Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

QUIZ: The Few.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
To get back to the title of this thread, here's another one:

Late september 1940.
Air Vice Marshal Sholto Douglas, Vice Air Chief of Staff visits a Hurricane Squadron at North Weald.
He congratulated several of the pilots for their performance and then asked one of them:
"How do you like to fly Spitfires?" !!!!

Who was the pilot.
(He later wrote about the incident in a book)

Sorry Spit, too tough for me......

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The first British cassualty in Battle of Britain

609 "West Riding" Squadron was scrambled 11th of july to aid a convoy near Portland. Opposition were both ME109 and Stukas odds 6:1.

One Spitfire bursted into flames, before it reached land. Pilot jumped out, were rescued by a boat but died of bloodloss and severe burns.
He was officially the first RAF cassualty in Battle of Britrain.

What was the name of the pilot?

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Quiz

Spitfire said:
609 "West Riding" Squadron was scrambled 11th of july to aid a convoy near Portland. Opposition were both ME109 and Stukas odds 6:1.

One Spitfire bursted into flames, before it reached land. Pilot jumped out, were rescued by a boat but died of bloodloss and severe burns.
He was officially the first RAF cassualty in Battle of Britrain.

What was the name of the pilot?

You're being gentle with me now Spit! That was Fl/Lt P.H. Barran who was sadly lost on this day.

I read Tom Neil's 'Gunbutton to Fire' years ago, but have no recollection of the North Weald incident, the old grey matter is seizing up...... I'll try and pose one for you next. Hmmmmmmmm........

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
ethanedwards said:
You're being gentle with me now Spit! That was Fl/Lt P.H. Barran who was sadly lost on this day.

I read Tom Neil's 'Gunbutton to Fire' years ago, but have no recollection of the North Weald incident, the old grey matter is seizing up...... I'll try and pose one for you next. Hmmmmmmmm........

Yep - Piece of cake, wasn't it?:)

Keep' em comming. We will have Smithy buzzing around here in a short while, so just go ahead.

rogaleo

New in Town
I'll try this:

Later known as "Mister Brown" - during WWII he scored 13 confirmed kills, five probables and one damaged. After the war he flew contraband and finally become soldier of fortune fighting in african conflicts in 60's. Very colorful guy...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
rogaleo said:
Later known as "Mister Brown" - during WWII he scored 13 confirmed kills, five probables and one damaged. After the war he flew contraband and finally become soldier of fortune fighting in african conflicts in 60's. Very colorful guy...

I know you are the one with the question and we are supposed to answere, but anyway:

There is a bell ringing somewhere, but did he fly in Battle of Britain?

Was he one of your countrymen by any chance?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That'll be Jan Zumbach.

Nice idea for a thread Spitfire. I go away for a bit and all sorts of fun things happen!

Here's one...

Who was the pilot (small clue - a NZer) who bailed out of his striken Hurricane and came down in the grounds of a stately home where a cocktail function was well underway? The pilot was promptly invited to join the festivities and enthusiastically did.

I'm not online as frequently what with being in the midst of moving country but I'll check back tomorrow and will give the answer if I've stumped everyone.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Chas,

You are right Sailor was from SA so not him, and neither is it Al Deere (he also only flew Spits in the BoB with 54).

Anyone else have an idea?

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Aaargghhh - he's back and he's bad...............
Quick, leg it Spitfire!

Nice to see you again Smithy :)

I cannot answer your question though, it'd be a complete guess. Desmond Scott?

Can anyone put a name to this though? - in the film 'Battle of Britain' there's a scene featuring a Polish training flight, being led by an English squadron leader (played by Barry Foster). As he tells them to "steer 230" the Poles peel off one by one (repeat please!) to attack a formation of Luftwaffe planes. Who is the real life BoB squadron leader that this incident is based upon?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
ethanedwards said:
Aaargghhh - he's back and he's bad...............
Quick, leg it Spitfire!

Nice to see you again Smithy :)

I cannot answer your question though, it'd be a complete guess. Desmond Scott?

Can anyone put a name to this though? - in the film 'Battle of Britain' there's a scene featuring a Polish training flight, being led by an English squadron leader (played by Barry Foster). As he tells them to "steer 230" the Poles peel off one by one (repeat please!) to attack a formation of Luftwaffe planes. Who is the real life BoB squadron leader that this incident is based upon?

Hi Ethan,

That part from the film is based on an incident that occurred with 303 when Ronald Kellett was CO. Sorry all my books and whathaveyou are in shipment at the mo so can't give the date, but if memory serves it was late August.

And the answer to my question was F/O James Hayter.

Cheers,

Tim

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Finally back at the computer after business trip - and all the questions are answered!
BUGGER!!!!!

I will have to come up with a tough one now Smithy is back!:D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Another South African.

Cambridge university gliding Club.
Joined RAF and got his wings at the beginning of the war.
Appointed Aide-de-Camp to a Air Vice marshal, but unhappy with staffwork he constantly agitated for an operational posting.

Finally got it and was killed in action over Kent in october. Age 22.

Who is the pilot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner