that style they still put away 50 million corpses because of the failure to believe in the value of democracy and freedom.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I love the 1920s and the 1930s and everything that's related to it.
It's nice to talk with other people who have similar tastes. :)

I came looking for answers on some details of WWII uniforms. (It could be argued that because of restyling myself in not just wardrobe but in mind after MacArthur, I might be "the ultimate reenactor".)

I stayed because of the people and the sense of community here. (And because other than my ex-profs, the Lounge is the only thing that lets me claim to have any kind of personal life whatsoever... :eek: lol)

Elaina

One Too Many
To be honest, I have no idea. Nor do I know why I stay.

Probably a bit of a flame, but there's a clique I don't get, don't understand why it's there, and it gets tiresome. There's a lot of callousness, and not even some courtesy to many that haven't really done much to deserve that kind of behavior. If you're not part of the "in" crowd, you're often ignored, or treated less then others.

Dunno. I'm not begging for attention, I just feel this way. And have for a long time. Since the time I shared my cat died and it was totally ignored except by Jovan whom I told off here anyway, I have truly felt that it's been a bigger chore to try to keep up appearances when it's just become blatantly obvious to me that this place is great for those that can get right into the hang of it and get to know the right people, but for the rest of us peons, it's increasingly more and more like High School.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
There's other stuff that interests me about the golden era... but to me it represents a bygone age; one of oppression, suppression and repression that i cannot for one minute long for.

For me its that history that facinates me, especially in America. Ive had that wonderlust for it all my life, and even tho large aspects of it are not discussed here, I get to be a tiny voice to add to the dynamic of this place.

That and shoes.

LD

Elaina said:
To be honest, I have no idea. Nor do I know why I stay.

Probably a bit of a flame, but there's a clique I don't get, don't understand why it's there, and it gets tiresome. There's a lot of callousness, and not even some courtesy to many that haven't really done much to deserve that kind of behavior. If you're not part of the "in" crowd, you're often ignored, or treated less then others.

Dunno. I'm not begging for attention, I just feel this way. And have for a long time. Since the time I shared my cat died and it was totally ignored except by Jovan whom I told off here anyway, I have truly felt that it's been a bigger chore to try to keep up appearances when it's just become blatantly obvious to me that this place is great for those that can get right into the hang of it and get to know the right people, but for the rest of us peons, it's increasingly more and more like High School.

Well put me down as one who is sorry that you feel that way.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred