Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

vintagewool

New in Town
I didn't say the post 1979 coats had a quilted lining. I said they had an insulated lining. This is between the outer shell and the inner lining. It can be felt but not seen.

The Navy and Sterlingwear both say the post 1979 coats are dark blue. They aren't; they are black. with a Melton shell.

So, the post 1979 peacoat you saw in the wild had a black Melton shell with an insulated liner to give it warmth. The Kersey coats didn't need this additional liner. They were plenty warm without.

Good catch.
OK, I keep running into partial or misleading descriptions, such as which named details do or don't match the military specificition.

Sterlingwear = "fleece"
Rothco = "Quilted"
Lands' End (not pea coats) = "Quilted Fleece"
Cockpit USA = No mention of any insulated lining; melton not kersey wool; seems to show a full-length slip lining

Is there a good photograph or cross-section diagram of the post-1979 USN mil-spec layered construction?

Thank you.

Peacoat

Bartender
"OK, I keep running into partial or misleading descriptions, such as which named details do or don't match the military specificition."

Yes, you have identified the problem. These are all civilian copies of the peacoat; they aren't peacoats. The closest is the Sterlingwear as that company had the Navy contract for years. But the pictured coat isn't a peacoat, it is just another civilian copy.

Disregard all you read about these coats as they aren't the real deal.

I don't have a cross section of the coat, but it is straight forward: outer shell, insulated liner, and then next to the body is the inside lining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner