Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question re hat colors

budward

One of the Regulars
What were the typical felt fedora colors in the 40s and earlier? I'm guessing black, shades of grey, and shades of brown, but would one have seen navy fedoras or other colors?

Well, let's see. They had green hats such as this but this ad is from 1951:
51StetsonPlayboy.jpg

This is a green from 1938:
1938Stetson.jpg

You also had pearl grays that look nearly white like this 1944 Knox:
1944KnoxFoxhound.bmp

They had blue hues as well but I do not have them handy at the moment. I will try to get them in later.

Regards to all,

j

Those ads are still persuasive today. I just bought a Knox Foxhound based on the last ad. :p It is supposed to be a green/black. I will post pictures when I get it.
I still need a Dobbs Mosaic and a Palomino. Come on, there has to be a few left out there. ;) Someone must have one---even if I have to stretch it to fit. ;)
DobbsMosaic.jpg

DobbsPalomino.jpg

Let's make it interesting. If someone can find me either one of these hats in at least size 7 1/4, no moth damage and in decent condition then I would be willing to pay them a $50 finders fee upon satisfactory delivery of either hat---not necessarily from the finder. How is that? :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Budward, I hoipe you don't mind me veering off the subject a bit. ;)

Renderking Fisk said:
Folks buy fedora's based on where their wardrobe is on the color chart, I've head.

Agreed. That is what was behind a lot of the planning involved with buying a hat. Stetson even included swatches of fabrics and shoes within their ad to give you an idea of what would look best with their hats. Dare I post another ad? I will add another just for example :p:

1946Stetson.jpg

Imagine having ads that teach style nowadays. Come to think of it---bring them on! We need them now more than ever! :p Someone tell Stetson to use that 1946 ad again and while you are at it---tell them to make hats like they did in 1946 too. ;)

Regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS said:
From my studies for my PHD. Brown # 1 color.

PHD. stands for pilled higher dryer

Nah, they could color beaver fur any color under the sun. They did too. There were whites, greens, blacks, browns, tans, blues, grays, peachy pinks and even some mauves for good measure. The colors in between make the shades too numerous to count. :p
I thought PhD stood for Phoney Doctor. More for playing than actually being. :p

Regards to all,

J

Psykik

New in Town
Some awesome (and educational) ads here!
If someone published a book with reprints of ads like these, it would sit proudly on my coffee table. (Well, I don't actually have a coffee table, but I would buy it and sit it somewhere!)

Rob

Psykik said:
Some awesome (and educational) ads here!
If someone published a book with reprints of ads like these, it would sit proudly on my coffee table. (Well, I don't actually have a coffee table, but I would buy it and sit it somewhere!)

The only problem is that many of those hat companies still exist and would probably sue if one were to make a nice picture book out of the ads and a few paragraphs of explanation. It has been likely far past their copyright date but the artists still might have something to say. :p
It is my contention that these ads and most ads from the Golden Era were real works of art. Advertisers and ads of today are cheap and taudry. I don't even look at them in magazines today. There are a few that are nice though these are usually cigar ads and the like in magazines like Cigar Afficianado. Some of them have hand drawn art that gives it the classic flavor.

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Anyone out there find the Palomino yet? ;) :p

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Those are great photos, maybe the vintage Knox I scored recently at Wear It Again Sam, is in those Knox photos. Mine is a wonderful golden camel color.

PHD means "Piled Higher and Deeper," which is the end degree starting with a B.S. degree (and we know what that means), then "M.S." (More of the Same) and then, of course, the PHD....

At least that is what I heard in college.

karol

Yeah the Fifth Avenue and the Saxon were nice hats from Kno during that time. I recently stretched a Mallory from the WWII era and when I was getting it good and soaked on the outside, it never went through to the inside of the hat! Talk about dense felt! It was, for my purposes, waterproof without all the modern chemicals we use today. That is what I call quality. :cool2: Oh, and it fits perfectly now without much ado. ;)
Here is another interesting Knox hat ad. The hat on the left is really an interesting hat. Can you see why?:

Knoxads.jpg

and here's a 1937 Stetson just to make it interesting:

1937Stetson.jpg

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Interesting ads ... The hat on the left has a curious looking hat band, almost like the one we are discussing for the Bwana hat.

It also looks quite soft, like my beautiful camel colored Knox. I can bash that thing into any shape I want.

That is all I notice. Is there something I am not seeing?

karol

gandydancer

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
The only problem is that many of those hat companies still exist and would probably sue if one were to make a nice picture book out of the ads and a few paragraphs of explanation. It has been likely far past their copyright date but the artists still might have something to say.

It is my contention that these ads and most ads from the Golden Era were real works of art. Advertisers and ads of today are cheap and taudry. I don't even look at them in magazines today. There are a few that are nice though these are usually cigar ads and the like in magazines like Cigar Afficianado. Some of them have hand drawn art that gives it the classic flavor.

I think you are making difficulties where few exist. In those days the artists routinely transfered all rights to the client. Such a book would be nothing but excellent and free publicity for any hat manufacture still in business. They might insist upon a reference to their current contact info in return for permission, but that in probably about it. As you say by the copyright laws of those days most of the stuff is in the public domain anyway. Such a book would be a valuable education, historic, and cultural reference (some of the usage exception to the current copyright laws).

In fact the only problem I see is that coffee table books usually do not make the authors any real money.

K.D. Lightner said:
That is all I notice. Is there something I am not seeing?

I think you missed something major with the hat on the right. ;) The Tuxaway is a travel fedora that you can easily fold and roll so that it fits into the Knox tube the guy is holding in the ad. He is actually shown getting ready to put the hat into the tube. See it now?
It is a very interesting hat that is quite rare. If someone finds one with the tube, do not hesitate to send it along. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24