Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question regards perming

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Ok, question for those who might know these things!

I am toying with the idea to have my hair cut and permed. Basically, I have rather fine, straight hair which is a bit below shoulder length at the moment. Don't ask me to post a pic as I haven't got any with 'normal' hair! My thing is 30s hair, although I would probably not have it cut quite so short so I can have a bit more versitility.

The hair itself is in good condition apart from the ends, which would go before any perm anyway. My main concern is that I have dermatitis on my scalp which is always there. I cannot use alot of shampoos because of this and it does tend to get flakey, itchy and sore easily.

Is it possible for me to have a perm or do you think it will irritate my scalp too much? Most hairdressers don't even understand about seborrheic dermatitis, so I don't know what I should do! Help appreciated.

Miss Sis.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I have fine, straight hair too. Does anyone know, would it be easier to do vintage styles with a perm? As it is curls just tend to fall out of mine quickly.

zaika

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Ok, question for those who might know these things!

I am toying with the idea to have my hair cut and permed. Basically, I have rather fine, straight hair which is a bit below shoulder length at the moment. Don't ask me to post a pic as I haven't got any with 'normal' hair! My thing is 30s hair, although I would probably not have it cut quite so short so I can have a bit more versitility.

The hair itself is in good condition apart from the ends, which would go before any perm anyway. My main concern is that I have dermatitis on my scalp which is always there. I cannot use alot of shampoos because of this and it does tend to get flakey, itchy and sore easily.

Is it possible for me to have a perm or do you think it will irritate my scalp too much? Most hairdressers don't even understand about seborrheic dermatitis, so I don't know what I should do! Help appreciated.

Miss Sis.

Miss Sis, I have seborrheic dermatitis as well and I permed my hair for many years in school. The trick was, for me, to not wash my hair beforehand and to get the hairdresser NOT to scratch my scalp when/if they washed my hair so then the solution wouldn't irritate the scalp as much.
Now, when I get my hair colored and bleached and all that I ask the hairdresser to go lightly on the scratching otherwise it stings. I'm also considering getting a perm, and I wonder if the solution has changed at all...or if there is a solution for people with sensitive scalps?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
It really depends on the person. Some people with this condition actually think the perm clears it up for a spell, other's it makes it flare up worse afterwards. I couldn't say for sure. I have a normal scalp but color and perms will irritate it to some extent.

Perms are formulated for your hair type, as well as condition and porosity. As far as I know, there is no sensitive scalp solution. Since you have fine hair you *may* need a stronger perm. If your hair has any body at all, a normal perm should do well. A great average perm is Biolage by Matrix. A great perm for hard to perm hair is ISO Exo. I've also always had good results with good old Quantam perms, I think they're by Heleen Curtis. Fine hair generally needs some sort of layering with a perm to lay nice.

Have you had a perm before, ever? Some fine hair does not perm well. Might look like you slept in braids instead of getting nice, bouncy curls. Either way, you'd have more body afterwards, and it will hold a set much better.

I would suggest going to a few salons and getting different opinions. Just call and say you want a consultation, (ask if they charge for that, I don't). You can also get a test curl if you're really worried.
Nikki

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
So, I'm afraid I am a little ignorant when it comes to perming. Does a perm always have to be all those smaller, tight curls, or does the solution just keep your hair in whatever size rollers you put it in while perming?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yes, curl depends on rod size. Perms only take certain types of curls. Say, if you rolled it on purple or peach perm rods like Lolita does, it would NO WAY perm like hers looks. You can't get a "hot roller" look, ect. from a perm.

Some people are lucky and have certain hair types that with the right layering and large rods, they can come very close.... but these are rare. I had a client with natural titian hair, and her own touch of natural curl. I would perm her on huge rods, shoulder length with layers starting at about 6 inches at crown, and she had the most beautiful perm.

If your hair is 6 inches or longer it's usually going to look spirally somewhat. And the more you pick it out or comb it, the more the curls separate.

When I have a perm I usually put conditioner on in the shower, comb it in with wide tooth comb, then rinse. Then I sling my head back and forth rather hard to get all the curls to separate. Then I don't comb it again, just squeeze the water out with a towel. This always helped mine to look more 'set' than separating into a zillion different curls.

If your hair is about Johanna's bobbed length with some layers and perms well, you can come very close to her pin curled look. I could come close with my hair, however my sister's hair doesn't perm like mine at all. Would never work.
Nikki

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info ohairas... I've been curious about getting a perm myself. I have hair with a lot of natural curl to it, but I'd want to try a perm just to get a more controlled, even look to the curl. The only thing keeping me from trying one is the fear of looking like a poodle! lol Tight little curls are not a great look for me...

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Ada Veen said:
I have fine, straight hair too. Does anyone know, would it be easier to do vintage styles with a perm? As it is curls just tend to fall out of mine quickly.
Yes, it would. I have very fine hair, and before my wedding I had it permed to help it hold the curl in my wedding do. It really helped! The perm is still present, although not as strong, more than a year later. And I don't think it damaged my hair either! So I'm very pleased.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Thanks for the info, Ohairas.

I have had a perm, many, many years ago and I swear that is when I first noticed all the problems I have now, although my mother said I always had a dry, sensitive scalp as a child. It is worth knowing about checking the hairdresser with a consultation.

I would still set my hair to make it look properly 30s or 40s but would want to be able to leave it for everyday.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Ada Veen said:
oh, maybe I'm put on again... Helen, my friend lives in Bergen! it looks lovely in pictures.
It worked well for me, that I can say. And since it seems to last very long, I think my hair can live with a perm every 2.year without beeing killed.

Yep, Bergen is beautyful if you can stand the rain!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass