Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions From A New Member

Inf_Blue

New in Town
Hi everybody,
Recently I realized that a disproportionate number of people that I hold in high regard wear hats. And now that it’s certain that I’m going to be wearing a suit for the rest of my life, being a little bit more stylish can’t hurt.

Where I’m really lost is where to start. The hat bashing thread is a gold mine of ways to wear a fedora. Are different styles associated with what eras, cities/countries, and classes?

What are the basic differences between the common hats I see on this forum (sorry, I don’t know enough to differentiate them yet)?

Where can I learn a bit more about the history of the fedora?

Who are the big names in vintage (and modern?) hats other than Stenson? I’ve found a great used clothing store back where my family lives, so I have a feeling that my collection might start over Christmas holidays.

If anyone can answer these questions or point me in the direction of a resource that could, I’d be very grateful.

duggap

Banned
Inf Blue, Welcome to the lounge. Let me start by saying all your questions can be answered here and by using the search feature. There is a lot written on the vintage hats. But may I suggest that before you worry about answers to all those questions and perhaps, like I did, spend a lot of money on hats you may end up not liking, try and find a hat shop where you can go and try on fedora type hats. What you find looks good to you may be a bit of a surprise. Go just a bit slow at the beginning and you will save a lot of money. Only by wearing a hat can you tell exactly what you like and what you think looks good on you. But don't be discouraged, the looking is half the fun.:)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Inf_Blue said:
Where I’m really lost is where to start. The hat bashing thread is a gold mine of ways to wear a fedora. Are different styles associated with what eras, cities/countries, and classes?

Yes. Different hats are often associated with various eras, and within fedoras, you can often tell when it started life by the surviving creases, brim size, etc. For example, a felt hat from the 1920's is quite different from one from the 40's. Alas, it takes time to develop an eye. This place is a great resource if you can spend time digging.

What are the basic differences between the common hats I see on this forum (sorry, I don’t know enough to differentiate them yet)?

Probably too broad a question to answer briefly.

Where can I learn a bit more about the history of the fedora?

Find a copy (paperback, cheap) of "Hatless Jack." Amazon should have it. Excellent history, and it also dispels the oft-repeated axiom that JFK killed off hat wearing in the USA. It will also answer some of the questions you pose here.

Who are the big names in vintage (and modern?) hats other than Stenson?

Borsalino, Mallory, Cavanagh, Dobbs, and many others are some vintage names. Today, most factory-made hats of various names are all owned by Hatco, a conglomerate that includes Stetson. Akubra, an Australian maker, has many excellent fur hats of good value. One of our members, Aaron Hats (see Merchant section) has a eye-popping selection of new hats by various makers and is also an excellent source of advice. There are also several other excellent hat sellers here, as well as several custom hatters like Art Fawcett or Optimo of Chicago.

Good luck. If you find any vintage hats this Holiday season, look for good condition, proper size, soft, dense felt, and most of all, something that appeals to you personally. Also remember that most hats can be cleaned up nicely, but insect damage... not so much.

Good luck.

PS: If you find hats sized 7 3/8 or larger for say, $50 or less, and that's too big for your head, buy them anyway, and bring them back here to sell to us. :)

K

kpreed

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to the Lounge :eusa_clap Your input is very needed.
Buying some vintage and some newer made stuff is what I do, but it always looks 30's or 40's (not real sure why, guess I just like the look) and first and most important with me is just liking it. Big name or not.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge!
My advice is to read up on all past postings.... just kidding!!
Do a search for what you are looking for and that will be the biggest help.
Sometimes you hit a gold mine and discover something you were not even looking for.
Glad to have you join us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL