Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on crowns 1940's and 1950's

JamesC

Familiar Face
what was the smallest crown on stetson dress hats in the 1940's and 1950's? I like the style but I just don't look right in a 5 1/2 inch crown

The crease makes the crown. Unless you plan to wear the hat with an open crown, you can make the crown height any size you wish.

JamesC

Familiar Face
The crease makes the crown. Unless you plan to wear the hat with an open crown, you can make the crown height any size you wish.

Maybe I need clarify a 5 1/2 crown I can't get the crease deep enough to look right on me with out it touching the top of my head

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
try a teardrop C crown

it can get pretty low and creates a little bubble compartment for your head to fit right into

it is probably the lowest crease and a sharp one at that

... but high crowns look great.... give a high look some time... it may just grow on you

try a teardrop C crown

it can get pretty low and creates a little bubble compartment for your head to fit right into

... but high crowns look great.... give a high look some time... it may just grow on you

Yeah, a high crown just means more to work with.

emigran

Practically Family
Have you tried to "push up a roof" so there's room...it probably won't extend past the upper outside ridge of your bash...
I love a diamond bash without a "roof" but my skull usually won't accommodate a bash without one... even with a 6" OC

JamesC

Familiar Face
try a teardrop C crown

sounds good but I don't know how to make that crown any instructions would be helpful

Is your avatar photo an example of a 5 1/2" crown? It might take getting accustomed to, but I think that hat looks swell and that a taller crown would suit you just as well.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
sounds good but I don't know how to make that crown any instructions would be helpful
Even with vintage hats my (probably pointed) skull needs some extra room, so I create a dome, or push one up that's already there. I spray the clean hat with distilled water, push the felt up and hold it for a little bit, then rest it on the top of the spray bottle until it dries. The hat's own weight pulls it down gently, and the center dome is pushed upward. That usually works. I might have to repeat the process one or two times, but the felt eventually takes on its new shape.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Even with vintage hats my (probably pointed) skull needs some extra room, so I create a dome, or push one up that's already there. I spray the clean hat with distilled water, push the felt up and hold it for a little bit, then rest it on the top of the spray bottle until it dries. The hat's own weight pulls it down gently, and the center dome is pushed upward. That usually works. I might have to repeat the process one or two times, but the felt eventually takes on its new shape.

I just push the hat down on my ears to raise the "dome" a bit, push it down around the "dome" with my fingers, and wear it until it dries, which is about an hour for felts and half that time for straws.
It always works for me the first time. No repeat treatment has ever been necessary, and my ears have always snapped back into place afterwards, so far.

Last edited:

emigran

Practically Family
Is your avatar photo an example of a 5 1/2" crown? It might take getting accustomed to, but I think that hat looks swell and that a taller crown would suit you just as well.

alanfgag... if you are referring to my avatar... that crown is actually a 5 3/4 open with 2 1/4 brim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR