Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: Tipping in Restaurants, for Services, ??

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I, like Edward, always tip the concierge on the way into a hotel or pensione when i go to Italy, you do reap the benefits from doing that for sure. I have had no problems getting taxis, clothes pressed, restaurant reservations and recommendations etc. If i happen to meet the chambermaid too, i'm not averse to giving them a little tip either, as it's a thankless, poorly paid job for the most part, (i speak from experience here, as i supplemented my meagre grant through college chambermaiding).

rue

I tip 20% of my bill in restaurants to the waiter, $2 for the bartender while at the bar per drink, $5 for each bag when checking in a hotel, $10-$20 for the parking valet (depending where I am) and $5 for the pizza guy. I think that's it. [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I tip 20% of my bill in restaurants to the waiter, $2 for the bartender while at the bar per drink, $5 for each bag when checking in a hotel, $10-$20 for the parking valet (depending where I am) and $5 for the pizza guy. I think that's it. [huh]
OK, sounds good, you can run with me; now what do I have to tip you.......:cool:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well, for being my personal concierge, of course.

What were you thinking/dreaming of......[huh]

Burton

One of the Regulars
I know I am getting into the topic rather late but I tip anyone who delivers things to my house and I also tip fellows like AC repairmen who perform services. This doesnt happen too often as I have never really lived in the house I own but use it as my "base camp" and the place to store my collection.

I tip heavy in hotels to all staff and also in bars mostly so they will feel better about putting up with my bad behaivor.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bump!

This is an interesting discussion: As far as I can tell, tipping varies widely from culture to culture/background to background.

I stick to the standard 20%. I tip my hairdresser (don't visit her often, but when I do, she sure 'cleans up'), bartenders, and wait staff. I've taken a taxi once in my life as an adult, and I didn't tip (I'm never sure about that one.) Yes, I have stiffed waiters - But only when they were outwardly rude.

(I tip my tattoo artist handsomely. :))

olive bleu

One Too Many
I think it must vary with area as well as i have not heard of tipping a delivery person( for furniture, appliances etc), or i should say i've heard of it, but to my knowlege it isn't done here ..Although I'll be quite embarrased if I now start hearing that everyone does it but me. Or maybe it's because i have only actually had any new furniture or appliances delivered twice in 20 years. HA.

However..I do agree strongly with the comment from LadyDay quite a few pages back. the more physical and menial the job, the more generous i like to be with my tip. I do tip waiters, my hairdresser, taxi drivers, the pizza guy, and my mover. I love tipping my pizza guy. he always seems so pleasantly surprised, and i give him a huge tip when the weathers bad. ( He does bring treats for the dog after all :)

kyboots

Practically Family
I love tipping with $2 bills at the places I frequent. You don't see too many dueces nowadays, so when you give a bartender or a barista a 2 dollar bill, they get a kick out of it and tend to remember you (and are usually eager to serve you again next time you go in). I've had bartenders snub people next in line to get my drinks first. Maybe it has nothing to do with using two dollar bills, but it's fun.
I myself like to leave the US dollar coin ( gold color ). Most people have never seen it, and many don't believe it to be real. My father always left the 2 dollar bill. I love hearing your stories. Most don't believe they are real or that they are legal tender.Many will "buy" the bills from the tipee's to keep for themselves. It always was a high light for the person receiving it.Some of you others should try leaving the two dollar bill as well or the gold coin. Keeps an interest in the US money.----John

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I myself like to leave the US dollar coin ( gold color ).

Looks like you're heading in the right direction ;) The Loonie and Toonie are very convenient up here.

Does anyone ever find themselves unable to tip because of an unexpected situation? Like when I was last in Niagara Falls, and I went to the little girl's room at The Keg overlooking the falls (swanky place). There was a washroom attendant there, and I've never seen one in my life! If I had known, I'd have brought my wallet. I felt awful... She was very nice and the pumped hand soap for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy